The Heavy Bolter ....

Helias_Tancred

I have used my standard tactical squad with flamer and heavy bolter in dozens of games, and can honestly say, that the heavy bolter generally does nothing. It was good when it was free, but now... I dunno.

I generally keep my tac squads moving, so it is snap firing most of the time. The flamer just works so much better.

They already are...

Of course, this leads to some people complaining about them being there and not all in one Codex ("Oh the new Codex isn't complete, blabblablhab") but hey-ho.

*checks*

Well hey! You're right. Then it shouldn't be that much of a problem to update, then.

I don't think a heavy 3 weapon would be much improved by making it salvo 1/3 or 2/3.

Knock its cost down to 5 pts (or better yet, free) and make it salvo 2/3 and I'd at least consider them.

Salvo would be great if it was still rapid fire with more shots. The half range makes it a lot less interesting.

The HB at half range still gets 18 inches, which is respectible. Only 6 inches less than a Bolter at max range.

Not to mention it would allow moving in and doubletapping with your 12" Boltgun torrent.

Yeah, Salvo 2/3 S5 AP4 would be a respectable fix.

Giving it Rending would also work in my book.

I think the designers thought the HB should be like a GPMG/HMG and not like a SAW. When the HB was created, I don't think things like SAWs were widely known or used. Unfortunately the HB does not perform like you'd expect a HMG to perform. On top of that in the Guard those are crew served weapons, so the designers probably thought having the space marines run around with them would be too much. Remember snap shots are a pretty recent addition AFAIK.

I think the designers thought the HB should be like a GPMG/HMG and not like a SAW. When the HB was created, I don't think things like SAWs were widely known or used. Unfortunately the HB does not perform like you'd expect a HMG to perform. On top of that in the Guard those are crew served weapons, so the designers probably thought having the space marines run around with them would be too much. Remember snap shots are a pretty recent addition AFAIK.

Good points and probably true.

Like I said, if they don't want it to become a mobile meatgrinder, they may just give it Rending and I'd still be ok.  Hell, I'd be OK if they gave it pinning.

Like I said, if they don't want it to become a mobile meatgrinder, they may just give it Rending and I'd still be ok.  Hell, I'd be OK if they gave it pinning.

Rending just makes it a slightly less good assault cannon.

Pinning would be a great addition, relying on it more for suppressing fire rather than straight up damage. 

Rending just makes it a slightly less good assault cannon.

Pinning would be a great addition, relying on it more for suppressing fire rather than straight up damage. 

Which is the role of squad or platoon machine guns IRL today. Makes sense.

heavy bolter is fine. the problem is, as the editions have gone on, so has list building. i remember back in 3rd when i could run a long fang squad with basically everything but the MM and do FINE. now if i dont carry at least 2 missile launchers to crack trucks (this includes rhinos) i basically lose.

Archived