New player looking for advice

Wildblaze

Hey everyone, long time watcher in the dark who's finally decided to play his first game here. I've been collecting Dark Angels since about mid 4th edition when i fell in love with the fluff and look, and figured it was about time to officially join the ranks of the unforgiven and actually play my first game of 40k tongue.png

Joined an escalation league, 500 points, a month and was hoping to find some advice on my lists. The first month is pretty simple, a Level 2 Librarian with an auspex, melta bombs and a powerfield generator. A 5 man Tactical squad with a Plasma Gun and a Razorback with Assault Cannons, a Storm Bolter and a Dozerblade. A 5 man Scout squad with Snipers and Camo Cloaks. And a Predator with Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons and a Stormbolter.

We get extra points for completing bonus objectives such as slay the warlord and Linebreaker with our warlord. so the Idea with my list is that the scouts and predator will stay near an objective at the back taking potshots, while the tacticals and the libarian will stay near the razorback for the 4+ invul, the librarian will hopefully keep prescience on Razorback or the predator and then push into the back line around turn 4. Does this seem like an ok battle plan?

The League so far consists of mostly power armour, about a 2-1 ratio to non power armour, I was highly surprised to see that there were 2 other Dark Angels players. My idea was to bring in some Ravenwing in Month 2, probably upgrade the Librarian to a Bike Librarian, and bring in some Black Knights and a Nephilim. Month 3 i wanted to bring in some Deathwing, but i'm not sure what to bring yet and so thats probably where i need the advice. I really like Deathwing Knights so I'd like to bring some of them, but not sure what to do with the rest of the points. I was thinking of an Interrorgator Chaplain in Terminator Armour with the Mace of Redemption and was wondering how this loadout works for other players.

Also looking for some advice on my some to be painting (which will no doubt be absolutely awful). Getting what I've built sprayed tomorrow and start painting on Saturday. Please feel free to be as brutally honest as possible or how else will i learn rolleyes.gif . Looking forward to making some friends and hopefully winning some games for the Sons of The Lion. Thanks in advance for any help you can give biggrin.png

As has already been mentioned, your list/idea sounds good. And the interrogator chaplain is my go to HQ when not running Belial or Sammy! In TDA or on a bike, he may not be regarded as the best option, but he gets the job done on most occasions.

When you start painting.  Especially if using GW paints.  Thin them with water or an acrylic medium until they are the consistancy of milk.  Dont get frustrated if you then need to make a couple coats to cover your model, you are still putting on less paint (and obscuring less detail) than if you are using the paint out of the pot/dropper.

Scrape your mold lines off the mini.  It makes a huge difference in the look of the mini.  Dont panic if you miss one tho, I still do sometimes.

You going traditional or are you doing a successor?   Waits for pictures.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice so far. Doing traditional Dark Angels for the moment but i've been looking at doing some Angels of Absolution with Astral Claws chapter tactics at some point in the future so i might look at painting some of them up for month 2 or 3.

Hoping to have some pictures tomorrow if i can get everything prepped for painting tomorrow.

Hi Friend,

Most of the other brothers advice is spot on. The best piece of advice I can give for getting into 40k is this:

If you are not playing to win, always play units that feel fun to you. Just because your list may not win every game, if you and your opponent both have fun, you have won.

In regards to units and list building, there are a few builds that are tried and true, you can find many examples of these through the search function and the army lists section. A few key pieces that you may want to look at that make us unique are the Banner of Devastation, Black Knights, and DW Knights. You mentioned the 2nd two, but not the first one. The banner is an amazing tool in the right list, and painting and/or customizing one is a lot of fun.

The other thing go think about is this:

You cannot take an army list and make a plan of battle, you need to maintain flexibility starting in deployment, through the last turn. Also, Space Marines are not the most mobile army. Planning on hauling ass 24"-36" in two turns probably won't happen. Ideally you will be moving towards final goals early on, and lining up your rock to your opponents scissors as much as possible. Different units have different strengths and weaknesses.

I hope this advice is worth while.

Best,

Paul

If you are new to the game and to DA then you can't go wrong with A copy of Dark Vengeance After that the DV DA expansion box is a good choice especially as you already plan to get all of the models in it.

