The Angels Sanguine

GrandMagnus

ANGELS SANGUINE

"Ours is the blood of Sanguinius and ours is the honour of the Angels."

tumblr_nhe9h39OQb1s0p7kpo1_500.png

Hi brothers. So after diping into my own DIY chapter, the Golden Sons, I lost interest in the colour scheme I had created, but having a BA tactical squad and quite a love for the sons of the Angel I looked through their succesors. I really like the Angels Sanguine, their colour scheme is grim dark and their personality, the whole not showing their faces, covering them with their helmet or hoods and the dark catachombs beneath their fortress monastery lends to a very dark and mystical character.

So, without further ado, I would like to show you my first marine, a tactical sergeant who will be leading a combat squad. The red in darker than what you usually would see because I think its better than the bright red. I will also be using the BA unit markings.

The story for my company will be based just around the Age of Scouring (or just after), so just after being formed, because I want to add some of those nice Forge World suits of armour and vehicles, but there will be MK VII. Its also a very dark and unknown timeline. 

Brother-Sergeant Darius. 4th Squad, 5th Company of the newly formed Angels Sanguine, IX Legion. 

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/653159e0-9663-44f0-89eb-25e0c6f3e2ac_zps0911a9f8.jpg?t=1421096943

Darius is a veteran of the Blood Angels Legion, and fought during the defense of the Imperial Palace. He reluctantly gave up his legion colours when he became part of the new chapter, but as many of the oldest veterans he kept the white angel wings and blood drop of the legion displayed on his right leg.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-01-13215205_zpsa8fbe5c5.jpg?t=1421096941

He wields a combi-plasma rifle, known as firesong, the weapon which he used druing the siege of Terra to fell many a traitor, as well as his trusty combat dagger.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-01-13215219_zps917269fb.jpg?t=1421096942

Darius's armour original MK IV armour was damaged during the war on Terra and he was therefore equiped with the a model of the new MK VII suit.

So do indeed tell me what you think. I will try to keep this project, unlike all the others. In fact, I vow to complete atleats 2 troop choices and 1 HQ.

C&C welcome.

Split scheme? Check.

Grim Dark? Check.

Rarely seen Chapter? Check.

This is gonna be goooood...

Only C&C ill throw out is that the gems don't pop much, and BA have alot of gems. I'd make them brighter or maybe try a different colour. :)

Thank you guys.

Midnight Runner: I had mixed feelings about the yellow and blue shceme, it didnt feel grim dark enough. Also, so much yellow was horrifying tongue.png

Magic Man: I know what you mean about the gems. They are purple, because if not red it felt like the adequate colour for blood drops. However I might try doing them blue, like the lapislazuli, or emerald green, see if that pops more.

One thing about the chapter, Im gonna miss not painting faces because I want to stick to their fluff piece of not showing their faces. Although I might add some of the hoods from the DA kits, I think that could be fitting and would give me some skin to work on.

Ive repainted the gems on the sergeant to green, as you said Midnight Runner, it ties in with the helmet lenses. And since Im planning on using the blue helmets for devastators it will looks better than blue gems on blue helmets.  But I am keeping the red gems on the white wings, since those represent the legion.

Brother Callidan: The black side was done with a basecoat of 2:1 Black and Mechanicus standard grey, followed by some watered down black washes and the edge highlight first with a 1:1 black and grey followed by a light edge highlight of pure grey on the most prominent areas. 

Stellar work here, buddy. I will say that I think the red might be a tad bit too dark when compared to the color scheme of the art piece, but I think it looks pretty great in its own right. The gold cuts through the dark colors very nicely.

Noctus Cornix: Thank you brother! The red is a tiny bit brighter in real life, but the picture quality kind of dulls it down. I didnt want to do a bright BA red because I think the contrast would have been too powerfull.

Stercus: Thank you. I wanted to add battle damage to the armour as well, but Im not sure how to add it to the black armour, and it would look weird to only have battle damage on the red :P

Argent Aquila: yeeeees, more followers! :D

Im currently working on the next  2 guys of the combat squad, a bolter marine and a heavy bolter marine. BTW, any suggestions on how I can make the sergeant stand out? I was thinking that maybe a stripe on the armour  somewhere or some kind of symbol on one of his knee pads. 

Depends how crazy you go with the ornamentation, he is pretty bling-y so would stand out anyway (esp with the back pack choice). Could always use a gold helm; one of GW's own sergeants has one last seen 5th ed 'dex.

Maybe paint the rest of the squad and see how they look first?

Angels Sanguine, oh yes. Judging by that sergeant this is going to be one to watch. I wouldn't change anything about him to be honest. So long as his squad-mates sport a little less ornamentation he'll stand out plenty. Have you thought about doing the gems in a jade green? I think that would work really well. That or a nice violet.

Angels Sanguine, oh yes. Judging by that sergeant this is going to be one to watch. I wouldn't change anything about him to be honest. So long as his squad-mates sport a little less ornamentation he'll stand out plenty. Have you thought about doing the gems in a jade green? I think that would work really well. That or a nice violet.

Thank you. The gems on the sergeant are in violet, but its really hard to tell because of the deep red and black. Ive repainted them in an emerald green, which looks good but Im not entirely conviced. IM going to try out a lapislazuli / saphire on the next marine.

Needed a closer look, but yes, I can see it now. I don't know whether your repaint has solved this issue, but it looks like the central problem is too much of the gem is more or less black and the coloured part isn't vivid enough, there needs to be a stronger contrast for them really pop. Just my tuppence.

Needed a closer look, but yes, I can see it now. I don't know whether your repaint has solved this issue, but it looks like the central problem is too much of the gem is more or less black and the coloured part isn't vivid enough, there needs to be a stronger contrast for them really pop. Just my tuppence.

Ill take your advice, after all your work is a testament to contrast (love it by the way). I hope to hear your critique of the next mini and see how I might improve.

Candleshoes: Thank you, brother. Your brazen claws are awesome, I love the amount of battle damage you have added to those guys.

Archived