rules clarification regarding scout sargeants

aura_enchanted

I just noticed that it's possible for a scout to dual wield ranged weapons, for example a shotgun and a combi weapon Or a shotgun and a storm bolter

The logic comes from the fact that the primary loadout for scout rules state that you only exchange his base boltgun for

Pistol& sword, shotgun, a rifle

Then later under the loadout rules for a squad sargean. It says that he can tak. Items from the ranged weapons list while only losing a pistol, something he has regardless of loadou. (yes that means a cc sargeant has two pistols on him which is weird).

While this can't be exploited for much modeling a bolter onto a squad sarge as well as a sniper rifle means you can roll an extra dice at 6"

You could also mix this with the bod and a combi bolter to up the amount of shots they get at 6 (assuming the squad remains stationary) by 7 which is a considerable amount for only 10 points.

I do have a shotgun/combimelta sergeant modeled but he doesn't see much use, and probably wont unless our next codex gives us the LSS. While I'm attempting to come up with a scout themed list that isn't outright bad, there's honestly not much use to scouts unless you want snipers or just cheap troops for compulsory FOC slots.

Despite being able to have a bolter/combi-bolter and a sniper-rifle, You can only fire one weapon per shooting phase. Sure it is handy to have 2 weapons to choose from according to situation at hand  but it doesn't really augment their firepower in the shooting phase. You either fire the bolter, or the plasma portion or the sniper rifle, not the three at the same time.

I just discovered this myself. I'm considering modelling a sgt w both sniper rifle and combi melta. The ability to infiltrate means that the combi-melta might get within melta range without too much difficulty, and the rest of the snipers still have their bolt pistols and grenades to throw on the move. It's just another option/surprise if I have 10 pts leftover.

Archived