Hey Guys, unfortunately non of my models got sprayed today thanks to having to spend hours looking for my scouts that went missing and spending far more time than I'd intended on my sergeant (around 4 hours rolleyes.gif ) so hopefully things will be sprayed in the morning.

Most of my models are straight out of Dark Vengeance, but i put a lot of time into my sergeant so i hope he looks ok. what do you guys think? and sorry for the somewhat low quality pictures, about the best i could do at 2am and my mobile phone laugh.png

Photo 08 02 2015 01 20 22

Photo 08 02 2015 01 25 39

Thanks for all the help and advice so far, I've got my first and second game on the 14th so I'm hoping i can get this at least mostly finished before then. and I'll see what i can do to get some better quality pictures.

And I'll try and keep an open mind in regards to my strategy, though this will be my first game so I'm not sure what kind of opportunities i should be looking out for. I'll read over some of the battle reports on the site and try and get a few ideas. My first games are against Chaos Space Marines and Dark Eldar so I'll focus on battle reports featuring those armies.

Welcome to Dark Angels!  I am new too and I am using a lot of DV stuff.  I still haven't gotten to play my first game but I am enjoying the building and painting.

I like what you did with the sargeant, where did you get the arm with the pointing finger?  I've hacked one of my DV tac marines and gave him a plasma pistol and chain sword to make him a regular sargeant for a devastator squad.  Keep up the great work!  I am looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

Good luck on your first game.  You should let us know how it goes.  It should be interesting to see what you can do with your list. 

~ Epher

Sorry for the late reply. Had no internet for a while. I'm not sure which box it came from in particular but it was likely the devastators box or the new tactical box. It might have come from the sternguard box but I don't know if there is one in there.

I'll post how I do in the 2 games here. I've got dark elder in the morning and chaos space marines in the afternoon. Don't mind if I win or lose, just looking forward to getting some experience with the game and hopefully have a good time.

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates this past week, been pretty hectic, and just to top it off i got laid off with immediate effect thanks to budget cuts (At least on the plus side that means more time to work on my Dark Angel's :P

The 2 Games went better than i thought they would. Game against Dark Eldar was a bit of a slaughter, completely wiped them out and lost only 2 scouts and 2 tacticals in the process.

The Game against Chaos Space Marines was much Closer. Started off pretty slow with our predators taking potshots at each other from across the map while my Razorback with my Librarian and Tacticals pushed up. My Scouts and his Warlord Terminator Sorcerer of Nurgle and Chaos Space plague marines were just hiding behind cover so we never really did much to each other.

In Turn 4 he finally got first blood by taking out my Razorback with sheer weight of fire. And His Helbrute with Multi-melta was pushing up the side towards my Predator. My Librarian and his tactical squad pushed back to my line and grouped up with my other forces to give them all an invul save.

My Invul Saves mostly held out against the punishing firepower thrown at them and a lucky scatter dice roll forced his plague winds away from my firebase taking out only 1 scout. This was after he suffered perals and lost a wound and his primaris. The Predators luck started to run out and it was immobilised and then dropped to 1 hull point. Luckily he decided to charge my predator with his Helbrute rather than use his Multimelta and it's invul save held out again.

Game went onto a turn 6 and i unleashed everything my predator had left against the helbrute and took it out with a penetrating hit from the Lascannon. My Scouts and Tacticals took potshots at his warlord and luckily managed to get it to 1 wound with the snipers and the bolters. And then got a lucky shot off with my Plasma gun to kill him and get Slay the warlord. Bringing the game to a Draw with the 1 objective we held each.

I thought that my Librarian could be my Rising Star for the campaign (apparently a common mistake since everyone else made the same mistake) but it had to be a character without the independent character rule, so i went with my tactical squad. Thanks to Getting Slay the Warlord with the tacticals he got to roll on a table to get some bonuses for the campaign. Rolled Pick any Special Rule from the Base Rulebook. Was thinking Preferred Enemy. Does this sound like a good Idea?

Hoping to be more active not that I've got a lot of spare time, but for now,its off to a wedding ^_^

That SGT looks fantastic, I can hardly recognize him form the DV kit.

Glad to hear your first games went well, that game against the Dark Eldar sounds like a bit of a walkover but at least you had a nice tight game for the second one. I love escalation challenges they're fantastic for getting a lot of new stuff done. I think preferred enemy could work well.

Looking forward to seeing how the paining goes when you got some free time :)

Archived