The Codex Magnus.

GrandMagnus

An Expendables type unit would be epic. You could use the metallic as the sign that perhaps their armor was stripped of their Chapters colors to avoid further dishonoring them?

That was my idea, although I was thinking about leaving their chapter badge. However, it would make more sense for them to have no badge, except a squad badge. The cool way to show from where they hail would probably be their armour decoration. They may be dishonoured, but a son of Fenris is still a son of fenris, and the same with all the others.

UPDATE TIME!

Its been a while but Im painting really slowly lately, due to a lack of time. Lucky for me I will get 2 weeks off from work next month so that should give me some time :P Anyways, here is the power armour done on the Angels of Redemption sergeant, from squad Black_Out:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-02-24%2022.30.14_zpsnvyjwt1x.jpghttp://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-02-24%2022.30.28_zpsskvsqo5k.jpghttp://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-02-24%2022.30.38_zpsgtugsvm2.jpg

And just so you can see Im not being lazy, I finished the tabard on the Hawk Lord and I am working on the gold. I really love/hate finecast...

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-02-24%2022.31.10_zpsanwlaml8.jpg

Don't see very many AoR. Cool.

They were a complicated chapter symbol away from being Howling Griffons lol

:D Well, you cant deny painting a griffon on a space marine shoulder plate is frakking difficult :P I guess I owe you a howling griffon, dont worry, some day... 

Don't see very many AoR. Cool.

They were a complicated chapter symbol away from being Howling Griffons lol

:D Well, you cant deny painting a griffon on a space marine shoulder plate is frakking difficult :P I guess I owe you a howling griffon, dont worry, some day...

Haha we'll see when this Sternguard sergeant arrives just how difficult it is...on a scale of 1 to 10 I'm gonna guess infuriating

Sorry Ive been a bit quiet, but Im back working on the minis. Ive also been making plans for my next project. A Horus Heresy strike team of Iron Warriors, one of my favorite legions which must do something with.

Oh, more HH Iron Warriors for me to draw inspiration from? Yes please! Are you going to be loyalist, or traitor?

Dallo

Oh loyalist, definetly loyalist. Most likely pre-heresy or perhabs a splinter fleet. But since I love anti-heroes these wont be the good kind of loyalists :P

Good man. I like seeing people's take on really dark, brooding loyalists. People often forget that space marines are genetically modified, child super soldiers. They're not meant to be nice. Keep us posted. Are you planning to do pre primarch IVth legion? Before they become the iron warriors? I don't think I've ever seen that done before, so that would be cool.

Dallo

Good man. I like seeing people's take on really dark, brooding loyalists. People often forget that space marines are genetically modified, child super soldiers. They're not meant to be nice. Keep us posted. Are you planning to do pre primarch IVth legion? Before they become the iron warriors? I don't think I've ever seen that done before, so that would be cool.

Dallo

No, Im going for the regular Iron Warriors, post-primarch but pre-heresy. My idea is, since I dont want anything big to begin with, is using the Strike force rules from HH: Book 3, which is similar to the kill team rules. I will be making a task force by the name of "cerberus", designated as a kill team which basically goes around after the battle is done executing surviving enemies and recovering the bodies and equipment of the fallen marines. I wrote up this litle description a couple of days ago:

Task force Cerberus was a designated kill team of the Iron Warriors 57th Grand Battalion. Their mission objective was to root out and exterminate and surviving oposition to the imperial rule that might linger in the bunkers and ruins of the enemies cities, as well as recovering the bodies and equipment of fallen battle brothers.

Of course, this was the official mission of the kill teams, but the warriors of the IVth legion where grim and cold hearted warriors, and as such they would often execute enemy civilians and soldiers who had surrendered in the aftermath of the battle. Little did they care for saving lives, instead relishing the hunt of those foolish enough to oppose the Imperial rule.

The kill teams of the 57th are reknown for painting their helmets black so they can distinguish their own in the midst of battle. Most of the brothers from this particular Grand Battalion are recruited from techno-bandits, wasteland raiders and hive gangers, all guilty of some sort of crime in their past lives before joining the legion. The most dangerous of these men are then chosen to join the kill teams, As such they show a distinctly tribal behaviour, as in the use of terror markings, a costum they picked up fighting alonside the VIII legion, and the taking of trophies and use of chainaxes inspired by the barbaric XIIth legion.

