Chappy or Lemartes?

Himlur

So 90 Points for a standard chappy with initiative 4 all other states the same. Or go with Lemartes for 130 Points with his special rule and initiative 6. I want to run them with DC for the rerolls. I just want opinions on witch one I should get. Thanks guys.

Firstly, your choice will be influenced by whichever part of your FOC is the most congested. If this isn't a concern, then it depends on your type of list.

For Jump DC you ate essentially paying 25 points for extra INT and his special rules. A HQ Chaplain is cheaper and more customisable so he may be better in a more appropriate list.

Just one remark. There is a reason why Lemartes is more expensive from the classic Chaplain and I discovered it while playing against Tyrannids almost a month ago.

I charged a Hive Tyrant with my DC. Lemartes wounded the Tyrant once and dropped its initaitive score to 1 due to Crozius Arcanum's concussive rule. The rest of the DC killed the Tyrant without suffering a single loss.

Lemartes is a model with high initiative and the concussive rule, which makes models that have lesser initiative than him unable to cause wounds unless the whole DC has a go first on them. It can even work sometimes when the DC becomes charged.

So in my opinion Lemartes might worth it for the extra points a he can act sometimes as a 'damage nullifier' against certain models such as monstrous creatures.

There is a third option.

If you're looking for something to run with DC, consider Astorath. He's minimally more expensive than Lemartes, but much more durable and gives better buffs (gives rerolls to both hits AND wounds). He also has that big instant-death power axe. 

Just one remark. There is a reason why Lemartes is more expensive from the classic Chaplain and I discovered it while playing against Tyrannids almost a month ago.

I charged a Hive Tyrant with my DC. Lemartes wounded the Tyrant once and dropped its initaitive score to 1 due to Crozius Arcanum's concussive rule. The rest of the DC killed the Tyrant without suffering a single loss.U

Lemartes is a model with high initiative and the concussive rule, which makes models that have lesser initiative than him unable to cause wounds unless the whole DC has a go first on them. It can even work sometimes when the DC becomes charged.

So in my opinion Lemartes might worth it for the extra points a he can act sometimes as a 'damage nullifier' against certain models such as monstrous creatures.

I do hear you on that, but keep in mind, in a Baal Strike Force the regular chaplain is initiative 5 and also his weapon is Concussive.

Sure Battle Brother! I cannot deny that Init5 on the charge is a very nice thing especially when combined with the concussive ability granted by the crozius arcanum. However, I believe that init 6 (rising to 7 when charging, because Baal Strike Force is very popular among Blood Angel players these days), has the potential to 'nullify' a wider range of enemy models than a model with init 5.

Imagine in my example that instead of Lemartes I had to charge with the classic Chaplain with init 5. Since in the assault phase attacks are resolved in their respective initaitive steps,the Hive Tyrant would be able to strike back at the Chaplain (or DC models if it was not locked in a challenge) at initiative step 5, possibly killing him. Sure the remaining DC would be able to finish the job, but, from that point on, the chance to play the 'High initiative - concussive - challenge' trick again in the same battle would be lost.

In my opinion, Lemartes is a very tricky model and it worths considering when it comes into deciding who will lead your DC. Astrorath and the classic HQ Chaplain are fine choices too, but the final chaoice between the three of them depends heavily on what army (or armies) you will be facing. 

All good points on who to use. Thanks every one. I plan on using the formation to get the +1 int. lemartes having to be stuck on DC squad isn't the end of the world but what if I wanted to move him over to an other squad. I was thinking of magnetizing a jump pack to a chaplain so the " model" could be lemartes or a Chappy. I want to try use both and see how it plays out and it all depends who's im up against and or what. Thanks again guys.

Archived