A possible nasty BA tactic..

appiah4

1. Angels' Fury Spearhead Formation [WD47] (3 Storm Ravens, 3 Tactical Squads with Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Grav Pistol)

2. Archangels Orbital Intervention Force Formation [Exterminatus] (1 HF Tactical Terminator Squad, 1 Hammernator Squad, 1 Shreddernator Squad)

3. ???

4. Profit!

Or not?

It still costs over 1600pts though. Good for Apoc, perhaps.

I think the VV SG formation benefits from augur triangulation more. Cheaper models, and 20 dudes armed with claws.

That's fine with me, after blinging out everything appropriately, I could probably squeeze in 2 drop pod tac squads and a Terminator Librarian, at 2,000pts I'd enjoy playing this list immensely.

It still costs over 1600pts though. Good for Apoc, perhaps.

I think the VV SG formation benefits from augur triangulation more. Cheaper models, and 20 dudes armed with claws.

4 storm ravens in the list if you mix those 2 formations.  Who has 4 storm ravens?

I probably wouldnt bother trying to make a combined arms detachment by that point and just run a formation army. You already have 3 tac squads on the board. I'd just take the Angels fury, then put as many termies in each squad as possible up to 2000pts.

I probably wouldnt bother trying to make a combined arms detachment by that point and just run a formation army. You already have 3 tac squads on the board. I'd just take the Angels fury, then put as many termies in each squad as possible up to 2000pts.

Good call, that. :)

Yeah the 4th storm raven is a brutal tax to pay both in game terms and in real $$. 

Alternatively, what about our wolf friends?  As per the Forge the Narrative podcast recently:

1. Angels' Fury Spearhead Formation [WD47] (3 Storm Ravens, 3 Tactical Squads with Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Grav Pistol)

2. Brethren of the Fell Handed (Bjorn + 2 venerable dreads - also, take drop pods)

3. DEATH

4. Profit!

Or not?

Boom - 2 formations, no troop/cheap HQ tax.  You're not looking for a 1st turn charge, but more getting all your models on 1st turn and shooting.  Drop pods give flexibility in case your ravens don't come on.

Food for thought.

Also, totally this:

Just need to find the right detachment to combine with.

Not sure I get the point of going for the Dreadnought formation instead of the Orbital Intervention..  With OI I get to teleport my Terminators in at T2 (right?) and then I get to shoot/flame with them before charging into CC in the same turn with an amazing amount of S5 AP2 I5 and S9 AP1 I1 weapons..  I have 3 ravens to tackle fliers and enemy armor, and 3 very well armed Tactical Squads (Grav Pistol, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer).  I really love the way this army sounds..  What would the boxcart formation add?

Who'd be your warlord?

And what happens if you fail your 1st turn reserve roll, auto-lose?

You choose one of the character sergeants. Maybe not the best choice, but not as big a penalty for refusing a challenge as say, a librarian or priest.

They dont get a trait, though, IIRC.

Indeed :)

Or just get some drop pods filled with death company for turn 1 charge!

The rules of the game do not allow for turn one assault if you deep strike, period. Now if you were to have them wear jumps, and your opponent moves close enough in their turn and you can get a perfect dice roll.

Indeed smile.png

Or just get some drop pods filled with death company for turn 1 charge!

The rules of the game do not allow for turn one assault if you deep strike, period. Now if you were to have them wear jumps, and your opponent moves close enough in their turn and you can get a perfect dice roll.

Incorrect. The Angels Fury formation specifically allows models that have just deepstruck to charge. The specific rule of the formation overrides the more general rule of the drop pods and deepstrike.

The Stormravens appear T1, Move up the board, then you place the drop pod. If the unit inside is placed within 12" of two stormravens, they get to charge.

There's a reason that it costs over 1000pts to field.

Archived