Re. Magnetizing the new Tactical Squad kit (Heavy weapons)

appiah4

GW seem to have pulled off yet another epic petty win, making the heavy weapon options in this kit use two piece backpacks, half of which, you guessed it riiiiiight are shared between the two.  Apparently to make sure you don't get a free second heavy weapon out of the kit (god forbid they give you a good value in anything - I am looking forward to see if this bull:cuss pattern that started with combi-weapons continues..)

So my question is: Has anyone who got the new BA Tactical Squad kit so far managed to magnetize the heavy weapon options so far?  I have 4 of the Heavy Flamer/Heavy Bolter kits, and I can't seem to come up with any sensible plan that allows for changing between the two..  I'm sure someone more experienced at modeling SM has come up with an idea, so please share  :)

Yeah I'd rig up something to make it look decent, or buy the part from eBay. I just put together a tactical marine squad and I used the heavy bolter. I looked at the heavy flamer and thought "that's nice I can save that for later" ... lol guess I can but it will require a little work.

For the price of their products GW should be more accommodating in this regard.

I did not try to magnetize the pack, but what about taking a diffrent approach?

Glue the part that is common, and magnetize only the bulky bit i mean. They are empty, filled with green stuff should snugly fit a magnet there. That marine will forever be the heavy weapon guy, but i guess that's the point no?

Really? GW puts second heavy weapon in a tactical box and we complain about it? Would you rather they didn't?

The BA tactical squad is incredible. So what if you can only make a single heavy weapon for the squad that can only take a single heavy weapon. The amount of stuff you get in there just about makes up for the fact it costs more than twice what a tac squad cost in 1998, in which you got a flamer and missile launcher. And had to pay an additional 50% of the cost of the tac box to buy a heavy/special weapon blister.

Guess what, the Dev squad sprue comes with spare HVB ammo cases, and I'm sure you could jury rig the HVB ammo pack onto another backpack without too much fuss.

I did not try to magnetize the pack, but what about taking a diffrent approach?

Glue the part that is common, and magnetize only the bulky bit i mean. They are empty, filled with green stuff should snugly fit a magnet there. That marine will forever be the heavy weapon guy, but i guess that's the point no?

That should work. If it doesn't, it shouldn't be too difficult to make the back plate out of GS.

Guess what, the Dev squad sprue comes with spare HVB ammo cases, and I'm sure you could jury rig the HVB ammo pack onto another backpack without too much fuss.

Having those other weapons is way too tempting. Not enough legs to go around and use up all those other options. Thus why bitz sellers make a killing on legs.

It's kinda sad, but for marine heavy weapons i've ended up just making one of each to swap out, just used extras from the pile of devastators i got and did it that way, the heavy flamer/bolter though was annoying (with it being a 'make one or the other, because we didn't pack in enough pieces'), and i ended up getting it off ebay, luckily i only needed it for the flamer since i already had a heavy bolter from a devastator kit.

I LOVE magnetising, but sometimes its like 'is it worth the headache and possibility of looking awful (or ruining the model and having to buy more bits) for the cost of just getting some extra weapons and mocking up another marine'. I decided to just get another box of immortals instead of the nightmare of trying to magnetise the little cables or the tiny tiny wrists, i have to say though the ability to get all the options i want/could want in the future, and the ability to magnetise does slightly affect my purchase decision for units lol.

A more pressing question would be why are you putting a heavy bolter in a tac squad in teh first place msn-wink.gif

I'm the only person I know that uses one!

Well there are some people like myself that seem to have an obsession of being able to field anything that *could* be good lol, i don't like the idea of mocking up a squad, and its all nice and good, have it all painted up, then one day realising 'oh.. that other option was good, aww i cant have that now..' So it may be just more of a fear of missing out thing lol.

Doesn't matter if heavy bolters aren't any good for a tac squad, i *might* want to have one sometime lol :-P

There's also the point that heavy bolters are absolutely the coolest heavy weapon (and possibly the coolest weapon, full stop!) in the Space Marines armory.  In terms of fluff and concept, they are so far above any other weapon it's unreal!

Pity they aren't equally-well represented in the game!

There's also the point that heavy bolters are absolutely the coolest heavy weapon (and possibly the coolest weapon, full stop!) in the Space Marines armory.  In terms of fluff and concept, they are so far above any other weapon it's unreal!

I think the autocannon is just as cool. Too bad the loyalists don't use them with infantry.

Archived