Army/Campaign Badges, does anyone still paint them?

I am part way through painting my first marine, the first in quite a while. I am painting up some Deathwing, initially for Space Hulk. I am at that point where you ponder how you are going to paint various details.

I am wondering does anyone still paint army/campaign badges on their models (or use decals etc)?

A brief wiz through some galleries says no, but the models these days have some nicely moulded details on them so there is less real estate on the model to place such iconography so I guess folks may not bother. Also I have been out of 40k for some time now, so I am not sure if current fluff still supports their use.

If you are not sure what I am talking about with respect to Army Badges hit the button:-

I did actually paint up a Deathwing force some years ago now, in fact I am going to show my age a bit, as the earliest models were painted after the release of Codex: Angels of Death.

Sorry about the blurred pic, buts it is the only one of have of those models. The army badge is painted on the right grieve, except the squad sergeant where it is on the left. Those models are a direct copy of those in that codex.

Rick Priestly, Jervis Johnson, John Blanche, Wayne England, Mark Gibbons, Des Hanley; Codex Angels of Death; Games Workshop; 1996; page 40; ISBN: 1872372969

There are other examples of army badges the earlier Codex Ultramarines.

Rick Priestly, Jervis Johnson, Alan Merret, John Blanche, Wayne England, Mark Gibbons, Des Hanley; Codex Ultramarines; Games Workshop; 1995; page 23; ISBN: 1872372877

Do they still exist in any way these days, or are they another facet of the 40k background that has fell out of use/fashion?

Thanks for the link Bryan...

Wow that is some freehand painting task you had set yourself there. Good effort! It looks like you may have edited out the progressive stages in the army badge design, it would have been interesting to see that. However i like how you have tied it in with the backstory of your armies deployment style.

I also like the designs for the squad and company markings you came up with.

Well impressed with that thread, might have to take some time and read all of it.

Edit: interesting how folks are tying the design into the backstory of their forces. Hadn't thought of it like this before.

I painted an army badge on most of my Howling Griffons and Marines Errant to create a common theme across my army. It's a white skull in a yellow-bordered red circle and it's usually on each marine's left greave.

Edit: just noticed that it's hardly visible in the pictures in the thread I linked. Oh well. Trust me, it's there. ;)

I plan on doing them for my models - the fluff portion of the Shield of Baal Campaign books has some excellent artwork that shows just how unique and cool the badges can be, and how they can vary from unit to unit or role to role. Awesome narrative possibilities that I think many just overlook.

Archived