What is the best way to add numbers to a DA Army?

JeffJedi

I'm going to be playing a couple battles in a few weeks at 1750 points and I am tired of being hopelessly outnumbered. What are some good value units that I can bring?

Is the Standard of Devastation worth it on a static tactical army? I usually bring it when using Ravenwing. Would the Standard of Fortune be more useful in defense? Are massed tactical squads worth trying?

There will be 6 total players and we will draw straws to find out who we will play for 2 games. My potential opponents will be Necron, Chaos Marines, Orks, Tyranids, Tau, Dark Eldar, Space Wolves and Imperial Guard (!) so a take all comers list will be best.

I can bring anything in the codex chapter except Drop Pods, the new Speeders and Flyers.

Whirlwinds and Vindicators. Pie plates of S10/AP1 and out of sight ignore cover Barrages should effectively even the numbers against all your opposing armies except Chaos Marines and Space Wolves.

Are you allowed allies? Imperials, Inquisition, Knights or Codex marines are all options.

As already said, Whirlwinds are a great choice especially when you have a nice mix of opponents that are not all in Power Armour.

Can you get a hold of at least 1 Drop Pod?

In the couple of times I have fielded them, a Command Squad with 5 Meltas and a cheap Librarian with PFG all in a pod has made an excellent alpha strike tank popper for me. They last longer than a throw away unit due to the PFG and the Libby can give them Prescience for max damage. Mine have always lasted till about turn 2 or 3. If you want them to last that little bit longer you can make one of them an Apothecary and you can give the Libby a combi-melta.

No matter what you decide though make sure you have a solid core of mobile troops to take objectives.

to add squads for cheap? scouts are solid cheap bodies that cost only 10 points more than imperial guard, and regardless of any loadout other than shotguns you have AP equivalent to other space marines, 4 + armor is a bit lousy but they have scout so they can get up the field quickly.

if your allowed allies i like militarium tempestus since their base troops as bs4, 4+ armor, ap3, and they all base value have deepstrike. a comissar is only 30 points so an allied detachment is actually fairly cheap

25 for the hq

70 for a base squad of tempestus

tada allies CAD minimums met for 95pts.

they can provide immedeate threat to the board because they can dump a serious amount of gunfire down the table (all their weapons are hotshot lasrifles s3 ap3 rapid fire). and their a way to get cheap small pieplates as well (per 5 guys you can get a grande launcher for 5 pts) and they can can mix well naturally with any of our three wings.

Ah, now I am really liking these ideas! The Whirlwind is a staple of my army already and I have a partially built Vindicator to finish. I have always wanted to try melta command squad but I never thought of adding a PFG Librarian to them. Sounds deadly and will be a new trick up my sleeve.

I do have a Knight but I don't think I will be able to play it based on points. Sniper Scouts are usually a go for me.

I will be a heretic and say: if you have some points and a FA slot to spare... Assault squad with 2 flamers and combi flamer. It will be roasting Nids and SW defensively, roasting orks both on offense and defense, Tau, Necron and IG on the offense. They wn't break the  bank and with decent cover LoS blocker can be a good surprise.

Ok, with Lucifer's Flamer Assault Squad I am up to 952 of my 1750. Still plenty of points to play with here and a healthy 35 models so far.

Librarian, PFG
Command Squad, 5 Meltaguns,

Drop Pod (borrow my brother's)
Scout Squad (6), Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher
Tactical Squad, Combi-Plasma, Plasma Gun, Lascannon
Assault Squad, Vet, Powersword, Melta Bombs, 2 Flamers
Whirlwind
Vindicator (finish building)

I should toss in some Deathwing and Ravenwing surely. I have a couple weeks to fine tune this list so more suggestions are welcome.

