Question about Drop Pods and Mishaps

ValourousHeart

Deep Strike rules state that you place the first model of the unit and scatter it.

Then once you have determined the final resting place for the model you place the other models around it in base to base till you have completed the circle.

Additional models start a second circle and so on.

You have to fit as many models in the circle as possible.

So for example the TDA models you would place them like so where "O" is the first model, "X" are the rest of the unit.

XXXX

XOX

XXX

And not like this. E is an enemey unit/model.

XXXX

XXO

XX E

So why do I always see Drop Pod players doing this: DP is the pod.

DPXXX

XXXX

XXX E

Shouldn't they have to place the models like this

XXXX

XDPX

XXXX E

And I know that the drop pod has a special rule that moves it off of other models the minimum safe distance, but that should be at most 1" away. Now doesn't that meant that the unit would still mishap since they can't make the circle without getting into either a friendly unit, impassable terrain or an enemey unit?

The squad is not the thing that is DeepStriking- the Drop Pod is.  Once the Drop Pod lands, the unit it carries must Disembark from the Drop Pod, as per the rules for Drop Pods.  As the transported unit is Disembarking and not Deepstriking (that's what the Drop Pod just finished doing), it can Disembark however it wants to so long as it maintains unit coherency (if applicable).

So can a drop pod mishap?

Isn't the board edge counted as impassable, so you would just correct right back on the table.

I see people place drop pods in such a way that the scatter is irrelevant, and they just deviate back to where ever they wanted it in the first place.

Is that right way to do it?

When I am deploying my troops around their Rhino, I can't place models standing on top of the tank.

But I see people when they deploy troops out of a Drop Pod they place them standing on the doors.

Isn't that the same thing?

If I drive a tank past that drop pod can I drive over the doors, or does that count as ramming?

Do enemey troops that reach the tip of the doors, count as being in base to base?

The part I am sure of:  Doors do not provide cover nor do they block line of sight.  If a pod scatters off the edge of the table then that is a roll on the mishap table.  

The parts I am less sure of.  Since doors do not have any other effect I would say that they would not have effect on terrain either...  somebody prove me wrong.  Also someone supply a page number for the off the table comment.

Off the table rule is in the DA dex DP description page.

Apart from on Lucius Pods the doors of pods play no part in the game, only the hull counts.

Shabz is mostly right above, but a unit without the DS rule still arrives from DS (this is important for interceptor) but via a transport. The important bit is that their move is determined by the disembarkation rules and not the DS setup rules.

BS

Almost right. Let me fix it:

Shabz is mostly right above, but a unit without the DS rule still arrives from Reserves (this is important for Interceptor), but via a Deepstriking transport. The important bit is that their move is determined by the Disembarkation rules and not the Deepstrike setup rules.

There. Now it is all right. msn-wink.gif

And, yes, a Drop Pod can Mishap, but it is extremely diffcult to get it to do that. Basically, you are paying to arrive via Deepstrike about as safely and accurately as you posssibly can. Drop Pods are very, very useful (not like I'm sayinganything new here). In a recent game, I sent down a Drop Pod with a Venerable Dreadnought on Turn 1, and followed it up with a non-scattering (due to a Locator Beacon on the Drop Pod), Deepstriking Deathwing Terminator Squad on Turn 2. Sooo, much better than Ravenwing Bikes with Teleport Homers, which to get them into postion to do the above by Turn 2 would require turbo boosting them (and so not be able to shoot anything) into a very vulnerable position where they could get annihilated by the enemy before it is even Turn 2. At least the Drop Pod has already done its job, has landed pretty much where you wanted it to, and it is also not so easy to destroy. The Drop Pod is arguably the most useful Dedicated Transport for its points in the game.

Apart from on Lucius Pods the doors of pods play no part in the game, only the hull counts.

BS

What the...?!?!

I am not sure I buy that.

On a drop pod the doors easily account for 50% of the model and 75% of the foot print that you wholesale discounting as not relevent to the model because open topped vehichles don't need access hatches.

It is worth mentioning that many people glue the doors shut just for that reason - the 'open' doors really get in the way sometimes. It is also the simplest mechanic for dealing with game wise: you can gain cover by keeping the drop-pod between you and the enemy, but you cannot block LOS as all the doors blow off on landing, leaving gaps to see through. The doors do not hinder movement for any units, nor can you claim to be in range of the pod when you can just touch the edge of the door.

Simply put the doors are decoration. Where you measure from is always the hull which is where the door hinge/engine is. Could you imagine measuring 6" for disembarkation from the end of one of the doors rather than the hull? It's the same if you have opening doors on a Rhino. You would still measure from the hull not the end of the door.

Yes this is a golden oldie that used to come a lot in the official rules forum :rolleyes:

Best to totally ignore the doors at all times. But then that means you can fire through the pod when they're modelled closed with no true LoS when fluffwise we know they're blown off (?) Yes, it all gets rather fun :)

I guess the issue still hasn't been fixed then!

Best clear up with opponent before game starts I think.

Cheers

I

^That. Just use your best judgement as to where the center console and vanes between the doors are with regard to the Drop Pod giving models cover (which they usually will, except for the largest of models) or blocking LOS (which may happen with man-sized or smaller models, but not always). A Drop Pod can still scatter off the table edge, suffering a Deepstrike Mishap, so it is not like every location is perfectly safe. Note the rules for Emergency Disembarkation as well, such as that is is possible to be unable to Disembark at all, or that even if able to make an Emergency Disembarkation, models doign so can do NOTHING further during the turn other than the initial Disembarking move. Drop Pods are still very, very good, but they are not perfectly safe. Don't push your luck too much and they ought to work well. Set yourself up for bad things to happen, and they likely will.

One last bit definitely needing an FAQ: the Drop Pod counts as suffering a Immoblized result upon lanidng, except that it doesn't lose a Hull Point. Well, guess what it doesn't say? That the passengers aren't also immune ot the effects of that Immobilized result, meaning that after Disembarking the unit can only fire snap shots if they fail a Leadership test. Must be that spine jarring landing that does it (that's actually very sensible really). Now, I don't think the intenstion is for it to be that way, but boy do the GW folks very much not like to think of everything when they write their rules. Pot stirred? tongue.png

Is that what it says now? Don't have rulebook/codex to hand to check.

From memory, (and possibly erroneously from an older edition rulebook rolleyes.gif ), I just thought pods were classified as immobilised once on the table, rather than suffering an immobilisation damage result per se - the latter which yes should effect passengers I guess.

Edit: just DA Codex p42.

"[...] and counts in all respects as a vehicle that has suffered an Immobilised damage result [...]"

So there we have it. And quite clear. Unless it's been faq'd somewhere there is nothing to say a pods' passengers are exempt from this rule.

Cheers

I

Archived