Any success with combi loaded vet squads?

Corrupted

I'm working on a list that needs some reliable anti-tank. At the very least I'm thinking a single drop pod with five vets, melta + 4x combi-melta. I'm also considering 1-2 more squads with the same load out in rhinos. I've never used our vets before, quite frankly I don't think they're very good, but in this case they may fill a niche.... or I may just want to use them to use them, making this a horrible idea.

I'd look at meltabombs instead of the combi-weapons.  If you take combi-meltas, you need to be pretty close to be able to get the extra D6 and you can only fire them once.  The 5pts per model you save could go towards something else to fill your anti-tank needs.

give them storm shields and they will last about as long as terminators, and they will do it for cheaper than a dwt squad :P you can even still buy a drop pod haha. im going to be doing this soon with axe's and mauls to make a melee hit team for multi-charging with actually deathwing or for tieing up other secondary units that might be issues after cc has resolved itself (such as broadsides ready to squish my terminators after a cc with their crisis suits or w/e) i can also use them to squash light vehicles under sheer strength of s6 ap4 and s5 ap2 weapons

I'd look at meltabombs instead of the combi-weapons.  If you take combi-meltas, you need to be pretty close to be able to get the extra D6 and you can only fire them once.  The 5pts per model you save could go towards something else to fill your anti-tank needs.

you could use a command squad and get 5 melta's for 10 pts more

give them storm shields and they will last about as long as terminators, and they will do it for cheaper than a dwt squad tongue.png you can even still buy a drop pod haha. im going to be doing this soon with axe's and mauls to make a melee hit team for multi-charging with actually deathwing or for tieing up other secondary units that might be issues after cc has resolved itself (such as broadsides ready to squish my terminators after a cc with their crisis suits or w/e) i can also use them to squash light vehicles under sheer strength of s6 ap4 and s5 ap2 weapons

I'd look at meltabombs instead of the combi-weapons. If you take combi-meltas, you need to be pretty close to be able to get the extra D6 and you can only fire them once. The 5pts per model you save could go towards something else to fill your anti-tank needs.

Command squads really do fit this bill better. 5 meltas are better than 2 meltas and 3 combi meltas. However, if you don't have room for another command squad (say you already have a techmarine and a command squad with a banner), they do make a very good suicide drop unit. If you really think about it, they do that job somewhat better than sternguard. They don't have special ammo, so they lose SOME versatility, but they are cheaper as a tradeoff. So if they get wiped out, it's not as big of a hit to your points. Throw them in a drop pod, and You're almost guarenteed to get good shots with no cover saves. Set the pod 1" away from the target. Unless you scatter the full 12" or past impassable terrain, you're in melta range (because of 6" disembark). They can also work as a fairly solid assault unit, if you kit them out. They're no death company, but with 2 attacks base (or 3 if you exchange their bolter), they will wreck most things they get in CC with.

Posted · Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, January 19, 2015 - Big quote for nothing
Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, January 19, 2015 - Big quote for nothing

give them storm shields and they will last about as long as terminators, and they will do it for cheaper than a dwt squad tongue.png you can even still buy a drop pod haha. im going to be doing this soon with axe's and mauls to make a melee hit team for multi-charging with actually deathwing or for tieing up other secondary units that might be issues after cc has resolved itself (such as broadsides ready to squish my terminators after a cc with their crisis suits or w/e) i can also use them to squash light vehicles under sheer strength of s6 ap4 and s5 ap2 weapons

I'd look at meltabombs instead of the combi-weapons. If you take combi-meltas, you need to be pretty close to be able to get the extra D6 and you can only fire them once. The 5pts per model you save could go towards something else to fill your anti-tank needs.

Command squads really do fit this bill better. 5 meltas are better than 2 meltas and 3 combi meltas. However, if you don't have room for another command squad (say you already have a techmarine and a command squad with a banner), they do make a very good suicide drop unit. If you really think about it, they do that job somewhat better than sternguard. They don't have special ammo, so they lose SOME versatility, but they are cheaper as a tradeoff. So if they get wiped out, it's not as big of a hit to your points. Throw them in a drop pod, and You're almost guarenteed to get good shots with no cover saves. Set the pod 1" away from the target. Unless you scatter the full 12" or past impassable terrain, you're in melta range (because of 6" disembark). They can also work as a fairly solid assault unit, if you kit them out. They're no death company, but with 2 attacks base (or 3 if you exchange their bolter), they will wreck most things they get in CC with.

precisely

Bikes normally fill this role in my lists but I want to try out three squads of black knights, so no fast attack. Command squad does work better and that may be what's in the pod but I still need a bit more melta on the table so possibly a vet squad in a rhino.

I know the list is a bit wacky but I'm looking at running; Belial, two deathwing squads, three black knight squads, a melta squad in a pod (cmd or vet). Leaves me with a around 350 points that I really need to make the most of.

First of all I will say that  melta bombs are no substitute for combi-meltas. They simply don't have the range. They should be a complement not a replacement.

About Command squad vs Vet. Squad. Both are valid choices and both have pro's and con's. The vet squad is cheaper and can have more numbers, but they are limited to mostly combi meltas while the command squad can go with all meltas.

Still you can put 10 vets in a drop pod: 2 meltas, 2 multi meltas, 6 combi-meltas. Drop them and combat squad them. You can hit 2 targets at once and once on the ground with combi weapons spent they still have a a melta and a multi melta per squad to keep doing damage. You can of course vary the setup and half could take meltas and teh other half plasmas and so on.

Overall the vets provide a bit more flexibility if you consider squad size.

Why not two melta guns?  I run a squad of eight with two melta, two combi melta and 4 storm bolters in a pod.  It does okay even if its a bit expensive

First of all I will say that  melta bombs are no substitute for combi-meltas. They simply don't have the range. They should be a complement not a replacement.

About Command squad vs Vet. Squad. Both are valid choices and both have pro's and con's. The vet squad is cheaper and can have more numbers, but they are limited to mostly combi meltas while the command squad can go with all meltas.

Still you can put 10 vets in a drop pod: 2 meltas, 2 multi meltas, 6 combi-meltas. Drop them and combat squad them. You can hit 2 targets at once and once on the ground with combi weapons spent they still have a a melta and a multi melta per squad to keep doing damage. You can of course vary the setup and half could take meltas and teh other half plasmas and so on.

Overall the vets provide a bit more flexibility if you consider squad size.

Well my squad isnt legal.  I need two more members.  I need that sternguard squad...

But Luci's squad isnt either.  Only one heavy my brother.

Archived