Mephistons full potential is blocked?

GrunTeufel

Let me get this straight.

A psyker can roll the same number of powers of his mastery level. So if you roll on the same table for a ML2 librarian, you will get three powers (not counting force), two from the table and one primaris. 

Mephiston is a ML3 psyker but he already has a power. Does this mean If I were to roll on divination, I only get two powers without the primaris? 

For any psyker that has a set power, if that power is not in any of the disciplines, it does not affect you gaining psychic focus with your rolls.  The powers that you roll all have to come from the same discipline to get you psychic focus in the case of Mephiston (like Ezekiel of the Dark Angels).

OK, now I'm confused too. :s

If I took Mepgiston and (for example) I decided to take all his powers from Biomancy, would I then get:

Sanguine Sword

Force

Biomancy (random card A)

Biomancy (random card B )

Biomancy (random card C)

AND

Biomancy (Primaris)

Is that right, or does he only get 2 Biomancy powers, one being taken up by Sanguine Sword?

Only two rolls. One of his three choices are taken up by Sanguine Sword. He then gets two rolls on whatever table he is entitled to roll on and if they are the same table, he gets the primaris in addition. He also gets force.

So:

Sanguine Sword

Force

Table A random power

Table A random power

Table A Primaris

Or

Sanguine Sword

Force

Table A random power

Table B random power

In my opinion yes. What he has lost in stats he has made up in gaining Independant Character and can still be quite brutal. Last game he was in a Squad with Corbulo and with a good Quickening roll and Sword active he had WS 7, INT 10, STR 10, and ATK 9. He promptly missed the lot against an Invisible Be'Lakor and got hacked to bits, but that's beside the point...

He simply has to be used differently and like all strong Psychers, he needs an additional supply of Warp Charge. I still like the idea of running him solo with Biomancy with a Librarian Dreadnought in tow. but that's just me.

tl;dr he's no longer an auto include and needs a delivery system.

It's a shame sword takes up a slot mellow.png but one can survive I suppose!

In terms of using him how many dice do you all like to dedicate to powers? I'd say getting force and/or sword (depending on enemy toughness/ AV) and at least another buff (quickening for example) is pretty important, so maybe at least 2 for each of those if possible?

I've found (with my little experience) that Mephiston with biomancy is brutal. I've gotten a good deal of mileage out of a combi-melta heavy sternguard squad. It's a horrendous threat in someone's backyard. If you get lucky and snag Endurance, that makes an extremely difficult  lump of bodies to shift, as well. I had these guys tie up a squad of seven or eight terminator Wolf Guard for three game turns, eventually coming out on top, with only seven lost wounds!

I do rather like the idea of an allied Loth. Although he has a limited range of disciplines available, the ability to select which powers he has access to is potentially very powerful. Guaranteed Invisibility on a drop podding unit of Centurions for example could be verging on broken. Too bad he cannot take a Jump pack or we would have invisible Sanguinary Guard. biggrin.png

FNP ObjSec tactical squads (Chapter Tactics: Red Scorpions) as back field objective holders are not too shabby either.

FNP ObjSec tactical squads (Chapter Tactics: Red Scorpions) as back field objective holders are not too shabby either.

Two minimal squads would be pretty amazing as well. Just pop a heavy in each (or a plasma gun?) and let them sit there taunting the opponent. The FNP is pretty fluffy too for us (to an extent) and you could always paint them the same with a little fluff saying how they're using the thirst for the strength to keep fighting rather than smashing faces. Work even better when you think that the BA Tac's are the more experienced marines happy.png

...With Mephy, Servin, two squads and then the rest of your army it does get pretty pricey though, surely? entirely Workable though for the deathstar you could bring.

Stupid BnC Making me want to convert even more count as characters.....

I always run meph with quickening then a roll on the biomancy table. The powers from that table are all great, the only one I would ever swap out for smite is hemorage. Get really silly if he rolls warp speed. Int 10 with potential for 12 attacks on the charge. :D

Two minimal squads would be pretty amazing as well. Just pop a heavy in each (or a plasma gun?) and let them sit there taunting the opponent. The FNP is pretty fluffy too for us (to an extent) and you could always paint them the same with a little fluff saying how they're using the thirst for the strength to keep fighting rather than smashing faces. Work even better when you think that the BA Tac's are the more experienced marines ^_^

...With Mephy, Servin, two squads and then the rest of your army it does get pretty pricey though, surely? entirely Workable though for the deathstar you could bring.

You could even use apothecary models for the sergeants as if they are sanguinary novitiates in training.

Pricey for sure but with 6+D6 warp charges a turn and the ability to optimise your powers, you can really build the rest of the army around these guys with a high degree of confidence in the support they can provide.

Two minimal squads would be pretty amazing as well. Just pop a heavy in each (or a plasma gun?) and let them sit there taunting the opponent. The FNP is pretty fluffy too for us (to an extent) and you could always paint them the same with a little fluff saying how they're using the thirst for the strength to keep fighting rather than smashing faces. Work even better when you think that the BA Tac's are the more experienced marines ^_^

You could even use apothecary models for the sergeants as if they are sanguinary novitiates in training.

Pricey for sure but with 6+D6 warp charges a turn and the ability to optimise your powers, you can really build the rest of the army around these guys with a high degree of confidence in the support they can provide.

Yeah the noviates thing is what I was going for, would be pretty great! What other units would people suggest to acompany this core? I guess some fast moving jumpers and other pods would be good to spread the threat around.

Yeah the noviates thing is what I was going for, would be pretty great! What other units would people suggest to acompany this core? I guess some fast moving jumpers and other pods would be good to spread the threat around.

Neither psyker has access to a jump pack so if you want to get close to the enemy, you are looking at transports. Since being in transports nerfs certain powers, that makes pods the obvious choice. Red Scorpions are a codex chapter so you can take something easy like a unit of Invisible Centurions in an FA pod. Being close to the enemy means you have the option of landing a psychic shriek on something too.

Land Mephiston nearby with a unit of Sternguard to lay down some more heavy firepower and you can cripple most non-vehicle-targets on the turn you land.

In the meantime, you could have a unit or 2 with jump packs moving up the field to reinforce their position. On turn 2, the psykers can leave their pod units and join the DC/SG/etc before they charge. Invisible Death Company will eat their own points value of TWC for breakfast.

Don't forget that Loth can expend a WC to turn his 2+ save into a 2++. While not a combat monster, you can potentially use him to tank  non-ID hits if you are feeling brave.

Archived