Adding a terminator squad, need some advice.

Helias_Tancred

Hail Brothers!

I have the Blood Angel half of the Deathstorm boxed set. I'm finally getting a terminator squad. I've heard a lot of pros and cons regarding terminators. When I looked at their weapon stats it appears their powerfists, chainfists, and the Captains hammer are all very good as anti-armor, and they also have some ranged capability .... so I have a question- Should I build and equip the terminator squad as they are in the set, or get some thunder hammers and shields from eBay and run them as assault terminators? Their dedicated transport will be my Land Raider Redeemer.

I've never used terminators before and I wanted to build them in a way I'd get the most mileage out of them.

Thanks.

Terminators with Hammers and Shields provide a really good unit at taking on dangerous targets like monstrous creatures and other elite infantry but really need a transport to get them there as they will be quite a fire magnet. Be wary of them getting bogged down or in combat with hordes of combat units such as Ork boyz or Hormagaunts; those 2+ saves will inevitably fail when your opponent throws a bucket full of dice at them.

'Regular' Terminators are a bit more versatile  in that they have some good shooting options such as the Cyclone missile launcher and the Heavy flamer which coupled with their Storm Bolters can make them a good deep striking squad to deal with your opponents back field objective campers. They can also hold their own in combat against most things, just be careful of getting them into a scrap with anything ap2 as that 5+ invulnerable save isn't reliable.

Hey sorta on topic, but how many terminators can a Land Raider Redeemer hold? 5 or 6?

Thanks.

6 becuase it can hold normally 12 but because terminators are bulky they can only hold 6. Just enough for an assualt terminator squad with librarian/ chaplain.

Actually I'm sticking Captain Karlaen (will run as my Warlord) in it along with the Deathstorm Terminator squad Alphaeus. I figure they, along with the Land Raider Redeemer, will still hit like a hammer and wreck some stuff ;)

I dont think a company banner gives extra attacks, just the chapter banner.

My Bad. Messed this up. Good i only converted one Arm with Banner and did not spend 10€ (inkl. shipping) in the Bitshop.

Although an very succesfull Turneyplayer got it on his Terminatorsquad. I will try the banners usefullness today in a battle vs grey knights.

I dont think a company banner gives extra attacks, just the chapter banner.

My Bad. Messed this up. Good i only converted one Arm with Banner and did not spend 10€ (inkl. shipping) in the Bitshop.

Although an very succesfull Turneyplayer got it on his Terminatorsquad. I will try the banners usefullness today in a battle vs grey knights.

Is that the reason he is very successful? He didnt read the rules? :P If you play 1st company, you get the Archangel banner which gives preferred enemy, which is excellent on a TH/SS unit. Especially with priest. 

If you're putting a 5 man in a Redeemer, you still have room for 2 power armour marines. Corbulo is nasty with terminators and you can still add Mephiston, or a generic librarian or chaplain or whatever...

My Sanguinary Priest has a jump pack sad.png for when I put him in the 5 man Sanguinary Guard unit w/Dante too. ..... hmmm I could always rebuild him so he could accompany my 5 man terminator squad and Karlaen? Advice?

Wait? 6 termies plus 1 power armor marine won't fit in a redeemer ... I need to make it a crusader in order to do that right?

No that +1 attacks brain fart came from me. ;P. He played the squad with some astra militarum in ba pods and hade an ministorium priest in the termisqad for armorrerolls.

Played this squad without an MPriest. Needed 3 rounds to squisch an dreadknight.raider got blown up from an multimelta shot in round 3. My gravbike and deathcompany squads. Killed his three termisquads. Got a major win.

• 3 weeks later...

Get a BA Assault Termies box, then mix and match everything, so you get two squads of Termies for the price of like 1.25 (since the kits in Deathstorm are clearly not full price).

I'm now trying to do this since I have a lot of tactical terminators already (from all editions of space hulk, Black Reach box and some metal models) and have no need for the additional tactical termies that came with the Deathstorm.

However, I just ran into a problem: the shoulder pads are not fully interchangable! The ones in BA Assault Terminators box are slightly thinner and therefore the regular ones can't be used with the arms from BA specific box.

Anyone managed to modify the parts to fit? Any advice? I suppose a part of the arm could be filed away.

For reference, the BA assault termies box comes with 5 crux terminatus shoulder pads (for left arms) and 8 normal shoulder pads. So I would need to make 5+2 pads from the regular terminator box compatible.

