Allies Discussion

Charlo

Hey Brothers, not sure if this has been done before but I thought it would be good to have a central thread to discuss allies and what they each offer us. I already did a thread for Wolves that had some nice insight so I figured why not cover the rest!

I'll update this post as we go with quotes or tricks people post so we can have a sort of Bible to reference.

So here are the list of non-Xenos allies available to us:

Vanilla Marines

Space Wolves

Dark Angels

Grey Knights

Other Blood Angels

Astra Militarum

Tempests Scions

Inquisitorial Warbands

Imperial Knights

Sisters of Battle

Assassins

Adeptus Mechanicus (30k list)

I'll kick the discussion off with Dark Angels: what could they give us? Would it ever be with taking them?

Thoughts on them or any other Allies below.

Dark Angels were potentially worth it more in our last Codex as now, our points have been lowered to the same as theirs.

Ravenwing Black Knights offer excellent synergy with our Death Company due to stasis grenades.

Ravenwing can't use grav but can out bike and out Land Speeder us which can be very useful. Especially when in conjunction with Auspex.

There's talk on their board right now about combining Blind with stasis grenades which results in auto-hitting stuff in combat...

Their Librarians have access to Invisibility.

Their Librarian formation could be a nifty addition.

PFG shenanigans are always fun.

Deathwing Terminators aren't cheaper but are more flexible in their loadouts.

Deathwing Assault can be a nasty alpha strike.

Mortis Dreadnoughts and Contemptors.

The Imperial Knight is a very simple option and one that I think synergizes well with the Blood Angels. It is quite fast and provides some good supporting firepower. It may be in the featherweight division as far as super-heavy walkers go but its affordable price tag means that it is not too hard to get a good return on your points against most opponents.

Given our widespread access to melta weapons, I prefer the Paladin to the Errant. 2 Battle cannon shots per turn on a mobile platform can put a dent into plenty of targets. It can also keep up well with jump infantry and can even lend its impressive weight to assault at a pinch.

Probably best run on a flank to maximise the protection afforded by its Ion Shield.

The main downside it that as a LoW, it competes against Dante (who is often the go-to choice in this category).

The Imperial Knight is a very simple option and one that I think synergizes well with the Blood Angels. It is quite fast and provides some good supporting firepower. It may be in the featherweight division as far as super-heavy walkers go but its affordable price tag means that it is not too hard to get a good return on your points against most opponents.

Given our widespread access to melta weapons, I prefer the Paladin to the Errant. 2 Battle cannon shots per turn on a mobile platform can put a dent into plenty of targets. It can also keep up well with jump infantry and can even lend its impressive weight to assault at a pinch.

Probably best run on a flank to maximise the protection afforded by its Ion Shield.

The main downside it that as a LoW, it competes against Dante (who is often the go-to choice in this category).

The Knight is not a LOW.  It just takes an imperial Knight formation slot.

I am planning to use one in an army with Dante if I ever get to play again.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bringing this back with a question:

Say my main force is a Baal Strike force: mandatory HQ, 2 Toops and Elite.

I make the HQ my Warlord so this is the primary detachment.

Now say I was bringing allies from The Space Wolves Supplement: Champions of Fenris; can I use their special force org chart  of 1 HQ & 2 Elite for this additional force? Or am I forced into using the Allied detachment one of 1 HQ and 1 Toops?

Just a little unclear!

That is correct. A Battle-forged army consists of any number of Detachments and/or Formations. Allies may be any legal formation or detachment you wish.

The "Allied" detachment merely provides a cheap way (I.E only 2 mandatory units) to get include a different faction. You do not have to use the Allied detachment to take allies.

I've been looking at getting a small allied detachment for my Blood Angel Successor chapter.

I've been running them with an Imperial Knight for a few months, which I find to be a very fragile bullet magnet. I've got a second one coming to see if they work better in pairs.

However, until my second Imperial Knight arrives, I was thinking about getting an Inquisitorial detachment. I downloaded the Inquisition codex last night, but haven’t had a chance to read it yet.

Has anyone else played with a BA & =][= yet? Do they synergise well? Where should I start?

I would say they do, but a little less now than they used to.

• Servo Skulls are great and work well with our Blast weaponry and more importantly, reducing our Deep Strike by D6.
  • Rad Grenades (Ordo Xenos only) are always great and combined with our inherent FC we are wounding generic MEQ and TEQ on 2s.
  • With ML1 they are the cheapest "mana batteries" that we have access to. They also have access to Invisibility.
  • Corteaz is a bonus no matter who he fights with.
  • The Ordo Xenos Inquisitor is also the cheapest way we can field a conversion beam projector.

Oh, and the correct Psychic Disciplines are Sanctic Daemonology, Divination, Pyromancy, Telekinesis and Telepathy (the ones in the Codex are out of date).

Thanks for the tips Jolemai.

Imma head over the the =][= subforum now to seek further advice.

I've tried running some assassins as an allied detachemnt, but I find that they dont really bring much the the party that we dont already have cheaper (exepting the anti-psycher assassin, who is an absolute monster.)

I've tried running some assassins as an allied detachemnt, but I find that they dont really bring much the the party that we dont already have cheaper (exepting the anti-psycher assassin, who is an absolute monster.)

Yeah I only just looked at the assassins data slate the other day and holy crap. They really upped them compared to when I last had a look. Eversor's gauntlet is weird with no AP but Shred and Fleshbane... I guess you just drown them in saves?

Yeah I only just looked at the assassins data slate the other day and holy crap. They really upped them compared to when I last had a look. Eversor's gauntlet is weird with no AP but Shred and Fleshbane... I guess you just drown them in saves?

I've been looking over assassins lately and thinking of bringing my Vindicare out of retirement (the only assassin I can find the model for!)

Deathwing Terminators aren't cheaper but are more flexible in their loadouts.

Except for their Sgts. They have no flexibility at all it's power sword and storm bolter period.

Mortis Dreadnoughts and Contemptors.

BA get the BA Contemptor already. I can't quite remember what the differences are.

I find it difficult to set the points aside for non-BA units now. I have very stiff competition from so many great units in our own book. I would say an anti psyker assassin in some cases is well worth it, just like a knight is in a dread spam list, but ive came to the conclusion that we dont have quite as many holes in our army as we used to. Probably the only allies I would take would be if I started a new army.

I find it difficult to set the points aside for non-BA units now. I have very stiff competition from so many great units in our own book. I would say an anti psyker assassin in some cases is well worth it, just like a knight is in a dread spam list, but ive came to the conclusion that we dont have quite as many holes in our army as we used to. Probably the only allies I would take would be if I started a new army.

It is nice to have such a solid book :)

Archived