Nephilium or Sicarian

Dark_Master

Hello Brothers,

I have a conundrum, I currently have a Nephilium, but it has never performed.

I am looking at getting a Sicarian, but lacking funds.

I have other AA, a Contemptor Mortis, 2 X Mark V Mortis Dreads and a Fire Raptor.

Do I wait to see if the Nephilium gets boosted in the rumoured new codex or sell to get funds?

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b606/Dark_master1/6397A33F-A3AE-48C1-B4D0-F6248ADCDAA8-861-000000EACBFA427B_zps10419083.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b606/Dark_master1/A412C24E-000C-44AA-A9E4-038C95758487-861-000000EAB7E7D61D_zps012d5713.jpg

DM

I would not rely solely on rumours. However, I wouldn't go out and buy a Sicaran right away either.

My advice is to hang on to it for now. You have other AA options until then. Maybe it will get a niftly Formation in a Campaign.

If the update is true and the Nephilim does not get better, then you can consider getting rid of it. But now is a point where you might regret it very soon ;)

GW track record shows that an underpowered unit always gets a buff in a new Codex, so hang on to that Nephilim.

But they dont always make it a world breaker either...

If I wanted or expected world breakers I would play Eldar instead. A nice buff making the Nephilim a good tool to use is enough for me. They would only have to give extra 2 strenght to the missiles and shave about 30 points to make it a tool that can compete against speeders and dark Talon in FA Slot.

GW track record shows that an underpowered unit always gets a buff in a new Codex, so hang on to that Nephilim.

Unless they are DA units... tongue.png

Funny, but the reality is that this Codex was a major leap from the previous and there's no denying that.

6 shots Twin Linked S7 AP4 Rending Ignores Jink saves + hull-mounted Heavy Bolter on a Fast 13/12/12 4HP chassis for 135 points. Can get sponson HB for 4*meltabomb and sponson LC for 8*meltabomb. Can also get HK missile, ceramite plating and dozer for the usual price.

I like to run mine like without sponsons, with Dozer and the Legacy of Glory: Schizm of Mars. 165 points or skimmer killing murder ;)

We don't need higher S missiles or 30 points shaved off.

Unrelenting hunter should mean just that. This unit is suppose to be a hunter, so the rules should help it hunt.

The rules should help it get behind and stay behind the target. The rules should also encourage our opponents to not let us stay behind them.

Rules Ideas

- Coming in from opponent's board edge (get behind them)

- Vector dancer (stay behind them)

- All shooting attacks made vs rear armor are tank hunter, ap 1 and maybe rending. (You don't want me behind you)

I like those ideas.  The main thing is the kit for this model is already done, it is what it is.  So changing the weapons is not an option, you could maybe redo the missles but thats about it.  The special rules are what are gonna have to change.  I like your ideas, especially the rear armor one.  I think another way to make it more usable would be to change how unrelenting hunter is now (weapon destroyed can become immobilzed) to just straight out be you can make any penetrating hit roll an immobilized result, and maybe a modifier to grounding tests to FMCs, that way if you penetrate or wound its gonna hurt, and the buffing of the weapons or price changes isn't as important.  The rules and fluff seem to me that its role is to immobilze stuff early to prevent escaping and to let the ravenwing close in, but the way the rule is written its really not good at that at all.

the problem with changing the mega cannon is that it has to be on par with a twinlinked lascannon as they are swappable for no point difference.  So either the lascannon needs to be buffed in some way which would be a little odd, or the mega cannon needs to be a point costed upgrade, which changes the design and balance of it quite a bit as the two are suppose to be interchangable.

I'm not against ValourousHeart's idea, but what he's suggesting sounds more like stuff they'd give an Eldar flyer.  I'm thinking Stormstrikes + price drop are more likely.  One more thing I'd like to see - swap out the twin linked heavy bolter for a twin linked multi melta as a free upgrade, just like the Storm Raven gets.

I have played a Nephilim many, many times.... and I'll tell you something.. it's a beautiful model, don't get rid of it.

That being said I have a Sicaran coming in the mail. Ruleswise it's the cat's meow and will hopefully eliminate my need for Anti-air. However, I find in most my Dark Angels lists, I really don't use tanks so it's a bit of an oddball unit for me. You really gotta look at your list synergy. Do you play with tanks? Infantry?

I'm not against ValourousHeart's idea, but what he's suggesting sounds more like stuff they'd give an Eldar flyer. I'm thinking Stormstrikes + price drop are more likely. One more thing I'd like to see - swap out the twin linked heavy bolter for a twin linked multi melta as a free upgrade, just like the Storm Raven gets.

You are probably right... But the DA have always struck me as being just as mercurial as the Edar... you never know if they are going to be fighting with you or against you.

If we were playing the "what if" game, and I had the chance to go back and make a minor tweak to the Nephilim while it and the codex was still in development.... I would have only made 1 design change and 1 rule change.

That is it, just 1 little change to the sprue and 1 change to the rules.

I believe that simple adjustment would have made all of the difference.

Since GW makes models first and then develops rules for those models, I'll start with the sprue.

The 1 sprue change would have been to make the Lascannon mounts fit where the heavy bolters go on the model.

That means that there would be 2 options for the main gun, either no side guns or 2 upgrades, either no wing weapons or 2 upgrades, and either bomb or no bomb.

From there the team would have started working on the rules... and I would have made one more suggestion.

Make it 1 unit, not 2.

Being 1 unit with options means that they would have probably given more thought in to the available armaments.

The beauty of this one is that they can still do this with the next codex.

My reasoning for vector dancer is that I see the Nephilim with the jets on the undercarriage working similar to a quinejet (Winter Soldier movie).

*EDIT* Added Eldar comment.

The bottom jets aren't supposed to go on the Nephilim.  They're supposed to go on the Dark Talon - for the Hover Strike ability.

I don't think GW is likely to make any changes to the Nephilim that require changing the sprue.  Even my idea is pretty unlikely, and all they'd have to do is add a little supplemental extra sprue for the two MM-bitz.

But there is nothing stopping them from making changes to the rules based on parts already on the sprue.

Like giving it a bomb, which is already in the kit.

It really isn't any different then the DW sarge.

People want to use the other bitz in the box for the sarge, but the rules only allow the pw & SB.

Archived