Blades of the Traitor

SteelPaladin

Just got my signed copy, so far Daemonology is pretty great story finally adding some depth to Mortarion aside from "grim reaper hur hur", honestly a lot shorter book then I expected but lovely cover and so far great stories. Really growing fonder and fonder of Chris Wraight in general as well.

Very nice! Daemonology is one of the stories I've been massively looking forward to - so I'm quite excited to say the least, but am still holding out for the physical copy.

Wraight is a superb author - I cannot get enough of his writing!

I don't object to having shorter stories coming out - sometimes the tale needing to be told suits a shorter format better than a full length novel. But can someone help me out here? Am I wrong in saying the only two novels that came out last year were Vengeful Spirit and Damnation of Pythos? VS was excellent throughout and pulled together a lot of threads that were covered in audio/novella/eshort formats whilst DoP I haven't touched or have any intention of touching because it doesn't seem to be adding anything beyond more Shattered Legion struggles. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the various remnants of the three Legions doing what they can to contribute but there's a big difference between those seen in Kryptos/Seventh Serpent and Vulkan Lives/DoP where all that seems to happen is a lot of angst and dithering before dying. That and the constant zipping back to Istvaan V have grated on me to the point where I'm with Hyaenidae - I'm now buying material I'm genuinely interested in rather than a blanket approach

I don't object to having shorter stories coming out - sometimes the tale needing to be told suits a shorter format better than a full length novel. But can someone help me out here? Am I wrong in saying the only two novels that came out last year were Vengeful Spirit and Damnation of Pythos?

Don't forget Scars in hardback.

And we had Sedition's Gate, Legacies of Betrayal and Death and Defiance, as well as Ravenlord, The Purge and Seventh Serpent, although obviously not full length novels in their own right.

Again, it seems to be based around authors' availability - Pythos was purportedly pushed forward to fill this gap, but it's all good - we've had excellent shorts. I can understand your desire for concrete novels rather than more filling in the gaps, and equally that perhaps unstated desire to continue the story arc moving forward, but we're still getting a lot of great content. 

That's sort of the point I was trying to convey. Full length novels are currently, and have been for the past couple of years in short supply. I think it's just more noticeable since for the first few years of the heresy we were spoilt beyond belief with the release schedule banging out so many books in a short space of time.

As for those you've mentioned:

Scars - I read it in serialisation but whilst it was OK, a work of this quality deserved the limited edition treatment

Sedition's Gate - no complaints here

Legacies of Betrayal - nothing new, previously released in other formats pulled together - good if you prefer to stick to printed material instead of ebooks or audio dramas, plus brotherhood of the storm already had the limited edition treatment, seems like it was included just to bulk out the book

Death and Defiance - new stories, good bit of work.

I've not included the others since they are/were limited editions (not sure on Seventh Serpent, is it still limited?) and to my mind since Promethean Sun first came out, the limited editions are a matter of each reader's preferences. I don't think D&D can be included either given that everything in it was published beforehand.

I think it'll vary between people as well depending on what they enjoy about the heresy. Those who enjoy the epic scope of a galactic war will love all the bits and pieces that are around whilst those who want to focus on the narrative of a few central players will be disappointed.

For me, I like the epic scope but I'm getting jaded with a really big event pushing things forwards but then everything following just tucks in little bits and pieces before said event. I dunno, maybe I'm reaching the saturation point with it

That's sort of the point I was trying to convey. Full length novels are currently, and have been for the past couple of years in short supply. I think it's just more noticeable since for the first few years of the heresy we were spoilt beyond belief with the release schedule banging out so many books in a short space of time.

Totally agree - hard to keep up that output though, and again, the authors are incredibly busy. Must be incredibly challenging getting that organised and continuing to plot in advance, with so many other things going on!

Legacies of Betrayal was brilliant for me, as it allowed me to catch-up on a lot of shorts I otherwise wouldn't have got. As much as I love Brotherhood of the Storm, I would've preferred 115 pages of new content personally. Overall, it was a really good read though. 

I'm definitely the galactic war camp: it's like the most defining moment of the whole setting, so I'm happy for the depth and breadth to continue.

Totally agree - hard to keep up that output though, and again, the authors are incredibly busy. Must be incredibly challenging getting that organised and continuing to plot in advance, with so many other things going on!

Legacies of Betrayal was brilliant for me, as it allowed me to catch-up on a lot of shorts I otherwise wouldn't have got. As much as I love Brotherhood of the Storm, I would've preferred 115 pages of new content personally. Overall, it was a really good read though. 

I'm definitely the galactic war camp: it's like the most defining moment of the whole setting, so I'm happy for the depth and breadth to continue.

Yeah between authors really taking off and burnout starting to rear it's ugly head in the case of some, I'm still surprised we get the amount of material that we do. I've read other multi-novelist series and also long term single author series and I have to say if I'd gotten this kind of schedule for those series I'd have been in paradise. 

But anyway back on topic, I've yet to grab this because my hobby budget (yes I have one of those now) went on Sevatar for this month. Payday is Friday so that's when I'll have a look at it. Already read Daemonology which was badly needed for a certain character and some of the others look very interesting.

Just got my signed copy, so far Daemonology is pretty great story finally adding some depth to Mortarion aside from "grim reaper hur hur", honestly a lot shorter book then I expected but lovely cover and so far great stories. Really growing fonder and fonder of Chris Wraight in general as well.

Very nice! Daemonology is one of the stories I've been massively looking forward to - so I'm quite excited to say the least, but am still holding out for the physical copy.

Hopefully wraight will do a full fledged DG novel.. No matter how much he flirts with wolves and scars we know at heart he's a a disease ridden plague marine fan.

