best use of the dark shroud

ZONKEY

Battle brothers of the rock,

I seek your knowledge in the best way to use the dark shroud ... Should I use it to cover my plasma devistator squads with sniper support or to guide my black wing of 6 bikes?

I will be going against a mech marine army player who posses a raptor and storm talon gunship?

They also give +1 combat result in a large bubble.  Now this may seem lame, but let me tell you, against the new necron codex its a godsend.  Combined with a banner that gives you +2 combat result.  The new necron codex has no real way to get fearless on their IC's or most of their infantry, besides a warlord trait which either has to be rolled or using that one special character that lets you choose a trait each turn.  If they lose combat and fail their check, that low initiative is a death sentence.  I used my ravenwing list and unloaded my whole shooting force into a big immortal squad with an overlord and cryptek, only killed like a pathetic 4 immortals, thats with 2 full black knight command squads and a ton of bolter banner shots.  However getting into combat he lost by 4 + 2 from the darkshroud and banner, easily failed morale and whole blob and warlord were overrun. 

So it can give that that unexpected boost to tie or win combats you normally wouldn't, and if they aren't fearless/ATSKNF can have some hilarious implications.

I've always thought, but never tried, an idea using 2 shourds behind an Aegis Gun line. Until someone hits you with deny cover, then it's over. But the possibilities are there, but again, I've never tried it.

But since Jink improved in 7th, it's not nearly as 'go to' as it used to be for Ravenwing.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use the one depending on your opponent and how much ignores cover they have

EX against Tau it stays at the back otherwise it gets nuked with smart missiles and covers the Whirlwind & Typhoons who's job it is to annihilate any Markers and or Pathfinders 1st turn

Against Marines it hangs with the Command squad coz it normally gets Targeted by the Thunderfire Cannon may well be outflanking as well

Each Battle is different but the boost to +2 combat Res from the DS + Banner causes major problems for what is normally tricky opponents

Would it work well if a agies defence line?

The only problem I see is that the Darkshroud would actually be hovering above the ADL and not benefit from the 3+ cover save.

Now, with the Honored Imperium you could park a vehicle or a squad behind the statue with a Darkshroud for a 2+ cover save... I might give it a try.

Archived