NOTICE: Upcoming B&C-wide Event: Augustus' Arena

NOTICE!!

This Saturday, February 14th 2015, a new Bolter and Chainsword wide event will start:

gallery_29004_10383_137671.jpg

The event has two main goals:

• To strengthen bonds of friendship and cooperation between Frater, and;
  • To complete awesome miniatures, painted and based to the best of the Frater’s abilities.

Frater will be given the opportunity to challenge and be challenged by other Frater to complete a unit before a chosen deadline. A challenger can be challenged, but not by the Frater he/she has challenged. Any one Organization Chart Unit can be accepted as a challenge.

Both challengers and the challenged take on responsibilities: The challenged set their own completion deadline and post updates of their progress, while the challengers act as coaches, providing feedback and motivation to those they have challenged.

And of course there are awesome banners (and medallions) to be earned, awarded, and yes, suffered.

Detailed rules, conditions, and FAQs will be published in the Event Thread, which will be published sometime around noon CET on Saturday, February 14th. The Event Thread will be pinned in the Forge.

So start thinking about whom you wish to challenge and what you would like to paint!

Here's the participation banners, and some Frequently Asked Questions to clarify things.

FAQ

Interesting, so it's Fraters saying, "I Challenge you to paint _____" and the Challenged Frater saying, "okay I'll do it by _____ Date."

Is that the gist?

Yes, that is the general gist! Make sure that the Frater you're challenging WANTS to paint that model. This'll make his/her life easier, and your job as his/her coach too. It's supposed to be a fun project for all! thumbsup.gif

Chaplains don't have to accept challenges, woohoo!

Actually, no-one has to accept challenges. There won't even be a penalty for doing so. In fact, you can alter a challenge in your acceptance statement, saying "I accept the challenge, and will finish XXXX unit before YYYY date.

Would it help if willing challengees posted a list of what minis they have on their 'to do' pile?

That's an option, but that would probably clot the the thread. Better ask yourself "who would I like to challenge" and then contact the Frater beforehand - to make sure he/she wants to embark on the challenge. The aim is, after all, also to strengthen bonds between Frater.

If I can get some fancy banner then, by all means, I'm up for it!

YES YOU CAN! And here they are. You can put this banner in your signature to signal to others you're open to being challenged. Make sure the hyperlink in them still works.

There's a chaos version:

gallery_29004_10383_29143.jpg

And of course an Imperial one.

gallery_29004_10383_41669.jpg

Hmm, this sounds interesting.

Is it okay to leave yet more questions and feedback here? Because there's one thing I'd like to point out:

It seems to me that limiting this to units (as in "Codex selections") seems needlessly restrictive. For instance, I've often seen half-finished squads in fellow hobbyists' blogs that I would love to see finished. I think everyone has one unfinished squad (or ten) that they cannot seem to put the finishing touches on. Now wouldn't it be fun to include projects like these as well (as in "I challenge you to finally get your act together and paint the last three models you need for the squad to be playable!"). Stuff like that always tends to fall by the wayside in almost every painting/modeling event, because the Call of Chaos and ETL are always about entire squads or units, but never about finishing those last three stragglers.

So, if this event is mainly focused on strengthening the bonds between board members anyway, and not so much on points values, why not include stuff like that? There's nothing as conductive to morale as helping each other to finally finish all that old baggage, after all.

So, if this event is mainly focused on strengthening the bonds between board members anyway, and not so much on points values, why not include stuff like that? There's nothing as conductive to morale as helping each other to finally finish all that old baggage, after all.

This is an excellent comment and the reason I wanted to put up this teaser - so I can fine-tune any unclarities. You've hit the bulls eye with this question/comment.

I wrote Force Organization Chart units, but they don't have to be legal. If you want to make a plague marine squad of four veterans sans Aspiring Champion, one of which is carrying a Heavy Bolter, then totally go for it.

This challenge is about:

1. the interaction between challenger and challenged, and;
  2. about finishing the models you want with help from your challenger.

So it's totally fine to challenge someone to finish a squad or to finally do those highlights on a vehicle, as long as it's an actual challenge to the challenged, and there's at least a before, a WIP, and a completion picture posted in the thread. thumbsup.gif

Archived