I don't object to having shorter stories coming out - sometimes the tale needing to be told suits a shorter format better than a full length novel. But can someone help me out here? Am I wrong in saying the only two novels that came out last year were Vengeful Spirit and Damnation of Pythos?

It was indeed two novels. As mentioned, there were various new formats, anthologies, etc, but only two actual full novels, which is among the lowest count since the series began (2009 had 1, 2011 had 2, every other year has had at least 3). Making it worse is the fact that unless you count Tallarn: Ironclad as a novel (which I don't, and even if you do it's still limited edition), judging by Deathfire's estimation of mid-2015, we'll be going pretty much an entire year without a new novel in the series.

Hopefully wraight will do a full fledged DG novel.. No matter how much he flirts with wolves and scars we know at heart he's a a disease ridden plague marine fan.

God-Emperor, yes. I want that so badly. Not only do the DG need it, but Wraight's work has been outstanding, and Daemonology was the best take on Mortarion I've seen so far.

It was indeed two novels. As mentioned, there were various new formats, anthologies, etc, but only two actual full novels, which is among the lowest count since the series began (2009 had 1, 2011 had 2, every other year has had at least 3). Making it worse is the fact that unless you count Tallarn: Ironclad as a novel (which I don't, and even if you do it's still limited edition), judging by Deathfire's estimation of mid-2015, we'll be going pretty much an entire year without a new novel in the series.

Well, and technically Scars too as we've noted... as a physical release anyway. 

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect peaks and troughs, especially since that production around the Heresy generally has ramped up exponentially in the various formats - like them or not! If it's a year, so be it - we technically all know the ending, so I'm happy to explore those years at this pace :lol:

That said, I can't help but be excited by this release, for Daemonology alone. Waiting until May will be hard.

As BL themselves say, we should be grateful for all this bonus content, filler, etc etc

Otherwise it'd be a few HH novels a year, and that's our lot

Thats a great attitude for a business to have.

As much love and time I have dedicated to this hobby over the last 15 years, I sometimes wish GW and its offshots would go through some crushing economic period just to teach it to be more appreciative of its fanbase.

WLK

Does anyone have any spoilers for the stories in this?

Black Oculus

One of the Iron Warriors' navigators (and some others as well, but it's told from his point of view) saw into the warp during their time after Angel Exterminatus, which seems to have either driven him insane or enlightened him. Or both.

Daemonology

Following Mortarion's defeat among the ruins of Prospero by the Khan, the Death Guard raze a world among the Thousand Sons' old territory, partly so that Mortarion can capture a daemon there. He's still adamant that he despises 'witchcraft' and the warp above all else, and wants to learn more about how to fight it. But after the daemon escapes he's provoked into using what he has learnt to destroy it, taking a further step on the path to damnation and becoming what he hates. There are also flashbacks to when he was on Terra after being found by the Emperor. Malcador is trying to help him learn and repair some of the psychological damage done on Barbarus, which includes his irrational and vitriolic hatred towards anything he deems witchcraft. In the end Malcador reveals plans for what will one day become the Council of Nikaea in order to try to placate Mortarion.

Chirurgeon

Fabius, while operating on someone, flashes back to an early time in the Emperor's Children's history, before Fulgrim was found. It wasn't just the loss of geneseed that nearly destroyed the legion, but genetic flaws within them, and we see some of Fabius' descent as he obsesses over it. We learn at the end that he himself suffers from it and has been keeping it hidden ever since then, even as it gradually worsens. We also see that the one he's been operating on has been himself, through the use of his chirurgeon, and that with his science failing him he's being left with no option but to turn to Fulgrim's daemonic powers to save himself.

Twisted

Set after Molech, the Sons of Horus pressing on towards Terra. Maloghurst can feel a daemon's presence stalking him and wanting to claim him, but he doesn't want to give in to it. He seeks the aid of the remaining Davinites on board the ship to try to be rid of the daemon, but they betray him and try to sacrifice him for favour with the dark gods. Turns out Mal knew it was them who had summoned the daemon in the first place, and he was using the whole thing as a way to draw them, and the daemon, out. He has a squad concealed via warp sorcery and obliterates the Davinites and the daemon, which was trying to get close to Horus. There's also a distinct note of sadness in Maloghurst that, while he and Horus once shared a close friendship, ever since Molech there's been a gulf between them. Horus still respects and values Mal, but there's too big a gap between them for them to be considered friends now, though Maloghurst continues to do his duty, as he always has.

Wolf Mother

A splinter of the serpent cult from Molech has survived among the refugees fleeing the planet, and the group has been abducting children for use in their rituals. One such child is Vivyen, one of the adopted daughters of Alivia Sureka, the perpetual from Vengeful Spirit. While trying to track them down, she encounters Severian, the Luna Wolf from Outcast Dead who later joined the Knight-Errant A-Team in Vengeful Spirit. The two of them annihilate the cult after it (or more specifically the daemon it brings about) has killed all the other children but before Vivyen is.

All in all I think this is a pretty good anthology, even if I am annoyed at BL releasing two of the stories online shortly before this was out, with no warning. Daemonology and Twisted are both great, Chirurgeon was good too, Black Oculus was decent even if too short to do much, and while Wolf Mother was the weakest IMO it still wasn't bad, it just became too predictable towards the end. Certainly if you're a fan of/interested in the traitor legions, and especially Fabius, Mortarion and Maloghurst, I'd recommend it.

• 2 months later...

Up to order! Have ordered this and the art print smile.png Excited!

Art print arrived today; it's absolutely beautiful. I wanted this as soon as I saw the cover art, and am definitely not disappointed. Can't wait to get this on my wall!

Will pick the book up early next week too, and again, looking forward to devouring.

Archived