CC Death Company Wargear Choice

David Ravel

Greetings. Just to start a thread on the 7th Ed. choice we should make for our CC DC with (or without if you are fancy) Jumppack. 

Personnally I tried to either run barebone with a character and/or a Thunder Hammer. But I find the lack of Ap quite sad. Yet at the same time, Power Weapons are so highly costed on guys with T4 3+ that I'm not sure I want to invest more. 

Would you run a gang with 2 TH ? 1 TH and 2 PW (I was thinking especially of Power Maul to hit at S7 on the charge) ? Or lots of smaller gang of 5 with either 1 PW or 1 TH ? 

I don't like running lots of smaller gang because it's more difficult to move them all in efficient formation in order to get everyone to charge. Also it's easier to kill the PW/TH. 

Because with the new reanimation protocol (and I have 2 necron player in my gaming group of 10 players), the Power Maul is very nice against warrior since we will not win as much CC as we used to since it gives them an extra invulnerable save we can't do anything about. Also I have alot of difficulty winning CC against orks when they mass them with armors 4+. It doesn't help against marines, but anyway people don't run blobs of marine so a team of 10 DC with a character and/or a TH/PW can shred through them on the charge anyway. Also the Power Maul, charge or not, is great against MC (I have a demon player in my Gaming Group) since they all have 6+T. 

General discussion on the subject ! 

I run 5 with a TH and jump packs. Their role in my army is more supportive, they tend to find themselves acting as speed-bumps for wraithknights so the TH ensures they take a few wounds off.

In a more central role, 8 or more with a power sword, TH and fist.

Theres not much out there that can take a S9 hit and not die, but I suppose the meta has a lot more MC so thats not as true as it once was.

Chaplain, Wing, Veritas

10 DC, Jump Packs, 3fists

Do you deep strike these guys then? That sounds pretty nifty! 

As I'm sure many others do, I feel a need for things to be "symmetrical" and for numbers to be neat and tidy.  It's a frustrating problem at times, but it does tend to create sensible armies.

For Death Company, I feel that the weight of attacks will only carry them so far without being able to go through armour.  The risk of running into something really big and nasty also means you need to be carrying a power fist or thunder hammer.  My ideal unit "pyramids" the different weapon options:

1 thunder hammer

2 power weapons

4 regular weapons

You're looking at 221 points for that unit with jump packs, but it will go through pretty much anything it bumps into.

I came up with the 1 in 3 ratio based on pre combat losses,

Worst case scenario, 3 die to shooting, 3 attack basic, three die in CC, three fists attack.

I think swords kill as many MEQs as fists and do it first for less points, but if you want to kill that tank, you need fists and hammers.

Advantages are an axe is cheaper and gets more attacks!

In smaller squads, an axe may take the place of a fist, but when running 10, the danger an opponent will throw a dread or wraith thing into them is too high, so they need the fists.

Is no one into power axes? Really? 5 meaty ap2 blast to the face on the charge, per 15 pt investment. God help them if you have a chap or Astaroth added to them.

For me the problem with power axes is someone with far more talent than I have painted my DC at the time when axe and sword were identical.  So they all have swords. And I don't want to remodel what are probably my best painted models, so no axes.

Advantages are an axe is cheaper and gets more attacks!

In smaller squads, an axe may take the place of a fist, but when running 10, the danger an opponent will throw a dread or wraith thing into them is too high, so they need the fists.

That's why I run a pair of them in 8-10 man squads with a TH too.

Archived