Extremely sad goodbye

Murdicus

it is with much sorrow (nagging from the wife) and heartache (personal attachment) that I must say goodbye to this once greatly loved hobby

after the best part of 20 years collecting our beloved first legion I am having to give up the hobby due to lack of time and space (running pubs is a 24 hour a day business these days)

although I will be saying goodbye to my collection there will still be a few hanging around as I plan on making a diorama for myself to display to remember the good times this great hobby has bought me.  using the chapel of sanctuary I plan on making a scene of some of the greatest warriors that the dark angels have to offer hunting cypher

I am hoping to keep you guys updated on the progress of this as much as possible but as I am sure you can appreciate it is going to take quite a bit of time due to lack of it to give

thank you all for your constant (don't want it to sound bad) criticisms of my work.  it has truly helped me to gain the skills required to take on such a mammoth task as the one I am planning

wish I could but unfortunately the pub trade is an unforgiving one and as a career it takes over your life.  hopefully I can get one with a function room in the future and then I can host game nights and maybe get back into the hobby but time is unforgiving (much the same is our legions devotion to the job at hand)

on the up side is does mean that there will be a good chunk of an army on ebay soon enough for anybody after a bargain

If you can afford to put it into storage, do it. You'll be much happier in the short-term knowing your collection is still around and it'll make it easier to get back into the hobby down the line.

That said...I do sometimes wonder if I'd make a better deal of things were I to start again right now with a clean slate. You may find coming back to the hobby in a little while with a fresh start helps you to begin some awesome new projects you might not have felt able to commit to before, what with an existing army to finish and stuff.

The thing is, according to some, no one on their death beds regrets working not enough. But apparently everyone regrets they've spent too much time at work and too little with their families or doing things that make them happy. Do you want to have regrets on your deathbed?

Larhendial what a question :D

I'm sure Murdicus has thought this through properly. At the end of the day 40K is only a hobby. Real life commitments must always come first - no question.

Cheers

I

@Brother-Captain Arkhan:

Although the main bulk of my army will be gone I will be purposely making the diorama so it can dismantled and the Brothers rebased for future use.  As I said, the plan is to make a dramatic and fashionable return in the grim darkness of the not so distant future. Just gonna be a good few years unfortunately.

@Chaplain Lucifer:

The bolter will be hung but the rites will be maintained and all cleaning drills performed on a regular basis. Discipline from the Army still runs in my veins!

@Larhendiel:

I live my life by a few simple rules, one being that I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not living my life.  This is why career takes a priority so that I can retire early and hopefully go on to outlive (science and luck providing) some of our most veteran brothers.  I will still be going with this hobby until my hands become far too knarled to work properly and even then I May have my slaves, sorry, kids to live through

@Isiah

You have always been a level headed inspiration and gladly I have learnt from your wisdom which is why I must unfortunately take this break but like the emperor I shall return stronger than ever but I will always be lerking around these hallowed halls

@twopounder

unfortunately is has all been stored in an attic for the last 2 years and now I don't have one.  storage is too limited or too expensive unfortunately but the basis of a future force will be staying with me even if its an army I rebuild on in a progressive campaign style.  I will, however, be making some smart purchases for the diorama for future use as well

sorry to see you go! I know you'll be back though.  It takes creative and inspired people to do this hobby and you don't just lose that, it always needs an outlet.

on a side note...  what username on eBay should I start following? :D

@JGeils81:

It will be some time yet as I need to strip down and see what I have all together including bits to start the base of the diorama but feel free to add me on facebook as it looks like I will be selling it all on a page on there as recommended by Dark_Master.  If not then I will let you have first choice on what's Left.  At Last count my army with all possible variants stood at around 3500 points but PM if you are interested so I don't break forum rules. The basic core of my Army can make a solid 1500 points regardless and that will definitely be going along with all remaining bits after completion

Here's an idea for you.....

Set up a gaming pud!  Huge bar, loads of tables in a back room...keep your regular punters happy in the front then run an illicit-stylee wargaming club 'in the back'.  You could even get a bouncer to stand on the door looking serious...

@marvmoogy:

I think I got the bouncer part sorted on my own. ex-army and ex-rugby standing at 6'2" so yeah quite easy really. don't get to play then though if I'm stood at the door. need a pub with a function room big enough though

@Gillyfish:

pictures of my WIP will be available in abundance. you may even see some ideas stolen due to the ongoing inspiration you have provided over the years

unfortunately I have ended up being stuck in hospital with a bowel condition but it looks like I may be going home tomorrow and have been told that I will need a few weeks off when I get home so there may be quicker progress on this project than previously anticipated. keep your eyes peeled I guess. I may even, time permitting, create the council's off azrael, sammael and belial whilst I am at it as well with each command squad attached for good measure hopefully. at least thay way I will still have a good collection left to admire on my shelves

Thanks for the messages guys

So after a few days at home and realising just how ill I actually am I have decided to scale back on the plans and go with just cypher being hunted by belial but I can't decide what weapon load out to go with on the grand master

Any suggestions as to what would look best for the hunt?

Storm bolter and Sword of Secrets. The Cypher model is perfectly posed for a duelling scene, so how about having Belial advancing? i imagine him with his storm bolter raised, returning Cypher's hail of fire, and his sword held low, ready to swing when he's close enough.

I can't put my hand on anything 'official' to say he has served with the DW, but I, like you, think that it would be more than likely.

I remember reading something a long time ago that says that the DA actually like sending their marines to the DW as it can give them a wider net listening to rumours of the Fallen...

Archived