Arming a BA Librarian (on Bike)

appiah4

So people who have more experience with Psychic characters, help me out here.

I already have pretty much two of each kind of HQ, the only one I lack is the Librarian; so I'll use that excuse to put together a Librarian on Bike for myself.  Going through the threads, it looks like Gallian's Staff is the bee's knees, but I have no bits to make one, so that's out the window.  WHOOSH.

Failing Gallian's Staff, what would be a decent way to arm a Librarian on Bike?  Specifically, the following:

• How important is ML2 for this HQ?  He will be joined by a BA Bike Squad (2x Plasmagun, 1x Power Fist Veteran, Auspex)
  • Is it worth arming him with any ranged weapons?  I'm thinking Grav Pistol or Fury of Baal here.
  • Which Psychic Discipline is best for this Biker units meant to double-tap and charge high points enemy units?

Thanks in advance B&C :)

My 2p worth:

Divination. ML 2 is arguably better as Prescience is WC 2.

Don't give him a ranged weapon seeing as in the squad you listed above, he would need to have the Auspex and that forgoes any shooting.

As your Sergeant has a power fist, give him a staff to Concuss things (or a sword to go after the squad).

My 2p worth:

Divination. ML 2 is arguably better as Prescience is WC 2.

Don't give him a ranged weapon seeing as in the squad you listed above, he would need to have the Auspex and that forgoes any shooting.

As your Sergeant has a power fist, give him a staff to Concuss things (or a sword to go after the squad).

The Sergeant has a Power Fist so he has no ranged weapons, hence Aspex is on him.  That frees Librarian for shooting, and a no Gets Hot, Master Crafted Plasma Pistol for 20 points sounds delicious?

ML2 and Divination sound pretty cool to me as well.. Does anybody object?

Corrected on the Sergeant Auspex; OK, no Auspex for the squad then.. By Rule of Cool I'm taking ML2 Librarian on Bike with Force Sword and...

Fury Of Baal:

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/khorne_berzerker_plasma_pistol_1_large.jpg

OK So, I was sitting on the crapper last night reading through the Psychic rules and Disciplines..

And holy crap, is Divination GREAT with Plasma bikers or what?  I mean, what is the purpose of getting a Sanguinary Priest for FnP when over half the Divination powers provide similar or better?  Let's see;

Primaris: Hell yeah, I'll take re-rolls to hit for my Plasmas'

Foreboding: Why not

Forewarning: 1 WC, blessing, 4++ - basically awesome for bikers

Perfect Timing: Auspex what?

Precognition: Meh

Malediction: Rending TL Boltguns and Plasmaguns? Nice

Scrier's Gaze: Meh

So basically, with a ML2 Librarian, you are almost guaranteed to get good to great utility out of this guy! I'm in love with the concept.  What am I missing, if anything?

I don't think you are missing anything. Divination is a great go-to discipline for general utility powers (although upping Prescience to 2WC was a slight case of overkill). Some units will get more out of it that others but you are correct that anything that grants a reroll is a great chice for plasma.

As to why a Priest over a Libby? A Priest is less flexible but he will not Peril and his buffs cannot be Denied. I had a recent game where I failed to cast any powers for the whole game with a Level 2 Spiritseer even though my opponent had no psykers. It was a combination of poor rolling on my part and good denying on his but some static buffs would have been prefferable in that game at least.

Still, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I would add Veritas Vitae as well if you are making the Libby your warlord. The ability to roll twice on the Strategic table is great as 4 of the 6 traits work very well for BAs and it is a bargain for just 1 point more than a tactical marine. I would prefer a combi-grav to Baal's Fury as relentless + Grav is a good combo but I like using my bikes are grav platforms anyway.

The T5 on the bike makes him more survivable. I think it's a good idea. On the other hand he's only got the two wounds and a 3+ save (well plus the jink which can really help). Bottom line I don't think he'll win against dedicated combat characters, and still won't survive concentrated shooting. So, I generally don't upgrade his hand to hand weapon. I believe in ML2 80% of the time. He's there to provide psyker support and he needs to have a decent chance at doing that job. Along that line I think that relic staff is a good idea too. Since he's better at supporting than fighting in my eyes, I'd have somebody else with the stormshield taking hits for him. That, a larger bike squad to soak up wounds.

I love divination, but if you've got another character in that squad I think the sanguinary discipline could shine. There's something to be said about using the army's strengths and unique qualities. 

Archived