Space Wolf Allies

Charlo

Has anyone used them effectively?

I've been considering some just for fluff purposes as Blood Claws match how I'd have my Neophytes battle, as well as Lone Wolve's being super cool and something I'd like in the army!

Even just a detachment of a cheap HQ, two squads of Blood claws and some Lone Wolves could add some nice objective securing and disruption to the enemy. Or as a tasty lump of bodies in alpha strike/ second wave.

I'd then use the main BA force as the hammer to this Anvil loading up on the elite units from our dex, just need to get around the troop tax or use formations.

Anyone had any luck?

Edit: Plus their flyers. Oh man I want them!

I am thinking of doing a whole bunch of allied detachments next to my angels both for hobby and tabletop. I was thinking of doing a successor like wolf chapter (even though there supposed to be none) because I don't really like hairy, helmetless, blue grey marines in general. But they still look fun.

I am thinking of doing a whole bunch of allied detachments next to my angels both for hobby and tabletop. I was thinking of doing a successor like wolf chapter (even though there supposed to be none) because I don't really like hairy, helmetless, blue grey marines in general. But they still look fun.

Just have them as a named little force, easily be part of a great company biggrin.png

Get Murderfang and have him ride into battle on a Stormraven. This guy is an absolute blender and the Stormraven covers the problem of getting him to the enemy without him getting shot up on the way.

Yeah I'm just looking at his rules... Wow. Everything I want a Death Company Dread to be!

Edit: With the Blood Claws my lore reasoning is basically that instead of a scout company my chapter just gives them power armour early in an effort to train them harder. They then are encouraged to run headlong into combat as to then try and master the rage in their hearts and control it. The armour would be painted black without any of the red details I have. Then, once they have gained the amount of skill needed to be a battle brother (WS/BS 4) they would become "Bloodied" and thus gain the red parts of the armour.

Edit: With the Blood Claws my lore reasoning is basically that instead of a scout company my chapter just gives them power armour early in an effort to train them harder. They then are encouraged to run headlong into combat as to then try and master the rage in their hearts and control it. The armour would be painted black without any of the red details I have. Then, once they have gained the amount of skill needed to be a battle brother (WS/BS 4) they would become "Bloodied" and thus gain the red parts of the armour.

Interesting. One of the reasons why the BA "rookies" don't run around in power armour is that they have not received the Black Carapace yet. This brain-machine interface is what sets astartes power armour apart from other power armour. Space Wolves do the whole implantation process in one go so even blood claws are full space marines. The lower WS/BS on your "rookies" might be due to the missing interface as well as less experience.

I also thought about (counts as) space wolves as allies. Thunder Wolf Cavalry seems a particularly effective unit. Do you have any ideas how to avoid using hairy helmetless dudes on oversized dogs? Jetbikes? ATVs? Anything else?

Well for my biker units I've been looking into using Tomb King chariots, they are pretty cheap and a good size for a single marine I think. I'll probably have them pulled by a single small grav engine or the like (similar to a pod racer). If not for bikes I could use these for TWC. Fantasy has a lot of cool beasty miniatures but I'm trying to think of something that fits the greeky sparatany influence of my chapter

Well for my biker units I've been looking into using Tomb King chariots, they are pretty cheap and a good size for a single marine I think. I'll probably have them pulled by a single small grav engine or the like (similar to a pod racer). If not for bikes I could use these for TWC. Fantasy has a lot of cool beasty miniatures but I'm trying to think of something that fits the greeky sparatany influence of my chapter

You need bulls mate.

As in male cows go moo? To pull the chariots and be cavalry? That does sound pretty awesome...

Edit: It's a shame the Beastmen GW range offers nothing good sad.png

Edit 2: I suppose you could always de-chaos some bloodcrushers...

If you want a greek theme, accept no substitutes. Bulls are big nasty mofos and you can actually justify your hammer of wrath attacks!

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/020/1/a/dvgsptz_by_madnessabe-d8eraie.jpg

As in male cows go moo? To pull the chariots and be cavalry? That does sound pretty awesome...

Edit: It's a shame the Beastmen GW range offers nothing good sad.png

Edit 2: I suppose you could always de-chaos some bloodcrushers...

