M1A2 pattern tanks?

Nova_chron

Like the title says... I've gotten a little bored looking at a gazzillion rhino chassi tanks ( I know exaggerated) but with 2rhinos, 2 Razorbacks, 3 vindicators and soon 2 Baal predators, I've been playing with getting some to scale M1 models and converting them to be predators looking for my fellow blood Angels players thoughts.

Any advice on how to convert them up for sponson weapons and such would be much appreciated. This project is probably a month out before I start buying anything but I will post WiP photos as I get going.

Edit:title spelling on my phone

The largest issue will be that the tank isn't really tall enough for weapons on the sides.  You might end up having to mount them hanging over the side, but the issue there is that the turret is very wide and won't leave room to do that.  Depending on how toolbaggish your local scene is you could put the sponsons on the side of the turret and call that that, but that could be considered modeling for an advantage.

You could also consider an older tank kit like a matilda mk II, or a russian one.  Those have smaller turrets, and the matilda would have plenty more room on the sides.

Edit: addition

Odds are I will be doing something along the lines of side hull gun mounts for sponsons and use the turret for my storm bolter my biggest concern is size as I think the M1 kits I'll have access to will be taller than the rhinos but I've usually been very gung-ho about not hiding my tanks. Marines are a shock and awe force so no hiding for me.

I have an M1A1 model and it's the same size as my Baneblade. Even at that scale, shandwen isn't entirely wrong about the height of the side skirts. Only real way I could see it working is if you built something on the rear deck that hung off the sides and the sponson was built into the underside of it.

Odds are I will be doing something along the lines of side hull gun mounts for sponsons and use the turret for my storm bolter my biggest concern is size as I think the M1 kits I'll have access to will be taller than the rhinos but I've usually been very gung-ho about not hiding my tanks. Marines are a shock and awe force so no hiding for me.

I'd worry about the tank's footprint more than the height. Imperial tanks are proportionately much taller. My M1 I mentioned in the other post has the footprint of a Baneblade but the top of the turret is barely taller than the storm bolter on top of the Rhino I just compared it to.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I picked it up over a decade ago when I enlisted. It shouldn't be more than one size off that though. I'm pressed for time or I'd do it myself but the model is roughly 9"x4"x3" if you wanna look up the actual tank's dimensions and work out the math.

Archived