Scylax Guardian Automata

Just re-read the rule book, here's what I found.

Pg47. "If a unit has one or more models in base contact with an enemy model, then it is locked in combat".

Emphasis on enemy. So no, it wouldn't activate on friendlies as you can't get locked in combat with friendly models per the definition.

Looks like Scyllax are slightly better than I thought. Still overpricetd with too few attacks though.

That's what I meant with

the skitarii discussion brought up something that might revalue scyllax, too: friendly models cannot be locked in combat with each other, so the rad poisoning only ever affects enemies.

Now with the enemy reduced to T3 most of the time, the Scyllax's S6 attack becomes even more instant-deadly.

Exept against light infantry (in HH? yeah right) and on the charge, I can't think of a situation where their normal attacks would be used.

So there's another rules conundrum:

the mechadendrite combat array lists the special rules maelstrom (6 to wound = extra attack) and dismemberment (forgo normal number of attacks for a single attack with the following profile: S+2 AP2 melee unwieldy).

Does the special dismemberment attack still profit from the maelstrom rule (since it comes with the weapon, although it is not listed *again* in the special profile)?

Just re-read the rule book, here's what I found.

Pg47. "If a unit has one or more models in base contact with an enemy model, then it is locked in combat".

Emphasis on enemy. So no, it wouldn't activate on friendlies as you can't get locked in combat with friendly models per the definition. 

Looks like Scyllax are slightly better than I thought. Still overpricetd with too few attacks though. 

Oh okay...I mean they're still bad, but not as bad as I thought. Majority Toughness still puts any character you put with them at T5 though. So on Arch-Magos, you don't need that machinator array, it's wasted points really. 

Now with the enemy reduced to T3 most of the time, the Scyllax's S6 attack becomes even more instant-deadly.

Exept against light infantry (in HH? yeah right) and on the charge, I can't think of a situation where their normal attacks would be used.

Yeah I mean they don't even have Rending on their normal attacks. Or AP3. Ursarax are just absurdly better in the same job, and they can move faster too. And can get powerfists. Urgh...why do Scylla suck so much?

the mechadendrite combat array lists the special rules maelstrom (6 to wound = extra attack) and dismemberment (forgo normal number of attacks for a single attack with the following profile: S+2 AP2 melee unwieldy).

Does the special dismemberment attack still profit from the maelstrom rule (since it comes with the weapon, although it is not listed *again* in the special profile)?

Yeah, but you'd only get another S5 slap, you wouldn't resolve the extra Maelstrom attack using the S6 AP2 profile. Also, it won't trigger any more attacks either. Also, its only on a 6. 

Archived