need some advice on librarians

Dusktiger

morning brothers,

so i have this old metal librarian that i was thinking of updating a bit and putting into my collection, but as i haven't played any games with the new book yet, i was wondering if anyone had some suggestions to lend me to brainstorm a good, yet reasonably cost-effective HQ to toss into the list out of him.

here's the guy:

10352287_10153013711786224_5070419362012

so as you can see, i have an entire arm there to come up with, so i'm open to several suggestions on what's some good choices for this guy.

Can you magnatise? If so I'd swap bolt pistol and grav for cheapness, grav is nice for a force axe before you charge in, then at least you and the mc can swing at the same time giving you a chance of killing it. Is that a terminator? If so the pointy hand might be the way to go, you can magnatise a storm shield into the back of it and stick a holster on his hip to signify what ever pistol you want at the time.

Bolt Pistol, reading a book, using the missile launcher hand from the tactical kit would work to finish off the model.

Other than that, what are your plans for him?

i haven't really decided, honestly.  i just need a couple HQ choices to swap between  when the list needs it, and besides a priest and a chaplain, i figured i should have a librarian as well.  i also have a librarian dreadnought already, so this is gonna be my psyker when i dont want a 175pt HQ that's on its own.

I'm cheap when it comes to librarians. ML2, bolt pistol, force weapon. A jump pack if i run him with jumpers, or on foot if not. Comes around 90-100ish points and won't win me games alone, but that's not his role for me. I use him mainly for defense (my usual opponents are Thousand Sons, Tzeentch daemons, Tyranids) or to buff his squad. 

If i want a powerhouse there's Mephiston, no need to come up with something strange.

As for the model, i like the witchy route, open hand pointing, as if casting spells. Rather than the old missile launcher one i'd use a spare Sanguinary guard hand, is a little more natural and detailed. 

I have this model as well and I think it's great. The Axe looks nice but he came with a Staff, and I tend to prefer those now on our PA Librarians; in either case the Axe is still good you just won't take advantage of our Initiative bonus and one of the possible warlord traits.

The Death Company box has lots of nicely ornate left hand pistol arms, and some appropriate shoulder pads as well. Whatever you do you'll likely have to pin the arm in place.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea; I think I have a couple of those hands left over after I had sold my first angel army back in 5th.

I think I might stay cheap and keep him something along those lines too.

To expand out a little, what would you guys suggest on a chaplain? I have the one that's got a power fist and crozius, with the crozius converted to have a double headed sang guard axe head instead of the crozius head. But my bits box also has the plasma pistol gauntlet and crozius arm from the dark vengeance chaplain. The power fist seems unnecessary so I'm wondering if I should swap his arms out. Thoughts?

Hmm, that's not a bad idea; I think I have a couple of those hands left over after I had sold my first angel army back in 5th.

I think I might stay cheap and keep him something along those lines too.

To expand out a little, what would you guys suggest on a chaplain? I have the one that's got a power fist and crozius, with the crozius converted to have a double headed sang guard axe head instead of the crozius head. But my bits box also has the plasma pistol gauntlet and crozius arm from the dark vengeance chaplain. The power fist seems unnecessary so I'm wondering if I should swap his arms out. Thoughts?

Yeah I'd give him a crozius again if possible - it's too hard to discount 'free' from a rules standpoint (and also because you already have the bit hah). The powerfist is a waste on him, and you can give him meltabombs if you really want him to kill big armour.  I go with standard bolt pistols and on my HQ but plasma is nice too.

Archived