Fire Raptors in a BA army

Fahlnor

I've been considering a Stormraven but was put off by the fact that using its transport capacity puts potentially over 500 points off the table for a minimum of the first turn (Stormraven) or two (transported units); and not using its transport capacity means wasting the points invested in said capacity.

The Fire Raptor seems to deal with the problem *really* nicely in my eyes. The fire power it puts out is awesome, the lack of transport capacity suits how I want to play and the model is lovely.

I'm uncertain on what rules it uses, though. I read varyingly that it has either Stormstrike Missiles (IA2:2nd Ed.) or Hellstrike Missiles (FW pdf rules). Can anyone tell me which is correct and why?

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on the Fire Raptor generally. Thanks for your time, brothers!

Stormstrikes... the pdf rules were experimental and superceded by IA2:2nd ed.

Ps: For Emperors sake use the bolter ball turrets or magnetise them! Puts an unholy amount of shots out and scares the hebiejebies out of your opponent the turn after you fire!

Thanks for the replies.

Am I right in thinking that the Fire Raptor could happily come on turn two and launch all four missiles at the same target, use PotMS to fire the Avenger bolt cannon at a second target and still fire both its turret-mounted weapons at a further two targets?

I think that zooming flyers can fire four weapons at full BS: so, the Fire Raptor can fire all four missiles, each one counting as one weapon.  You can then use Power Of The Machine Spirit to fire the Avenger bolt cannon at full BS (and could choose to fire that at a second target, if you so chose).  Then you have two side-turrets, neither of which count towards your total weapons fired as per their own rules (and as both of them can fire independently at their own targets, you can hit a third and fourth target with these weapons).

Of course, you can only do this once per game and then you run out of missiles!

Archived