More DA rumours

Chaplain Lucifer

I received a rumor from a well connected source. As always, with rumors take them with a grain of salt.

So apparently DA will get some love on the Fall 2015. Source states that it will involve DA and Cypher and we will see progress on that front. The clock will move forward but not End Times style.

Expect to see some hints dropped in the meantime.

So what do you people think?

Me I am both thrilled and sceptic... I am expecting something to happen for DA because it was rumored already that they would be back soon, but I'm not expecting the clock to go forward.. maybe there will be more secrets revealed.

Well...

The plot of Cypher and the Unforgiven is gonna take a step forward in the new DA novel by Gav Thorpe that is meant to be released this year...

So if DA Will receive some love in the form of a new codex later this year it Will probably include the new fluff related to Cypher IMHO...

Well I should of known releasing real campaign books to go along with the DV Expansions made way too much sense.  

Wasn't too keen on Crimson Slaughter part anyways.

Maybe I will finally finish reading Ravenwing by the time this new Thorpe novel comes out.   It will be my 4th attempt. 

Plot moving forward = always good I'd say (unless it means getting Squatted!)

What this means for the tabletop? There's the changes we all want, the changes we perhaps need, and then the new sales opportunities that will dictate the changes we'll get.

I can't actually see us getting a new dex that would fix the problems I/we perceive. I fear it would be a campaign series designed to sell specific units old or new. Acknowledged that some if not most would love this, but personally not my preference

I am a cynic and pessimist though, so it's all talk for now, nothing to get really upset about.

I miss my DA so much I can't tell you. But the frustration with -some- units especially when seeing what they've done with the new stuff, is very difficult to stomach if you have options available to you.

My best example is the fun I'm having with the new Necron codex as an example... there is hardly a 'dud' unit in the codex. Sure some things shine, but there's a LOT of usable stuff....

Just like orks, tyranids, etc.... we just missed the boat as did Chaos in a lot of ways. IMHO seeing how "Decurion" works for Necrons, if the rumours are also true that this style of formation / core formation extends to other codexes it could easily repair some of the baddies in the DA codex.

I can't tell you how much my hobby side would love that. Keeping fingers crossed.

I agree w Master Sheol - the next DA novel will show us where our Chapter is going next.

I really like the Angels of Darkness and Legacy of Caliban trilogy...I think Gav tackles some very good themes and questions - especially Boreas' questions - if you take away the Fallen, what is left of the Dark Angels' identity? That question has driven my interest in fluff and painting my army as Guardians of the Covenant.

I've always thought that GW hit that note a little too often in their portrayal of DA, and we can come off a little two-dimensional.

I don't expect (or want) the Fallen to disappear entirely, nor do I expect Cypher's mission to be entirely solved, but I'm looking forward to seeing a new, updated take on it.

Interesting rumors.

I've listened to several interviews on podasts with Gav Thorpe recently, and the part of the rumor that is the most compelling is the timeline advance.

Thorpe has heavily suggested that in his 3rd book, there is some sort of massive battle between X and the entire Chapter of the Dark Angels, and more interestingly enough, the entire Chapters of many of the Unforgiven Successors. Essentially, a Legion sized fight.

How would a conflict this large affect the Dark Angels? Would its situation and structure change? What if the result is horrendous loss on the Dark Angel side? What if the result somehow brings Cypher into a role that advances HIS story, while at the same time, breaking the DA themselves out of the creative rut they have been sitting in on that front?

With salt, I can see the novels perhaps tying in with this "advancement" - as it really has no ties to the larger 40k universe, it just advances the one faction.   

Ruleswise I'm hoping for the best, there's a range of things I want to see from point adjustments, better HQ development and chapter wide rules, not to mention hopefully an interesting enough supplement.  I'll probably ultimately be disappointed and will sell off a lot of my army aside from a few select models I enjoyed painting.

Fluffwise I'm hoping for a little tightening up of the backstory.  While I know there's the whole "can you really tell what side DA is on?" angle, but I think that's more so a byproduct of inconsistency rather than actual narrative structure.  Advancement would be nice, but honestly with the potential removal of FOC HQs, imagine they kill off one of the captains? Sammael? Belial? in a final act of heroism for their company and chapter?

Fall of 2015 is far away though!

"With the conclusion of the Dark Angels I’m left to pitch some ideas for my next 40K series to the editors. I was intending to step away from the Space Marines for a bit of a non-superhuman-killing-machine breather, but after introducing some Consecrators in a cameo at the end of The Unforgiven, I might develop some of those characters a little."

From Gav's blog

I miss my DA so much I can't tell you. But the frustration with -some- units especially when seeing what they've done with the new stuff, is very difficult to stomach if you have options available to you.

