Defenders of Cathedrum

Charlo

Was flicking through Exterminatus and found this particular force. Quite an interesting concept, basically it comprises of:

Terminator Squad

Death Company Squad

2 Tac Squads

1 RAS

1 Furioso

No restrictions on how you build the units and they all get Stubborn and Counter-Attack.

Do you brothers think it would make for an effective drop force? While possibly expensive - you could load out all the squads to maximum with full options of special weapons and a CCW on the sergeants. Drop down, spray everything and not care if you get charged? 

A couple of questions though:

Do these guys benefit from the Flesh Tearers strike force rules? I'm guessing they don't but it's in the same bit of the book so I'm a little confused.

To get HQ Choices I suppose I would need to then take this formation in addition to a normal force org chart?

Do these guys benefit from the Flesh Tearers strike force rules? I'm guessing they don't but it's in the same bit of the book so I'm a little confused.

No, because it's not a Flesh Tearers Strike Force Detachment, it's a Defenders of the Cathedrum Formation.

To get HQ Choices I suppose I would need to then take this formation in addition to a normal force org chart?

You don't have to. You can go Unbound and just take an HQ. Unlike ordinary Detachments, Formations keep their special rules when taken in Unbound armies. The HQ won't have any Detachment/Formation rules, but you can still take it.

The formation comes dangerously close to "why not just play Space Wolves?" territory, since they'd do this type of strategy a lot better.

To be fair I also own a Space Wolf army, so that probably played a big role in this thought process.

That said, I can totally understand if the answer is "I don't want to play Space Wolves".

I'd probably do this list with five Drop Pods (2 Tacts, 1 DC, 1 Dread, 1 RAS);

Tacts will be 5-man Meltagun + Combi-melta.

RAS will be 5-man Combi-melta (or double Infernus, but I find that horrible melta range to be a detractor) + 2 Meltaguns.

Furioso will be a Fragioso.

DC will be 2 Fists and nothing else (possibly 10 men). 

10 TH + SS Terminators with a Jump Pack Sanguinary Priest attached.

The three initial pods will have Locator Beacons on them so the Terminators don't scatter.

It's not bad I reckon, but I *really* dislike taking Tacts that don't fill Troop slots :/

It's not bad I reckon, but I *really* dislike taking Tacts that don't fill Troop slots :/

Yeah I can agree on that - and the space wolves thing - It's a shame they can't get some sort of initiative bonus too/ instead of the extra attack from being charged, that would be quite unique.

Archived