random making stuff

paulJam

[edit: changing this to be random stuff i've made as they're generally not worth separate posts]

greetings brothers,

an idea i had a while ago, and prompted by a topic about dice.

got problems shooting straight, use a scope...

got problems rolling scatter dice next to your unit, use a rollinator...

could you?

yes, it actually works quite well.

would you?

probably just more board top clutter.

made from scraps. thick cardboard and wood glue. the inside contains downward sloping ledges that the dice bounces down.

not to scale, just shows concept.

My only problem is getting my regular opponents to just roll their scatter next the unit they are targeting instead of on the opposite side of board then guestimating which direction the template went.

then today is your lucky day sir!!  step right up and see the latest in random probability cube containment technology.

no one needs heated seats... well maybe ice-road truckers... but they exist anyway  :)

and it killed a few minutes while i was waiting for something else to dry.

• 5 months later...

printed out a couple of these (own design) to see if they work.  they do.

necessary? not really.

made 25mm, 40mm and 65mm variations, just because.

btw my models all have metal washers in the bases to actually make this work.
a pain to do? yepper, but i've started now (still a WIP, all sm done and any new models in other armies).

was just a matter of time really...

results so far. dotted line is where the ejection port is. haven't done much of anything with the facings as yet. just happy to be done with the printing.

working out how to attach the facings, should have put some attachment holes on the 3d stuff.... next version.

still working on the details...

• 1 month later...
still very much a work in progress.

next is make the ejection port cover which also needs to stop the mag sliding up too far. and the outer cover/casing. and recess all the screws. and make it prettier... etc

then refactor the changes into the sketchup models.

haven't been able to do much over the last three weeks due to a busted paw, but the dexterity is coming back and pain less frequent. miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

so this is as far as i'm taking the project. has some ugly spots if you get too close, but given it was just an time filler experiment... meh.

you'll have to take my word that the 'clickity-click trigger' is truly spectacular !!

the end

Archived