Advice on a unit pool for a campaign

Shortsol

Hi. I've been a long time lurker but I thought it was time to come out of the shadows so hear it goes.

Some friends and I are planning a campaign soon that will consist of 4 games. The idea for it is that you have a set unit pool at the start of the campaign and your army lists can only be made from units in the unit pool. To add to this if a unit is wiped out during a game it is removed from your unit pool which mean that your available units could really start to dwindle as things go on.

I was after some feed back for my chosen unit pool and figured that no place would be better than here too find it. We get 3750 pts and are looking at having 2x 1500 pt games a 1000 pt game and the final game will have all remaining units (That's going to be in no way fair but it should be fun smile.png )

Here's my pool

Company Command Isaiah

Mace of redemption, artificer armor, Perfidious Relic

Command Squad

Apothecary, Company Champion, Dark angels chapter banner

Interrogator Chaplain Casper

Terminator Armor

Deathwing command squad

Deathwing Champion, Apothecary, Deathwing company banner, cyclone missile launcher

2x

Dreadnought with 2 twin linked auto cannons

Deathwing terminators

Chain fist, thunder hammer storm sheild, assualy cannon

2x

5 man tactical squad

Vet Sgt w Power fist, meltagun

Razor back w lascannon and twin linked plasma gun

2x

5 man tactical squad

Vet Sgt w power sword, flamer

Razor back w lascannon and twin linked plasma gun

2x

10 man tactical squad

plasma gun, Plasma cannon

Rhino

2x

Land speeders

multi melta, typhoon missile launcher

5 man assault squad

Vet Sgt with power sword, 2 flamers

5 man assault squad

Vet Sgt with power fist, 2 plasma pistols

Land Raider Crusader

2x

5 Devestators

4 missile launchers with flakk missiles

2x

predators

auto cannon, 2 las cannons

Whirlwind.

And That's it. Hopefully it will get me through till the end. I typically set up with a small gunline for fire support and have 3 or so transports ride out to meet up with the deep striking terminators. It looks like I'll be fighting Tau, Nids and Eldar with the nid player being the only one who really fields much in the way of flyers. I'd really appreciate some feed back on the unit list or the campaign so if you have any ideas let me know smile.png

Sounds interesting.

I'd be looking to use full power armour squads I think to mitigate their being wiped out on the tabletop and thus no longer available for the rest of the campaign.

What happens to HQs? Do they disappear too? I'd probably include Sammy on jetbike as a strong HQ option to stay the course and a Librarian in terminator armour (or Belial) to attach to a termy unit. Also a PA Libby with Prescience to babysit the Dev squad. A bike Libby with Power Field Generator would be another neat option to babysit the Land Raider and Dreads if you plan to keep them. For me any these HQ options are more useful than your current two.

I'd probably drop the PA command squad and keep the tda version. Allow to take either the Standard of Devastation or Fortitude. I'd go for Fortitude I think as the Devastation hampers you tactically to running a less fluid gunline. That would free up some points for you to flesh out those PA units.

Dreads, Preds and lone speeders are weakish units in this edition and would be easy to eliminate from the campaign.

Bikes on the other hand are good to go with as the can create a disproportionate amount of highly mobile firepower damage and are T5 to boot. I'd take the bikes over Preds.

To sum up:

- You all need at least four HQ options to allow you to lose them one at a rate of one per game. Two isn't enough to last the campaign.

- Get rid of Dreads and tanks and speeders.

- Use full size PA units. Even if you choose to only deploy 5-man squads on the tabletop.

- Get bikes and plenty of them.

That's all I can offer right now :)

Cheers

I

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit the advantages of using full size PA squads hadn't even occurred to me.

HQ disappear as well although they regain any lost wounds. I Haven't used Sammy since last edition so it might be a good chance to dust him off. I've got some bikes coming in the mail so it would be a good incentive to get them done.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it :)

Archived