If you want a greek theme, accept no substitutes. Bulls are big nasty mofos and you can actually justify your hammer of wrath attacks!

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/020/1/a/dvgsptz_by_madnessabe-d8eraie.jpg

I am honestly a bit in love with the idea... Plus the fluff opportunities are great. Damnit now I need to have SW allies to justify this D: Or count them as bikes

The pod racer or a chariot with animals pulling it is not my style. To avoid confusion I'd rather not use bikes for the TWC, but otherwise that would be my first choice (with the appropriate base of course).

I also thought about (counts as) space wolves as allies. Thunder Wolf Cavalry seems a particularly effective unit. Do you have any ideas how to avoid using hairy helmetless dudes on oversized dogs? Jetbikes? ATVs? Anything else?

I would use  an attack bike with the passenger kitted out for CC. Clear modelling that fits the Marine aesthetic and justifies the speed, 2 wounds and boosted combat stats.

After looking on and off for an evening I have finally found something that fits the Bull Theme... what do you brothers think of this guy:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/files/cache/41f0c1358a40aceef6719ec979d2245b_f6963.png

Could end up a little small, and If not I still might be better off using Blood Juggernauts but with the GW Minotaur heads for some organic bits?

Interesting. One of the reasons why the BA "rookies" don't run around in power armour is that they have not received the Black Carapace yet. This brain-machine interface is what sets astartes power armour apart from other power armour. Space Wolves do the whole implantation process in one go so even blood claws are full space marines. The lower WS/BS on your "rookies" might be due to the missing interface as well as less experience.

You could do Blood Angels riding Fire Scorpions (from Baal Secundus). That would be pretty awesome, and you could say that -after the Third founding- your Chapter took a large group of Fire Scorpions onto their ship and took them to the world they live on which has wastelands in abundance for the Fire Scorpions to thrive on. After that, the Scorpions are caught and ridden and make the closest of companions - the Scorpion is Marine's best friend.

You could do Blood Angels riding Fire Scorpions (from Baal Secundus). That would be pretty awesome, and you could say that -after the Third founding- your Chapter took a large group of Fire Scorpions onto their ship and took them to the world they live on which has wastelands in abundance for the Fire Scorpions to thrive on. After that, the Scorpions are caught and ridden and make the closest of companions - the Scorpion is Marine's best friend.

Awesome idea! Could look great too. I am somewhat enthralled with the Bulls though, I'm even looking into maybe a Minotaur like concept? Imagine a marine charging down an enemy on the back of a Minotaur. They kill the filthy Xenos then Brofist into the sunset...

Sparking up again, would there be much merit in using a Champions of Fenris allied detachment? I haven't seen much of the book but do thier wolf guard get some nice stuff we don't? I imagine taking a HQ, some WG and some Flyers would be a nice addition to us.

Edit: I'm probably not being very clear; basically would there be any tactical advantage over just spending the points in our own codex - being predominantly a combat army too do they offer us much other than TWC and a possibly killier HQ that isn't Dante? Oh and Dreads with 3++ (I think?)

I would not take an allied detachment from Champions of Fenris but a Company of the Great Wolf if you want Wolf Guard (TDA). The detachment only requires 1 HQ and 2 Elites (which wolf guard are anyways). Instead of ObSec for the troops, WG, WGTDA and TWC get +1 WS devil.gif

I would not take an allied detachment from Champions of Fenris but a Company of the Great Wolf if you want Wolf Guard (TDA). The detachment only requires 1 HQ and 2 Elites (which wolf guard are anyways). Instead of ObSec for the troops, WG, WGTDA and TWC get +1 WS devil.gif

Yeah I think that is what I meant then! Silly me tongue.png What role do you see them bringing to a BA Force? Other than I guess just adding to our stellar combat potential!

Since BAs and SWs share so many of the same strengths, it is hard to see what they bring that we do not.

Thunderwolves are great of course but fit just fine in a SW list, they don't really need BA help. Adding a SP on a bike to a TWC deathstar gives it FNP but kinda feels like overkill.

+1WS is probably a better bonus for Terminators with I1 weapons than FC or RT.

Giving Murderfang a ride on a StormRaven would be awesome but that is just one unit. Overall I don't see a huge synergy between BAs and SWs as they are strong in the same areas already.

Archived