Are good all Death Company lists possible?

steve!

Hey folks,

Really tempted by an all DC list at the moment but I'm not sure if it would work as an army.

Thinking the two Deathstorm troop choices along with DC, DC dreads, Stormravens all lead by a Chaplain or two.

Is anyone running a list like this?

It could well work, but you would need to be very careful about your targets, in particular I think that it would have trouble with enemy armour as the only anti armour stuff your foot guys can have is inferno pistols and their range leaves a lot to be desired

You would also need to be careful to protect the lives of your DC. They're a bit expensive and really need the charge in order to make their points back.

Definitely take astorath, he buffs DC considerably in combat

The DC squad from Deathstorm are rather over-equipped and possibly not the best use of points. If you want to go DC-heavy, the easiest option is to use the Mortalis Formation from the Exterminatus expansion. IIRC it consists of

1 Chaplain

3 squads of DC

2 DC Dreads

1 Stormraven

I cannot remember if they get Red Thirst though (which is a big deal for these units).

Hey folks,

Really tempted by an all DC list at the moment but I'm not sure if it would work as an army.

Thinking the two Deathstorm troop choices along with DC, DC dreads, Stormravens all lead by a Chaplain or two.

Is anyone running a list like this?

I have two standing DC lists. My first, the 1250 list, I have revamped to a jump DC list for the latest Codex. My second list, the 1850 list, will eventually (when I get around to it) become my mounted DC list.

I find that, as with any themed list, they need a strong support cast in order to work and simply throwing DC at things isn't the way to do it (sadly). Also, I have found that DC lists are not only very different to play from other lists but the hardest thing to overcome is the temptation to be overly aggressive. You need to be somewhat cautious in your approach and plan where you strike.

Can they work better than a regular list with DC? Sure. Will they be one of the best builds? Well, it depends what else you add...

The DC squad from Deathstorm are rather over-equipped and possibly not the best use of points. If you want to go DC-heavy, the easiest option is to use the Mortalis Formation from the Exterminatus expansion. IIRC it consists of

1 Chaplain
3 squads of DC
2 DC Dreads
1 Stormraven

I cannot remember if they get Red Thirst though (which is a big deal for these units).

No they don't. They get Crusader and Fury of the Forelorn (+1A in any fight sub phase if outnumbered and if they don't have the Rampage rule).

Hey folks,Really tempted by an all DC list at the moment but I'm not sure if it would work as an army.Thinking the two Deathstorm troop choices along with DC, DC dreads, Stormravens all lead by a Chaplain or two.Is anyone running a list like this?

I have two standing DC lists. My first, the 1250 list, I have revamped to a jump DC list for the latest Codex. My second list, the 1850 list, will eventually (when I get around to it) become my mounted DC list. I find that, as with any themed list, they need a strong support cast in order to work and simply throwing DC at things isn't the way to do it (sadly). Also, I have found that DC lists are not only very different to play from other lists but the hardest thing to overcome is the temptation to be overly aggressive. You need to be somewhat cautious in your approach and plan where you strike. Can they work better than a regular list with DC? Sure. Will they be one of the best builds? Well, it depends what else you add... 

The DC squad from Deathstorm are rather over-equipped and possibly not the best use of points. If you want to go DC-heavy, the easiest option is to use the Mortalis Formation from the Exterminatus expansion. IIRC it consists of 1 Chaplain3 squads of DC2 DC Dreads1 Stormraven I cannot remember if they get Red Thirst though (which is a big deal for these units).

No they don't. They get Crusader and Fury of the Forelorn (+1A in any fight sub phase if outnumbered and if they don't have the Rampage rule).

I looked at the formation but I would really like the +1 initiative. My other thought was to take Cassor and then just paint up a tactical sqauad in death company colours as I do agree Rafens squad isn't great.

I'd go for Baal strike force using the deathstorm troop choices just to get the tax out of the way. Then you could take up to four squads of DC for elites. Then take Astorath and a chappy (or maybe even a failed librarian or Tycho :O) as your HQ! heavy support could be anything vehicle related I suppose. Your dudes mash thier dudes with weight of attacks, MC with Thunder Hammers and let your tanks sort our thiers. For extra fun add some bolter DC to disrupt the backfield and some pods for them and Cassor.

5 death co. 5 infernus pistols, drop pod. 210pts?

I would pay more for a squad of firedragons and transport, and they aren't nearly as survivable.

5 Fire Dragons and an allied venom = 170 points IIRC. The Dragons have twice the range and do not need to disembark to shoot.

But Dragons are pretty much dead if assaulted whereas those DC should be able to look after themselves. ;)

With a 3" melta range.....

Minimal bubbel wrap or a slightly bad scatter or difficult terrain roll means no melta range. 

The centre of the pod can be up to 10.5" away and you can still move into 3" melta range. Youll generally be able to get it.

My meta also doesnt really use bubble wrap. I guess that's what the deathwind launcher is for?

The centre of the pod can be up to 10.5" away and you can still move into 3" melta range. Youll generally be able to get it.

My meta also doesnt really use bubble wrap. I guess that's what the deathwind launcher is for?

The primary purpose of the bubble wrap is usually movement blocking, so deathwind won't help you with getting in range. I've also found that it's often not possible to legally place the blast if you play the pods aggressively. Never mind the friendly fire risk. 

Do your opponents let you get away with good alpha strikes? For some reason everyone I play regularly has become very good at spreading out, using reserves and never ever leave any large blast sized holes (foot print of a pod) inside their formations when deploying. :P 

Archived