Thoughts on Lightning Claws

DarkAngeal

Hello brothers. To start this off, I have never ran lightning claws, but I am coming off my first tournament weekend, and I think some more attacks at ap3 could have done a lot.

So what would you think of a deathwing terminator squad with 4 thss, 6 lighting claws, and 2 cyclones? Could this unit be effective? More range? What are your thoughts?

Hello brothers. To start this off, I have never ran lightning claws, but I am coming off my first tournament weekend, and I think some more attacks at ap3 could have done a lot.

So what would you think of a deathwing terminator squad with 4 thss, 6 lighting claws, and 2 cyclones? Could this unit be effective? More range? What are your thoughts?

Deep strike that at a soft spot with Belial and the enemy will get nervous! 

unless their tau, then youve just given them all the opportunity to get first blood with pieplates and dakka

I throw a set of claws in here and there, its nice to strike first with terminators sometimes.  however, unless they're coming out of a land raider, and charging in to something other than tau (or 20 elder guardians), I wouldn't take them.

unless their tau, then youve just given them all the opportunity to get first blood with pieplates and dakka

Deepstriking takes place in your turn so unless they have a bunch of AP2 interceptor pieplates somehow then you're not going to lose 10 terminators and with that much firepower you're likely going to wipe some poor unit off the board.

I think LC's have their place but they shouldn't be the most numerous weapon. With all the AP2going around you need many stprm shelds to soak up fire. I actually don't run LC's on any of my squads because I either need storm bolters, the 3+ inv or the AP2... but I could sprinkle 1 per 5 man if I was so inclined.

I think if you are planning on Deathwing Assaulting your squads if you take claws make sure to put a cyclone on their backs to participate in Vengeful Strike.

That is the only configuration for them that I would consider.

I have always loved the idea of claw terminators but in truth unless they do something in the shooting phase then they are dead weight.

Must say that claws always look awesome. But for sheer versatility would plump for a storm bolter powerfist model in this game edition.

To the OPs speific query - consider a smaller squad but deploy them from a Land Raider Crusader and have them assualt from it. In that scenario claws have a place for sure.

Cheers

I

I will say playing DA assault style terminators I always defaulted to the Knights/flails. And *IF* I needed more punch I always defaulted to Hammer/Shields.

However with Ultra I've just tried a different mind set and found really good balance in 2 claws and 3 hammer/shields for every 5 works really well. It makes me regret not giving claws an honest chance with DA.

Archived