flesh tearers formation

DominicJ

The FT formation is pretty cool from a narrative standpoint, and I generally play fluffy / themed games over competative games.

Fluff aside, I like the BSF trait alot more.

If I wanted more fast attack slots, I'd just take another allied formation.

This is pretty much it. Sadly the rage isn't all that great as you wont roll it very much, even if you use your Jump Pack in the assault phase.

Regarding FT though, the Blood Rain Strike Force from White Dwarf seems like it could be quite an effective formation:

1 Storm Raven

1 Furioso

1 DC Squad

1 Assault Squad

1 Vanguard Squad

All have to be embarked in the SR or have Jump Packs and are held in reserve. They all come from reserve at the Same time on a single roll.

Those that assault from the SR get rage and to re-roll charge distance while the deep strikers get counter attack and fearless so that they won't run when they get shot or flinch when they get assaulted.

Personally I'd use this and put a big RAS in the Raven and use their free Pod for something else in the army, it'll also get the most bang out of the "weakest" unit turning them into a pseudo DC - maybe include a flighty character here, does he get rage too?

The DC themselves should be a decently tooled unit and take a of of fire with FNP and they still get about 4 attacks each with counter attack!

The Vanguard will work wonders as a small unit with a storm shields and a couple of other weapons to add some bite. OR you can put them on the raven and make best use of their heroic intervention to get both Rage and Furious charge on what would be normally disordered charges!

Finally have you ever seen a Dread with Rage charge something? It's Beautiful. Especially when it has WS5.

One thing to consider is that if you combine this with Dante I think they might benefit from descent? But I am not sure.

Personally I'd use this and put a big RAS in the Raven and use their free Pod for something else in the army, it'll also get the most bang out of the "weakest" unit turning them into a pseudo DC - maybe include a flighty character here, does he get rage too?

just remember, matey - other units wont be able to embark on that pod, as it is a dedicated transport for the ASM.  It's coming down with them, or its coming down empty.

just remember, matey - other units wont be able to embark on that pod, as it is a dedicated transport for the ASM.  It's coming down with them, or its coming down empty.

Wasn't sure on the rules for that! I thought battle brothers could embark on transports from the same army. But I am guessing embarking mid game =/= starting inside the Pod...

I think the FT Strikeforce is great, and I prefer it to the Baal Strikeforce.  It’s strength is purely in the ratio of troop to fast attack coupled by the fact that in the new codex a 5 man assault squad with drop pod, and 3 melta shots is very efficient at 115 points.  I typically run 3-4 melta squads, 1-2 flamer squads and a grav bike squad all for under 850 points, the quantities of each can obviously be mixed and matched.  This gives a solid base for any list, and builds on an overwhelming threat saturation as its focus. When you're using a list that allows for a lot of deep strike with that much special weapon saturation you gain a lot punching power and tactical flexibility.  Couple this base with a few other hard hitting difficult to ignore units for full effect, I have been play testing with VV, Sanguinary Guard, and Dante and it can be pretty brutal. The odd roll 10+ gain Rage on the charge is a fluffy and fun mechanic.  I find it strange that it gets so much attention when the formation is mentioned, random Rage-charging is not the reason for this formation, it’s the maxed out Fast Attack choices with minimal troop tax.

I'm not sure this is a top tier build but it can make for some mean lists, and as a FT player I couldn't be happier.

I'll continue to test the formation, and the list I've been experimenting with is here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/302572-1850-flesh-tearers-strikeforce/

Archived