Basic Strats with this army

Helias_Tancred

Subject line says it all. What are some basic strats you see with my army? I haven't really been a min/maxer on my builds, and I've floated a bit with what I've managed to pick up and build over the last few months.

1 10 man tactical squad-  flamer, missile, sergeant with chainsword and plasma pistol.

1 10 man assault squad w/ jp- melta, infernus pistol, gunslinger sergeant with 2 infernus pistols.

1 10 man assault squad w/jp- 2 meltas, veteran sergeant with combi melta and powerfist.

1 10 man death company-  2 powerfists, infernus pistol, bolt pistol, 8 bolters.

[counts as a troop] Cassor the Damned, DC Dreadnought- 2 blood talons, stomrbolter, melta.

1 5 man devastator squad- no transport, 2 lascannons, 2 plasmacannons, sergeant with combi plasma and powerfist.

1 5 man terminator squad- 4 stormbolters, powersword, heavy flamer, 2 powerfists, 2 chainfists.

Furioso dreadnought- frag cannon, powerfist, heavy flamer.

Dreadnought- TL lascannon, powerfist, heavy flamer

1 5 man sanguinary guard squad- 2 encarmine axes, powerfist, chapter banner, 2 encarmine glaives, infernus pistol, 4 angelus bolters

1 5 man scout sniper squad- 5 sniper rifles, 1 missile launcher

Sanguinary priest w/ jp chainsword and bolt pistol

Chaplain w/ jp bolt pistol and crozium

Captain Tycho (normal)

Generic Captain- powersword, plasma pistol, halo

First Captain Karlaen- terminator armor, stormbolter, hammer of baal

Dante

Drop Pod

Rhino

Land Raider Crusader (w/multi melta)

Stormraven (missiles, assault cannon, bolter sponsons, and TL multi melta in the nose)

I've collected and built more than I've fought with only 2 games under my belt. First game was my learning game against Eldar, and while he won on points we were both left with 1 unit. My chaplain survived. Second game was against Tau and it was a draw because we ended early.

My original plan was a "hammer and anvil" approach. Drop something down the pod and rush my force to it. That something in the pod was my Fragioso, who did great but didn't last beyond turn 1. So my hammer and anvil strat needs to more pods or polish or both?

So anyways you veterans after looking at my list what sort of strategies come to mind? I will probably play Tau a lot, and after that Eldar and other space marine chapters. My tau buddy has a lot of cheese- suits and riptides.

Thanks brothers. This son of Sanguinius is thankful for your insight and thoughts.

A single Pod is a distraction and/or alpha strike unit. There are three things you could put in it: your Fragioso, your Death Company or your Terminators (provided you purchase a fast attack Pod). Each will take heavy fire so if you're unsure of getting First Blood from it, get the unit into cover and launch your counter next turn. Alternatively, it could be used for your Tactical Squad if the Rhino is to be used elsewhere.

Cassor should go in the Stormraven (podding a Death Company Dreadnought isn't the best choice usually and Cassor will need to purchase a FA slot Pod anyway).

One Land Raider will take a lot of fire, especially with a lack of AV13/high priority targets to saturate it. You've only really got the DC who fit in it but arguably, bolter DC are better suited to Pods.

One Rhino will usually not last long due to a lack of armour saturation. Use it to get either the DC or Tactical Squad into position but don't expect it to survive. If it does, use it to block line of sight and to Tank Shock things.

Five man Terminators with a heavy flamer are a typical choice for Deep Strike as you need to get that heavy flamer into range. If you choose this approach rather than the Pod, take teleport homers and locator beacons to assist you. Generally speaking, they shouldn't go in the Land Raider as each turn they are in there, they aren't doing anything.

The Devastators, Dreadnought and Scouts are back-field objective campers. Just remember to use the Signum (Devastators) and Scout move (Scouts) to reposition!

If you gave your Priest a jump pack, then he could run with Dante and the Sanguinary Guard, while being screened with the assault squads (you may see that written as RAS - Regular Assault Squads - from time to time). They will need cover to approach and back them up with the Stormraven's cargo. As it stands, I'm not sure where he would go other than in the Land Raider with the Death company and the Captain/Chaplain.

After all that, you have a build of perhaps two waves. The first is the jump contingent which is backed up by the second, which arrives via Land Raider and/or Stormraven. This advancing first wave is "concealed" by whatever podded in to distract and given covering fire by whatever firebase you have (should points allow).

I'd add that the power fist on the Devastator sergeant is a chunk of points best spent elsewhere. If he ever gets to use it, your squad is already dead. Heavy weapons need to be kept away from combat, and with the fist striking last and his companions not being suited for melee, he's going to be dead before he gets to fight.

I think you'd be better dropping the fist and spending the points on meltanombs for four other squad sergeants. Much more useful.

Opinions:

I would consider trading out some wargear options. On the Dev. Team you may not need that combi plas or fist. I get that it's your backfield unit and your trying to protect them but your Dread can play that role having a heavy flamer and fist if something Drop pods in your deployment zone. They can support eachother.

Inferno Pistols I find are really tough to use. They are only 6inches and if going tank hunting they need to be 3inches away to get the roll for double pen. I would at least replace the Ass marine IP with another melta (like your other squad). Also, Ass marine melta are a good drop pod suicide unit. Maybe consider throwing a 5man 2xmelta combi-melta (or gunslinger) in a pod and running the other 5man as a jump pack tank hunter.

I've always found scout snipers to be depressing especially only 5man. I'd drop them.

Fragioso is awesome. Infantry unit delete key... I don't really support mine. It takes the focus off of what I'm pushing up the board. Usually a tank takes it out after Turn 1, than on Turn 2 I drop in my suicide melta and take the tank out for killing my template buddy.

Cheers, and good luck!

Word up on all the above.

Just to add - if you're playing Tau, know that they are feeble in assault. And that they more than make up for it with shooting. Depending on your opponents's builds (meta) they can also have strong interceptor ability. I suggest putting the fragioso, one or both tactical squads - geared with flamers and heavy flamers - in pods, at least. The bolter DC would be good in pods also but if you stick with three pods they may be better in the raider or rhino. If he has an emphasis on armour, put at least one of the melta RAS in a pod.

Use your devs to take out his pathfinders early as possible, then focus on his suits.

Believe me, Tau don't like it up em.

It depends what you want to buff. Generally a captain is just a beatstick and isn't as good as a regular marines biker lord. A sang priest is good with sanguard to buff WS and give FNP, a chaplain or Libby go well with death Company. All of the latter are a bit squishy so need to be surrounded by warm bodies to soak up damage. Dante makes an epic warlord but is cost prohibitive and needs support preferably from a hard hitting CC unit.

So anyways you veterans after looking at my list what sort of strategies come to mind? I will probably play Tau a lot, and after that Eldar and other space marine chapters. My tau buddy has a lot of cheese- suits and riptides.

Some specific advice on these 2 opponents. Sternguard are a good choice as both Eldar and Tau feature units with greater variety of stats than many other armies which emphasizes the value of their special ammo.

Facing Wraithknights or Riptides? Break out the hellfire ammo and wound on a 2+. Facing regular infantry? Kraken rounds have extra range and AP4. Need to winkl Pathfinders out of cover? No problem etc.

Sternguard do well in either a Pod or Rhino to help get them in position. Think of them as a super-tactical squad and you will be on the right lines. If you want to fit them into you hammer and anvil strategy, a drop pod might be the answer. A squad of 9 will put out plenty of firepower and you can add in a cheap Sanguinary Priest (possibly with an Auspex) for keep them alive a bit longer with FNP.

Archived