Can Vanilla Marines take Divination?

Gree

There is a player at my local club that claims that GW the rules to allow Vanilla Marines to take Divination. I believe he cites the fact that the 7th Edition Psychic cards list Space Marines as one of the factions available to take the discipline, or at least that is what he showed me.

The latest FAQ makes no mention of this, and I believe that what he is referencing instead refers to Tigurius's ability to select Divination. He does not believe this interpretation. I have not bothered to press the issue, as it is not a tournament or a competitive game. I am curious to what the community here says on the matter.

I've heard this "proof" before. Sadly, it is only on the cards because Tigurius has access to it. The rest, as per the Codex, do not.

That's what I thought.

I tried telling him, but I don't think he believes me. I don't think he'll change his mind even if I press the issue, and I don't want to cause some sort of big argument.

Yes, they can. Via Tiggy, of course.

In case it ever comes up, don't forget that Imperial Guard can take Telepathy, too. They get it via the Astropath. But just because one specific model get access to a psychic discipline in no way means suddenly every psyker in the book gets access to it. Only the Asropath gets a shot a Invisibility for C:AM; just like only Tigurius can use Prescience for Space Marines.

Cause the issue now, or he'll cause a bigger issue later and lose more face when more people call him out on it...

I'm not doing anything that might get me kicked out of the store. It's my sole outlet for 40k. I'm not going to risk that. I have tried everything short of crossing the line into rudeness, he is not willing to change his stance, and the rest of the gaming group is rather mild and low-key.

If he wants to play me and tries to do it I would take issue with it, but otherwise I can't force him to stop doing it with other people. Otherwise I would probably come across as the aggressive jerk. In this situation it essentially boils down to my word against his.

Well, ask him to show you in his Codex. Codex trumps BRB after all.

Already pointed out the Codex. He seems to have believed they changed it. It's not the first time I've tried to point it out either.

Already pointed out the Codex. He seems to have believed they changed it. It's not the first time I've tried to point it out either.

Then ask him to show you the change. Unless he produces it the rules are as written, which is Divination for Tiggy only.

Then ask him to show you the change. Unless he produces it the rules are as written, which is Divination for Tiggy only.

Which is where the circle begins because this person believes the change is written in the psychic deck.

:facepalm smiley:

Errata>Codex>Rulebook. Nowhere does GW say that a republication of rules in a different format (playing cards) is allowed to change existing rules. That has about as much weight as me giving Mephiston a 10 in every stat.

Errata>Codex>Rulebook. Nowhere does GW say that a republication of rules in a different format (playing cards) is allowed to change existing rules. That has about as much weight as me giving Mephiston a 10 in every stat.

You are correct, but as I said, I've had no success of convincing him of that fact. He seems to believe the psychic cards are an errata and he cites the cards whenever I ask him to show me. The rest of my local group either believes his interpretation of the rules or doesn't care. I can't really enforce any rules except by simply refusing to play him.

Is it worth firing off an email to GW for confirmation?

Assuming I actually get a response from GW and he actually accepts it?

While it's irritating to me, I really don't play with him that often and I don't really feel like going to great lengths just to prove a single rule in a game of toy soldiers. So probably no.

People in my club think the same thing... they believe because it's on the cards that means Space Marines can take it, I've tried arguing the point but they refuse to listen. At least they can't complain when I use Divination on mine as well.

Clearly the guy is a complete twat!

It clearly states that he can take divination. Why would they put space Marines on the cards when only 1 psyker can take it? That would cause loads more confusion for people with normal librarians.

Tell him to simply look online and do some of his own research, and to see alllllllllllllll the people taking divination on him.... And allllll the batreps on YouTube.... So unless eeeeeeveryone is wrong, you're friend is just being 'that guy'.

• 2 weeks later...

Ask him if it's still legal for him to use Divination of he leaves his psychic cards at home, but brings his codex and BRB.

If that doesn't work, hold up the Quick Reference Card and ask him to show you where on said card it says that his Librarian has access to divination, since there are no rules printed on that card! If he points at the check marks, ask him to point out the definition of green check marks in the BRB. If he wants to be obtuse, be obtuse right back.

Archived