Not perfect, but you get the idea. The task force is basically a group of marines armed with chain weapons, bolters, flamers and melta guns, the perfect equipment for hunting down fleeing enemies and clearing bunkers. I want to equip them with MK IV because it is one of my favourite suits of armour and the sleek design fits in well with the fast pased combat. Might add a few suits of MK II though and some reinforced armour plates to some of the guys to give them a mixed armour design. And of course lots of battle damage, grit, dust, dirt and blood.

Stercus: Thanks brother! It would be nice to see some more purple chapters, its a beautiful colour.

Sounds like an awesome project. I look forward to seeing your take on the IVth. Regarding the chain axes, do you plan on just buying the forgeworld ones? I have gotten good results using the head from the Khorne Berserker's chain axe, and mating it to the haft of a thunderhammer from the vanguard kit.

A quick nitpick about the fluff. It's custom, not costum. Apart from that, pretty stellar fluff. They sound really interesting. The black helmet should give them a distinctive look on the battlefield.

Keep up the good work, and get cracking on the sons of Perturabo. cool.png

Dallo

Sounds like an awesome project. I look forward to seeing your take on the IVth. Regarding the chain axes, do you plan on just buying the forgeworld ones? I have gotten good results using the head from the Khorne Berserker's chain axe, and mating it to the haft of a thunderhammer from the vanguard kit.

A quick nitpick about the fluff. It's custom, not costum. Apart from that, pretty stellar fluff. They sound really interesting. The black helmet should give them a distinctive look on the battlefield.

Keep up the good work, and get cracking on the sons of Perturabo. cool.png

Dallo

1st. Thanks for the correction :P I sometimes get it mixed up.

And I was thinking about using forge world chainaxes, I like them a lot, and a SoH reaver chainaxe for the Decurion, count as power axe, but Im having a hard time finding one :(

Im not sure when I will order the first IW, I might want to finish the challenge to augustus arena first, which will give me time to create a purchase list. Any idea how I can convert an axe so the marine is holding it by the neck of the head, rather than the handle, I have a cool pose in mind.

Keep up the good work, and get cracking on the sons of Perturabo. B)

Dallo

1st. Thanks for the correction :P I sometimes get it mixed up.

And I was thinking about using forge world chainaxes, I like them a lot, and a SoH reaver chainaxe for the Decurion, count as power axe, but Im having a hard time finding one :(

Im not sure when I will order the first IW, I might want to finish the challenge to augustus arena first, which will give me time to create a purchase list. Any idea how I can convert an axe so the marine is holding it by the neck of the head, rather than the handle, I have a cool pose in mind.

I say just snip it out and rearrange the pieces and smooth out any bumps?

How about something like this?

http://i.imgur.com/IrLSPLRl.jpg

I apologize for the picture quality, but hopefully you can make it out. I couldn't be bothered to get my lighting set up out. If you need a clearer picture, I can get you one, but it's a pretty simple conversion. Just a cleaned up Khornate chain axe head pinned to a Sanguinary Guard axe haft. It has the added advantage of being in MkIV already, though you might want to shave off the blood drop, or incorporate it into your fluff as some kind of gang sign. 

Hope this is helpful.

Failing that, go with a cut and paste job like black_out suggested, but I find that the more cuts you make on a piece, the harder it is to make it look convincing, and not like several segments stuck together.

Dallo

Yeah, exactly that. Thanks for the idea Dalio, although I would have to find another kind of axe head, the one from the berserkers is too bulky for my taste. I would like to find something a bit more slender but stil menacing.

I have a tiny update for you, btw:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-03-03%2018.40.04_zpsjjymo3q2.jpg

I might be able to finish the combat squad sergeant tonight.

Glad to be of use. I know that some (slightly crazy) people scratch build their own chain axe heads from plasticard and the like, or you could just invest in the forgeworld ones. Personally I think the bulky look fits the IVth like a glove, but if you're running predominantly MkIV , the slimmer look would compliment the sleeker aesthetics of the armour. Mr Hawk Lord is looking suave. I like the eye lenses in particular.

Anywho, I look forward to your updates, 30k related or otherwise.

Dallo

P.S. Less of this "Dalio" business. It sounds like something Ned Flanders might come out with. tongue.png

Archived