Heroic Intervention and Red Thirst

Riggs

Do does HI allow the VV to keep the bonuses from Red thirst on disordered charges? It says ignores penalties but I don't know how the two rules interact.

Thanks

Yes it does.  Losing the Red Thirst is a penalty for disordered charges which Vanguard ignore.

I will put this here as a similar question (which was never answered when I asked it in the OR forum).  Attach an IC to a VV.  Do a disordered charge.  What happens?  Does the IC get the benefit of Heroic Intervention or does the whole squad pay the price of having 1 guy who doesn't have the rule or a model by model case (VV keep the benefits, the IC loses them)?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well HI has no text referencing other models so it's independent of what's in the squad. So models with the rule obey it and models without the rule don't get it, is how I interpret the rule.

Edit: I suck at proof reading

That seems to be the common opinion of people I talk to.  Just wanted to make sure if I use VV and attach a IC I won't run into someonewho declares I lose Red Thirst, FC and +1 attack for the VV when I disordered charge.

But back then HI was a change to the ways deep strike works, not just a removal of a penalty on a disordered charge.

I disagree that the rule is not conferred to a joined IC. The Vanguard squad is a unit, not a model. The unit benefits from the removal of the penalty. Joined ICs are part of the unit.

But back then HI was a change to the ways deep strike works, not just a removal of a penalty on a disordered charge.

I disagree that the rule is not conferred to a joined IC. The Vanguard squad is a unit, not a model. The unit benefits from the removal of the penalty. Joined ICs are part of the unit.

I really hope you are right, though the consensus of people I have discussed this with is the opposite.

The rule is

Vanguard Veteran Squads ignore penalties for disordered charges.

The unit this rule applies to is called Vanguard Veteran Squad. The models in that unit are Veterans and a Veteran Sergeant. I don't see how the rule could be applied on a per model basis. ICs are part of the unit they joined:

While an Independent Character is part of a unit, he counts as part of the unit for all rules purposes, though he still follows the rules for characters.

I see nothing in the character rules that would forbid Heroic Intervention for joined ICs.

The rule is

The unit this rule applies to is called Vanguard Veteran Squad. The models in that unit are Veterans and a Veteran Sergeant. I don't see how the rule could be applied on a per model basis. ICs are part of the unit they joined:

The independent character is not a 'vanguard veteran squad', and as such does not follow rules which specifically relate to 'vanguard veteran squads'.

If what you are saying is true, then if you attach Dante to a death company unit with astorath, on the charge, Dante gets to reroll all failed to wound rolls too, because death company units get to do so rolleyes.gif.

Likewise, attaching a priest to a vanguard veteran squad in a sanguine wing (whatever the hell its called, I lose track) would enable them to get a free power weapon.

If you attach an independent character to the squad, does the squad gain the abilities of an independent character?

The rule is

The independent character is not a 'vanguard veteran squad', and as such does not follow rules which specifically relate to 'vanguard veteran squads'.

If what you are saying is true, then if you attach Dante to a death company unit with astorath, on the charge, Dante gets to reroll all failed to wound rolls too, because death company units get to do so rolleyes.gif.

Likewise, attaching a priest to a vanguard veteran squad in a sanguine wing (whatever the hell its called, I lose track) would enable them to get a free power weapon.

If you attach an independent character to the squad, does the squad gain the abilities of an independent character?

The rule belongs to Astorath, not the death company. His rule is "all Death Company

Marines in his unit re-roll failed To Wound rolls in the Fight sub-phase". Dante is not a death company marine.

Priest is not part of the formation. You may attach him to the squad before deployment but he doesn't belong to the formation so no.

Exactly. Being in a VanguardVet unit does not make an IC a VanguardVet any more than being in a DeathCo unit makes them a DeathCo.

"Vanguard Veteran Squads ignore penalties for disordered charges."

It says squads, not members or vanguard veteran marines. An independent character becomes a part of the squad when he joins it. Astorath's rule says death company marines.

What GrunTeufel said. Additionally Astorath's rule applies to models (DC marines not DC squads).

As a general rule the IC becomes part of the unit, not the other way around. So the IC will gain rules of the unit unless the rule itself either explicitly excludes ICs or applies to specified models (e.g. the veteran sgt. for the second part of HI). The unit will not gain the rules of an IC unless the rules say so.

Also list building happens before deciding whether an IC starts the game attached to a unit or not, so even if the formation rule did not specify which models are affected, you have already paid for the power weapon on the priest.

I thinks there is a big difference between the use of the word "Squads" and "Units", as far as the rules are concerned.

The use of the word "Squads" in the context of this discussion is simply as a unit name, or the title of a datasheet for a unit in the game. The rules for ICs refer to "Units" and I don't think, in this case, you can assume that 'Squads = Units' when interpreting the rules?

Do does HI allow the VV to keep the bonuses from Red thirst on disordered charges? It says ignores penalties but I don't know how the two rules interact.

Thanks

Yes it does.  Losing the Red Thirst is a penalty for disordered charges which Vanguard ignore.

I will put this here as a similar question (which was never answered when I asked it in the OR forum).  Attach an IC to a VV.  Do a disordered charge.  What happens?  Does the IC get the benefit of Heroic Intervention or does the whole squad pay the price of having 1 guy who doesn't have the rule or a model by model case (VV keep the benefits, the IC loses them)?

Do you have a link to that?

Archived