It's honestly very hard to make them anything but TH/SS, even with the extra initiative from Corbulo. For only the cost of a melta bomb you turn an average combat model that can thrash light/medium infantry into something that will truly terrify anything, including heavy vehicles. I do love the claw models but without them being able to reliably touch anything with a 2+ save, and only having a 5+ invulnerable themselves compared to their hammer brethren, I find them regrettably lackluster.

It's honestly very hard to make them anything but TH/SS, even with the extra initiative from Corbulo. For only the cost of a melta bomb you turn an average combat model that can thrash light/medium infantry into something that will truly terrify anything, including heavy vehicles. I do love the claw models but without them being able to reliably touch anything with a 2+ save, and only having a 5+ invulnerable themselves compared to their hammer brethren, I find them regrettably lackluster.

I hear you, TH/SS are still just so good, but with Corbulo, and even a Chaplain, the LC gents are pretty amazing. Bonus WS and extra attack for 2ccw, plus the Zealot reroll at Initiative 6, s5 plus reroll wounds, and 2+/5++ with FnP. How much 2+ armour do you realistically challenge?

If anything when you need the ap2 weapons it's cuz you're facing TH/SS boys who will get a 3+ anyway, so in that case numbers at initiative are more important. Against vehicles they are obviously less effective but enough s5 hits will wreck most rear armour.

If you love termies, ours are pretty good. Regardless of the configuration there are more efficient units in the book for the points - but, who cares right?

My favorite is the lightning claw termies with Corbulo, I give only the sergeant TH&SS. They have +1WS, +2 Initiate, +1 Strength, FnP and they re-roll wounds.

This is exactly how I run them. I always try to get them in my army and this is the way I run them.

I suppose it is dependant on the list you run. I use them as a unit with Corbulo, and Mephy, usually in a raven. Only other AP 2 in my list is from 2 fast vindis, and sometimes lucky sniper hits. A buddy of mine uses GK and absolutely hates facing TH/SS. Claws would only tickle Paladins that have 2W and FNP. And I see termies as elite infantry meant to take on other elite infantry. I do love claws on VV though!

Get a BA Assault Termies box, then mix and match everything, so you get two squads of Termies for the price of like 1.25 (since the kits in Deathstorm are clearly not full price).

I'm now trying to do this since I have a lot of tactical terminators already (from all editions of space hulk, Black Reach box and some metal models) and have no need for the additional tactical termies that came with the Deathstorm.However, I just ran into a problem: the shoulder pads are not fully interchangable! The ones in BA Assault Terminators box are slightly thinner and therefore the regular ones can't be used with the arms from BA specific box.Anyone managed to modify the parts to fit? Any advice? I suppose a part of the arm could be filed away.For reference, the BA assault termies box comes with 5 crux terminatus shoulder pads (for left arms) and 8 normal shoulder pads. So I would need to make 5+2 pads from the regular terminator box compatible.
Hmmm, mine old ones only seem to require a very small amount of chipping away the inner part of the pads to fit, they aren't very much thicker than the new ones. You could probably just use fine grit sand paper and take away just enough as well, or use a file and then sand paper to smooth it back down.

The new shoulder pads fit over the old arms perfectly that I've found.

I'm now trying to do this since I have a lot of tactical terminators already (from all editions of space hulk, Black Reach box and some metal models) and have no need for the additional tactical termies that came with the Deathstorm.However, I just ran into a problem: the shoulder pads are not fully interchangable! The ones in BA Assault Terminators box are slightly thinner and therefore the regular ones can't be used with the arms from BA specific box.Anyone managed to modify the parts to fit? Any advice? I suppose a part of the arm could be filed away.For reference, the BA assault termies box comes with 5 crux terminatus shoulder pads (for left arms) and 8 normal shoulder pads. So I would need to make 5+2 pads from the regular terminator box compatible.

Hmmm, mine old ones only seem to require a very small amount of chipping away the inner part of the pads to fit, they aren't very much thicker than the new ones. You could probably just use fine grit sand paper and take away just enough as well, or use a file and then sand paper to smooth it back down.

The new shoulder pads fit over the old arms perfectly that I've found.

Yes, I suppose the difference is so small that the new shoulder pads do not look overly huge on top of old arms. My problem is of course the other way round, I want to make 2 squads of assault terminators using new arms and some old shoulder pads. Guess I'll have to try filing away a bit on the arm side.

I used to take seven hammernators and a claw captain in a crusader

The claws on the captain will normally strike first fairly hard.

The hammernators sarge acts as a challenge ward.

Unless you are T5 or EW you do not want to chance that fight

At the end of the day, clawinators are 'better' against targets that strike at I2 or3 and are AP2.

Burner boys? Warcythes?

Archived