DA Vets Assault Loadout

Epher

Hail Brothers!!

First time posting here and new to the hobby.  Starting painting my DV set for a couple months now and got the veterans pack for Christmas. I noticed that a lot people do not use veterans much.  I was reading the codex and thought that this may be a decent loadout for assaulting and was thinking of building and playing.  I would appreciate some feedback if anyone has tried this or if it would work.  So here it is:

10 Veterans each with bolt pistol and power sword.  330 points to field.

Here is the logic behind it:

2 attacks base

+1 attack for 2 melee weapons

+1 attack for charging

So this would give 40 rolls of Strength 4 AP 3 attacks

Pair this with a Command Squad with the DA banner and 5 more vets with the same loadout this would give 75 rolls of strength 4 AP 3.

Now jam them all in a Land Raider Crusader and that would be a slew of hurt.

220 for the Command Squad with the banner and another 250 points for the LR.

This is not counting an HQ. So add  a Company Master for 90 points and upgrade the chain sword to another power sword and the grand total is: 890 points.

Seems pretty expensive and would be the target of ALL of the enemies fire but at least it was fun to ponder.

Thoughts?

"We are the Emperor's wrath! Let the blood of the unclean act as an offering to the Lion's shade!"

I think you mean to say power swords, not force swords. Also, two units can't both get into a single transport unless the second unit is an Independent Charcter who has joined the first unit (both of them now literally counting as a single unit). Fully read the core rules and the codex, then come back with a new idea. msn-wink.gif Also, there are other threads about Company Veterans load-outs, but they are somewhat buried at this point. Have a look around for threads on Company Veterans, and Company Command Squads too. There has been a good amount of discussion on both of them.

And welcome to The Bolter & Chainsword. Lots of good folks here. cool.png

Aside from what shabbadoo said, I would like to add that you don't need 10 men with powerswords because some will probably not even swing due to casualties. Also some powerfists and/or axes mix in for AP2 and extra strenght would work wonders.

I tend to run 6-7 in a Land Raider with a Company Master and Librarian attached. Weapon loadout is:

2x Veterans with Plasma Pistol and Chainsword

2x Veterans with Bolt Pistol and Power Sword

2x Veterans with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword (meat shields)

1x Veteran with Bolt Pistol and Power Maul

The Plasma Pistols help with AP2 before I charge, but if I think I'm going to be facing a lot of 2+ Armour Saves or Monstrous Creatures, I swap out the Power Swords for a Power Fist and a Thunder Hammer. Company Veterans are not popular, and they can be expensive, but I personally try to field armies from a Battle Company wherever possible. If this sounds like you, they can also be a nasty little surprise for the enemy, especially coupled with a Prescience-wielding Librarian.

I almost always run my Vets as dual-Plasma/Bolt pistol wielding, with a melta thrown in, disembarking from a Drop Pod. Pod gets them in pistol range, and that's enough AP 2 shots to drop anything.

Plus dual pistol wielding wins the Rule of Cool.

@shortysl: for the 2 plas pistol Vets, swap those chainswords for bolt pistols! It looks cool, you get two extra shots and lose nothing in combat.

I've modelled a Vet w lascannon and storm shield, just for giggles, but haven't used it in a game yet.

Archived