Honestly with Raven and Deathwing's I'd either make them a staple or leave them at home. I would add at least one more Tac Squad and if you can fill the scout squad to 10. Much better than five rifles. Also plasma! We are the first legion we need plasma! Ok bit over the top but seriously some plasma heavy squad of something would help out. If you want to give the assault squad some more oomph you can add a Reclusiarch with Jump Pack and he will help them smash things. Then you could add another command squad with full Plas or four plasma and Apoth. Need a delivery system though. Rhino or another pod. Or if you want you could swap the Meltaguns for Plasma on your current command squad. Do up a Ravenwing squad with melta's......add an attack bike with Multi Melta and outflank (highly recommended) and if you really feel squirrely bring a Landspeeder with Multi Melta and Heavy flamer. Last option covers your Melta issues with plenty of bikes. Gives you a Plasma squad in the Command Squad and you could drop the Reclusiarch I suggested and still have it all. I wouldn't do more than one squad of Ravenwing though. Personally I always go with the full squad Attack bike and the Lanspeeder.

Yup, Black Knights. You will probably need a way to throat punch termie armour and definitely clear some power armour, plasma talons are never a bad idea. Never.

Maybe a Typhoon or three as well, you are a little lite on long range touching.

And if you're keen on adding DW then why not? DSing into the thick will help keep your Warlord and his squad alive a bit longer while your Assault Squad etc push forward into the face of the baddies

Depends of what you means by "numbers"

Personnally I play a poded DA army consisting of

2 librarians

1 command squad with 5 meltas

1command squad with 5 plasmas

4x 10 tacticals with melta MM combi melta

Ven dread with TLHF/HF

5 assault marines with dual flamer

57 infantry models + one dread + 8 pods (7 with deathwind ML)

I'm rarely out numbered... Particularly after the first shooting phase :P

Now you can replace the dread with company vets with bolter plasma rasing your number to 62... More than half a company...

I see a deficiency of metal Bawkses..   Definately rhinos/HB Razorbacks.  Rhinos will let the Special weapon combat squad go tank hunting while you leave the heavy half back where the BoD stands..  
More Tacticals.

Do not lightly pass over the 95pt Predator either.

Scouting Black Knights and a Deep Striking, Twin Linked, Deathwing squad can wreck troops and light tanks in the back field...

Ok, at 1747 points and 54 models we have this army:

Librarian, PFG

Command Squad, 5 Meltaguns,
Drop pod

Scout Squad (9), sniper rifles, missile launcher, Cameo Cloaks

Tactical Squad (10), Combi Plasma, Plasma Gun, Lascannon

Assault Squad (10), Vet Sgt, Powersword, Meltabombs, 2 Flamers

Whirlwind

Vindicator

Deathwing Squad (5), Chainfist, Assault Cannon

Company Veterans (5), 2 Combi Meltas, 2 Combi Plasma, Plasma Gun
Razorback, Twin Heavy Bolter

Predator, Autocannon, 2 Heavy Bolters

Ravenwing Black Knights (3), Grenade Launcher

Ravenwing Landspeeder, Heavy Bolter, Typhoon Missile Launcher

I'm a little bit iffy about the Typhoon Speeder as it always explodes so I could swap that out and change the scout numbers to gain points for something else. What do you think, brothers?

I know I'm late to the discussion, but if it's worth anything to you...

1) go full Greenwing. In my army list I've got a fully mobile demi-company plus Chaplain and Librarian at 1500pts. As DoC Sgt says, 50-odd PA bodies is nothing to be sniffed at.

2) alternatively, use DeathRaven to deny your opponent his/her numbers. Bikes or Black knights guiding in a DW Flamer & Claws squad would in theory tie up any blob squad threatening to overwhelm, allowing a Greenwing gunline to focus on selected higher value targets.

I agree with Solrac.  Use the Typhoon at a distance.  With 48" range you can pop up from behind cover to potentially pen and explode armored vehicles or hovering fliers and provides some heavy artillery support dealing death to troops in the open.  I sometimes run 3 Speeders, two with missiles from a distance and one with flamer and cannon to provide close support to assaulting troops and bikes.

Don't forget BatReps when you start the games.

This is the Imperial Fists list I ran with in my last game, and will be using today, with any luck.

