Arriving from reserves order timing (Monolith specific)

InquisitorBlack

It states in the rulebook that reserves rolls occur at the 'start of your second/third turn'. Reserves are then placed (either from the board edge or deepstrike) before the player 'proceeds to other movement as normal'.

The monolith eternity gate rules currently state that at the start of a friendly turn, you may nominate a single unit on the board or in reserves, and have it arrive as if disembarking from the eternity gate.

My query:

Which of these happens first, or is it at the volition of the player whose turn it is, who normally gets to decide order priority when things occur at simultaneous steps? Thus, is it possible to deep strike the monolith and then nominate a unit to disembark from it before moving onto the standard movement phase?

The only possible reason as to why this isn't possible is that the reserves rules wording implies that reserve arrival is considered a type of movement occurring before regular movement, which may be interpreted as indirectly implying that it occurs after the "beginning of the turn" step where things such as vortex movement would occur.

The Eternity Gate may have changed. I will have to check on it to be sure, but I think it specifically addresses this. I will report back once I check.

Update: I have checked the Gate's rules, and it activates at the beginning of the friendly player's turn. So same time as Reserves are rolled and brought in, I believe, so owner's choice.

Actually, you should read page 136 of the rulebook:

"A unit cannot [snip] use abilities or special rules that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from reserves."

Nothing in the Monoliths Eternity Gate special rules over-rides this.

- - - - -

However, the Monoliths from the Living Tomb formation can as its Tomb Nexus special rule is worded specifically to effectively allow the Eternity Gate ability / special rule to apply on the turn the Monoliths arrive.

Actually, you should read page 136 of the rulebook:

"A unit cannot [snip] use abilities or special rules that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from reserves."

Nothing in the Monoliths Eternity Gate special rules over-rides this.

- - - - -

However, the Monoliths from the Living Tomb formation can as its Tomb Nexus special rule is worded specifically to effectively allow the Eternity Gate ability / special rule to apply on the turn the Monoliths arrive.

Ah, been wondering where that may have gone to.

Archived