Blood Angels Alpha Strike Plog

Duke Danse Macabre

So like many people I tend to work a bit better when i have a bit of added urgency or something to drive me forwards, taking that on board I have made this plog to help with the army creation process.

Now I am still debating the list so any help is appriciated in advising me what would be best.

I am a old school BA player having played the armies since the Angels of Death joint codex but since then I have got my fingers into many more imperial forces.

Now my concept behind the force is first turn superiority, I want to be hitting the ground running, going first, dropping in all from reserve on wings of fire and holding my foe back as long as i can in an effort to mimimise any chance they have to fight back.

However I am building this list with a look to buy and paint everything on it so I want to avoid mistakes.

My List runs 7 Drop Pods and 1 Flyer using the codex formation for bonus Initiative during charges.

My HQ will be Captain Karlean to allow me to Seize first turn on a 5+, Allied Inquisitor Cortez to allow me to reroll failed atempts and to force my foe to reroll if they go first and Finally an (Hard to recall name at this moment as 2 have similar names) Calexus Assassin which would turn 1 inch from my foe with a AP 2 flame template and give my foe -3 to reserves which should make sure (unless they have multiple flyers) that I have air superiority.

The list will have 3 Suicide Melta Squads, 2 Basic 5 man Melta Squads to hold Objectives wherever needed and 2 Large 10 Man Squads to really shift decent size units and use their weight of fire.

The 2 HQ choices will fit somewhere into the 5 Drop pods which only have 5 men depending on where i think they are needed before the battle starts.

The Storm Taven I am thinking Multi Melta, Assault Cannon so it is anti flyer/ armour with a mix of anti troop in there as well and will be carrying a reasonable strength assault terminator squad with it to give a hammer blow against any problem units I identify or am having trouble moving.

If I go first and his reserves are delyaed i should have 3 full turns before they have a flyer on the board or if they are running thunder wolves in reserve its even more fun.

I have posted the list below, I have already started to get hold of the models I need but I don' want to buy everything in and end up getting it completely wrong.

It is worth saying I have a fair bit of BA stuff already but I have decided to sell on most of it with an exception with characers due to my painting skills improving over the years.

And just incase anyone is wondering, the points value is set at 1850 due to that being the local tournament meta.

Pictures are going to start following soon but allot of things are sitting still in boxes are in a half finished state.

- Captain Karlean: Warlord

- Calexus Assassin: Ally

- Cortez: Ally

5 Man Assault Terminator Squad:
3 Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield:
2 Duel Lightning Claws

Storm Raven:
Twin Linked Assault Cannon
Twin Linked Multi Melt
Storm Strike Missiles

10 Man Tactical Squad:

Veteran Sargent:
Power Weapon:
Heavy Flamer:
Melta Gun:

Drop Pod:
Storm Bolter

10 Man Tactical Squad:
Veteran Sargent:
Power Weapon:
Heavy Flamer:
Melta Gun:

Drop Pod:
Storm Bolter

5 Man Tactical Squad:
Melta Gun:

Drop Pod:
Storm Bolter

5 Man Tactical Squad:
Melta Gun:

Drop Pod:
Storm Bolter

5 Man Assault Squad:
Infernus Pistol:
2 Melta Guns:
Drop Pod

5 Man Assault Squad:
Infernus Pistol:
2 Melta Guns:
Drop Pod

5 Man Assault Squad:
Infernus Pistol:
2 Melta Guns:
Drop Pod

I would drop one of the melta tac squads, and add another infernus to each assault squad to make sure those 'alpha strikes' really do the damage.

I see where you are coming from but the bother i am having is I want 4 Drop pods turn 1.

if i drop 1 I am losing the weight of numbers which I had otherwise, Also I like to make sure to keep as many as I can for scoring drop pods.

I mean, you could be dropping both 5 man melta squads and not lose much from the army.

You also dont really have weight of numbers, as you will be dropping 20 marines into your opponent's backfield. Only 20 marines on the table vs their entire army? That won't go well.

I'd consider:

Drop coteaz (how many points?) 

Go to double force org.

Get a drop pod from one of your now extra FA slots, and stick the terminators in there.

I would lose 2 objective holding squads, I would also lose having 4 pods on turn 1.

Unless I can have something else come in turn 1 which those 230 points come make better use of then I would consider it a waste.

Hell I have Even considered a Librarian Dread.

30 Turn 1 to strip their armour and hurt squads,  20 turn 2 with flyer and terminators. 

Cortez gives me turn 1, without him this army is useless.

If i go double Force org as well and DP terminators they are going to be sat for a turn being shot to hell.

I would lose 2 objective holding squads, I would also lose having 4 pods on turn 1.

Yes, 4 pods T1, but one of those pods isnt doing very much. All of your units are equally good at holding objectives, are you calling the 5 man tac squads objective holding due to objective secured? If so, realise that the Baal Strike Force detachment does not get objective secured on troops, they get the universal red thirst rule instead. In that sense, the additional tac squads are, as I said, redundant.

I know I will not have that rule.

However all units are scoring in 7th.

So turn 1 i have 2 5 man Assault Squads with 3 Melta per, a character in each, my assassin on the board and 2 10 man squads, turn 2 sees 1 more Melta Assault Squad, my Raven and 2 5 man tactical squads who role it is to land on objectives or hinder depending on the game.

This should make sure that before turn 1 is up he has took high infantry losses and armour priority targets have been killed.

May switch Cortez to second wave depending on the foe depending on target priority.

Another suggestion then.

Why not go combined arms detachment. You dont really seem to be making the most of the +1I from the BSF. Your army slips across with no issues. You then get obSec.

This also opens the potential to swap Karlaen for a generic HQ with the Veritas Vitae, who gets 2 rolls on strategic, both of which get rerolls. Not as reliable as Karlaen, that's a given, but you could save like 90pts.

Food for thought.

Archived