10th company list musings

FlamingDeth

Hello! Gazing at my million billion scouts that I have acquired over the years, I thought to myself, why don't I just go make a scout list. To address concerns in advance, I know it won't be terribly competitive, and I also know that default C:SM will give me far more tools to build a functioning list, but I'm going to stick with the DA codex that we all know.

To start with I'm going to build a company master of some sort. I'm as of yet unsure where to go with him, apart from modeling him in scout armor. The first thought was to give him a storm shield so as to ignore the fact that scout armor is only 4. The next thought was to make some sort of artificer scout armor to represent the power armor save; that one is growing on me rapidly.

The rest of the list is where its tricky. I'm thinking a BoD command squad in a pod and at least three squads of bolter scouts, the notion being that pregame the scouts can infiltrate into a decent position and scout into a better position depending on where initiative lands, then the pod drops and everyone bolts the stuffing out of everything. Adding on a mortis dread for support gets shy of 1k points, then I just have to fill it out to get to 1500 points, the normal value in the local meta.

One option to avoid contaminating it with piles of power armor is vehicles. I do normally play mech greenwing, so I don't necessarily want to duplicate that too much, but I can see maybe throwing cloaks on the scouts and following them around with a darkshroud, maybe some normal speeders too for saturation and a nephilim for giggles. I'd just need to make sure to build in some antitank somewhere in there.

I could also fill it out with guard. The caveat there is that I have exactly zero vehicles for them, which makes me hesitant, since if I wanted to throw bricks of dice from a swarm of cheap bodies I would be way better off just going all in with guard. Slightly better and more thematic may be adding some inquisition and/or stormtroopers, which would give me some deep striking melta and fit the scout theme way better.

Alternatively, I can go crazy and just throw a bunch of CCW scouts in land raiders with cheapy chaplains and chuckle to myself, but then the raiders would be doing most of the work.

There we go. Suggestions/comments/thinly veiled insults?

I think a Scout-themed force is a very cool idea. Ravenwing would dovetail neatly with it as a fluffy support - its meltas giving you the hard-hitting anti-tank that you'd otherwise lack. And the bikers' T5 some longevity.

Cheers

I

A guy in my shop ran an all-scout Ultra list in an 1850 tournament league we had and came in 2nd out of 16.  That said, it was loaded with landspeeder storms, TFCs and Stormtalons.

Our scouts if they were able to run as generic CC scouts with LSS we'd be in pretty good shape imo.  Stubborn scouts are a nice cheap tarpit.

I think Scouts + Landspeeder SS + Darktalons might be a cool thematic list.  I stopped running sniper scouts just because I couldn't stand BS3, so frustrating! 

Except last time I checked, our scouts didn't have grim resolve and thus don't have stubborn. I apparently do due to not running them as ultras. If I found a way to get then transports I could just stick chaplains or something with them, since fearless is usually better.

I may have to go with ravenwing since they'd get some mileage out of the fancy pants banner too. We'll see how it goes. Anyone have any off the wall ideas I haven't thought of yet, or have tried handicapping themselves with a DA scout list before?

Archived