My best example is the fun I'm having with the new Necron codex as an example... there is hardly a 'dud' unit in the codex. Sure some things shine, but there's a LOT of usable stuff....

Just like orks, tyranids, etc.... we just missed the boat as did Chaos in a lot of ways. IMHO seeing how "Decurion" works for Necrons, if the rumours are also true that this style of formation / core formation extends to other codexes it could easily repair some of the baddies in the DA codex.

I can't tell you how much my hobby side would love that. Keeping fingers crossed.

yeah well maybe if we also get a unit that has a reduced unit cost 12"move, fleet, T5, 2w 3++ and rending and 4+FNP then maybe we'll b talking. I for one am strongly considering abandoning all fluff principals and allying with wraiths. Some stuff is frustrating. 

yeah well maybe if we also get a unit that has a reduced unit cost 12"move, fleet, T5, 2w 3++ and rending and 4+FNP then maybe we'll b talking. I for one am strongly considering abandoning all fluff principals and allying with wraiths. Some stuff is frustrating. 

...or you could post another comic batrep...  that would work too...

It's deeper than that. I don't understand the comparison honestly. Wraith's are 'good' but hardly game breakers.... it's bigger than that. I'm talking about moving forward with Dark Angels without having to create 'Wraiths' or whatever it is that you think is strong....

It's about the style of army being created by formations. The real strength in that Necron codex is the Decurion (very potent) and its sub-formations that are legal to the Decurion.

If the rumours are true about the DA, that is the way I hope they go. My friend has played Blood Angels forever, and he's really happy with his codex, but a lot of the formations are head scratchers, and some are fantastic.

If the rumour is true that GW is slowing on 40K codexes now that they are all hardcover, than formations through campaign books is the biggest help we're going to get. I really believe that.

It'll be very interesting to revisit this thread at that time and see if they did a campaign formation style fix or a full codex. I'm betting it's a half dozen or so formations from a campaign for Dark Angels and another set for Chaos. It's just easier for them to apply 'fixes' this way rather than do up a whole one army codex.

P.S. As a side note: Wraiths went up in price, not down. And if you want to take away the RP roll, kill the spyder.

The decurion formation style for DA would just work so well, I really hope they do that.  It would be easy to impliment too.  You have a Deathwing, Ravenwing and Greenwing formation that make up the core, similar to what the reclamation legion detachment is for necrons, you then can have all the other formations that fit into that, allowing each one to be slightly complemented by the style of army you want to run, its so easy and would fix so many problems! really hope they do it. 

You could do the same for Chaos SM too, just have one core formation for each god: nurgle, khorne, etc. and then have the other fit into that.  I really like this new style for lists that necrons have and hope all armies eventually get it, we could see some real balance that way and back to fun fluffy competitive lists.

If it's anything like the BA book, expect DWT and bikes to move back to their codex-adherent slots.

Deathwing will get their own detachment (Warlord traits, relics, 1-2 HQ, 2-20 elites????), as will ravenwing.

So you'd be able to take a greenwing detachment with or without elite deathwing, then a separate deathwing detachment wit its own detachment bonuses  (probably deathwing assault??).

If it's anything like the BA book, expect DWT and bikes to move back to their codex-adherent slots.

Deathwing will get their own detachment (Warlord traits, relics, 1-2 HQ, 2-20 elites????), as will ravenwing.

So you'd be able to take a greenwing detachment with or without elite deathwing, then a separate deathwing detachment wit its own detachment bonuses  (probably deathwing assault??).

And Azrael will become a Lord of War...

Here's the curve ball.  Moving the timeline forward and linking it to the Gav Thorpe novels = Cypher becomes the Lord of War.

Ok maybe not that drastic, but I agree a Decurion type formation may not be bad for DA.

Then again my pessimistic side says Stobz is right.  We may be on 8th edition or priced out of my range by then.  Case in point my son plays Necrons and their data cards just went up by another 50%+ to $12.50 U.S.  from $8.00. Other outrageous gouges are the cost of new Characters starting with  BA release and continuing with Necrons.  It's nuts going up from +/- $20 to +/-$30.

I think I'll stick with DV stuff folks are selling off and keep kit bashing them to make my new units standout from other boxed ones.

Regardless of changes, I will maintain my army of Caliban Green, RW Black, and DW Bone and defend DA honor at local tournaments.

"Never Forget and Never Forgive."

V/R

Master Sindiferous

Let me take Azeael in terminator armor. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaase.

I think, as "Talon of Horus" seems to show, the plot is moving to where all the pieces are set for the end times. The clock is at midnight. We won't see the conclusion but we might have the enemy Pounding on the door (Enternity Gate)

I don't think so. Unlike BA assault squads we always had bikes and termites as Troops one way or another.

Archived