Imperial Fists (1840pts)
Space Marines: Codex (2013) v60 (Primary Detachment)
  • (No Category)
    • Chapter Tactics

Imperial Fists

• Command Squad

3x Bolt Pistol, Company Standard, Frag and Krak Grenades, Meltagun, Plasma Gun, Power Armour, Power Fist, 3x Veteran

• Apothecary

Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

• Company Champion

Combat Shield, Power Sword

• HQ
    • Captain

Artificer Armor, Power Fist, Storm Bolter

• Librarian

Mastery Level 2

• Terminator Armour

Force Maul

• Elites
    • Terminator Assault Squad

Swap Lightning Claws for TH/SS, 4x Terminators

• Land Raider Redeemer

Multi-Melta

• Terminator Sergeant

Swap Lightning Claws for TH/SS

• Troops
    • Tactical Squad

Meltagun, Multi-Melta, 9x Space Marine

• Space Marine Sergeant

Grav Pistol, Power Weapon

• Tactical Squad

Grav-gun, Plasma Cannon, 9x Space Marine

• Space Marine Sergeant

Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon

• Heavy Support
    • Devastator Squad

2x Heavy Bolter, 2x Lascannon, 9x Space Marine

• Space Marine Sergeant

Bolter, Chainsword

• Devastator Squad

2x Lascannon, 2x Missile Launcher w/ flakk, 9x Space Marine

• Space Marine Sergeant

Bolt pistol, Combi-weapon

• Predator

Autocannon, Heavy Bolters, Storm Bolter

Created with BattleScribe

Obviously, DA don't have access to Grav weapons so you'd have to switch them out.  As it's around 100 points over, maybe removing the captain or command squad might be the best bet.

Hope it helps.

We're pretty much always hopelessly outnumbered because our elite units (note, not just Elite units) are quite a bit more expensive than their codex counterparts and equivalents from other codices.

I ALWAYS run the Standard of Devastation in a static gunline; just two Tactical Squads are doing the work of eight at long range and four at 12" or less. I had a friend of mine tell me just the other day that my firepower was disgusting (he played White Scars).

In my personal opinion, adding numbers isn't the way to go. As I said with the Tacticals, you're simulating much higher numbers just by using a force multiplier and I think that's the crux of our army; force multiplication. Ravenwing Grenade Launchers amplify the effectiveness of any other unit that hits the affected opposing unit, Vengeful Strike amplifies the firepower of our Deathwing on the turn they Deep Strike and the Standard of Devastation/Librarian with Prescience combo is pure awesomesauce.

I hope my suggestions are of some worth to you, even if it's just to give you a laugh as you sit there thinking "noob".

Took me a long time to realise that greater numbers weren't the key to using Dark Angels, but I'm starting to put the fear of the First back into my gaming circle now that I've had my little epiphany.

Force Multiplication and synergy. It's lovely.

We're pretty much always hopelessly outnumbered because our elite units (note, not just Elite units) are quite a bit more expensive than their codex counterparts and equivalents from other codices.

I ALWAYS run the Standard of Devastation in a static gunline; just two Tactical Squads are doing the work of eight at long range and four at 12" or less. I had a friend of mine tell me just the other day that my firepower was disgusting (he played White Scars).

In my personal opinion, adding numbers isn't the way to go. As I said with the Tacticals, you're simulating much higher numbers just by using a force multiplier and I think that's the crux of our army; force multiplication. Ravenwing Grenade Launchers amplify the effectiveness of any other unit that hits the affected opposing unit, Vengeful Strike amplifies the firepower of our Deathwing on the turn they Deep Strike and the Standard of Devastation/Librarian with Prescience combo is pure awesomesauce.

I hope my suggestions are of some worth to you, even if it's just to give you a laugh as you sit there thinking "noob".

Took me a long time to realise that greater numbers weren't the key to using Dark Angels, but I'm starting to put the fear of the First back into my gaming circle now that I've had my little epiphany.

Force Multiplication and synergy. It's lovely.

Not that i'm disagreeing with you, but i always think that even with all those synergies... Greenwing list works best if you got the numbers. 

Archived