Double heavy flamer on fury/DC dread?

Blood & Thunder

Greetings brothers, as I have been perusing around many of the new posts concerning 7th edition rules I have noticed people mentioning double flamer furioso/DC dreadnoughts. just thought I would ask for my brothers wisdom on the subject as I saw on the rules that a fury/DC may replace one of his arm attatchments With a heavy flamer.

Anyway, happy fact checking

Why would you skip out on the option to instagib all MEE and TEQ for another S5 template anyway? Anyrhing the HF will gib, a melee dreadnought will own in assault, and a Fragrioso will deal with better at range. Go with a Frag Cannon or Meltagun whenever you can, imo.

Because there're probably only 2 or 3 models in the enemy army who have more than 1 wound anyway? And then you've got to think about look out sir. Heavy flamer gets more hits per shot, more potential killiness.

I would probably never trade away a chance to pop a transport or tank target of opportunity for more killiness against infantry that can't possibly threaten me (and I can decimate in melee anyway).  That's the reason why I never take the HF on a Fragrioso either.

I never play without my Frag/flame Furioso in a pod.

My aim is usually to drop down behind an open topped vehicle (I play against a fair amount of Orks and DE).

If I get lucky it pops the vehicle and I can toast the guys that fall out, but even if it doesnt destroy the vehicle, I stand a good chance of killing the guys inside with the No Escape rule.

Why would you skip out on the option to instagib all MEE and TEQ for another S5 template anyway? Anyrhing the HF will gib, a melee dreadnought will own in assault, and a Fragrioso will deal with better at range. Go with a Frag Cannon or Meltagun whenever you can, imo.

As the dreads attacks will instagib MEE and TEQ anyway?

A dreads weakness is being tarpitted by hordes, which a flamer deals with quite nicely.

I also find that a single meltagun is unreliable. When you could get another S8AP2 shot from the grapple, it was good, but an AP- template and single S8 shot don't cut it for me. Scouts, pathfinders etc still get their 4+ save against the frag cannon. The flamer makes them toast.

I would probably never trade away a chance to pop a transport or tank target of opportunity for more killiness against infantry that can't possibly threaten me (and I can decimate in melee anyway).  That's the reason why I never take the HF on a Fragrioso either.

Even when it's not a particularly great chance? The melta needs a 3+ to hit, then a 5+ on the damage dice, assuming it always penetrates, so a less than 2 in 9 chance to kill a tank? Poor odds, considering the flamer auto hits and kills GEQ on a 2+.

Letting me flip your statement round, If you paid the points to arm a dread with the anti infantry frag cannon, why would you trade away the chance to waste the paid for upgrade by shooting a tank?

As the dreads attacks will instagib MEE and TEQ anyway?

A dreads weakness is being tarpitted by hordes, which a flamer deals with quite nicely.

I also find that a single meltagun is unreliable. When you could get another S8AP2 shot from the grapple, it was good, but an AP- template and single S8 shot don't cut it for me. Scouts, pathfinders etc still get their 4+ save against the frag cannon. The flamer makes them toast.

Even when it's not a particularly great chance? The melta needs a 3+ to hit, then a 5+ on the damage dice, assuming it always penetrates, so a less than 2 in 9 chance to kill a tank? Poor odds, considering the flamer auto hits and kills GEQ on a 2+.

Letting me flip your statement round, If you paid the points to arm a dread with the anti infantry frag cannon, why would you trade away the chance to waste the paid for upgrade by shooting a tank?

Because an S6 shredding template weapon is hardly just anti infantry; when I kit a Furioso out it's to cause pain to things that my opponent views resilient; i.e. his MEQ/TEQ/AV12-13.  Just about ANYTHING in the BA army can kill GEQ.  A lowly Tactical Squad can probably wipe a GEQ squad on the charge, not to mention that I could load it out with MORE templates than the Furioso itself, which begs the question, why the hell are you loading up on templates for your furioso when you can actually take 4 of them on a Tactical Squad?

My fury exists to be annoying.

The way to do that is to frag secondary targets, those 5 man dev squads in the back field.

He drops, nukes your main at unit, and suddenly you have an AV13 unit and no plan.

A tac squad can flame better, but the tac squad is only a threat to infantry and its a lot easier to counter

Archived