advice on my successor chapters paint scheme

Aspiringchaoschampion

Without a test model, I would agree. There are a couple of things I can think about to help make the jump.

Robes/Tabards - Ultramarines have relatively clean armor and love to have exposed plates to show off that upside down Omega. Having robes that cover the armor makes it tie into the Unforgiven.

Use of Bone or Green - Arkley did some awesome Red Unforgiven that didn't look like Bood Angels. One thing I noticed is he kept the Dark Green in the color scheme as a spot color. My own combined Unforgiven have Bone as the linking color. Ultramarines use the piercingly bright white, but Unforgiven use the subdued bone color.

Sword Iconography - The Unforgiven love their swords, especially that diamond point sword. While it may not win you any games, having the commanders with Swords helps to identify which Primarch they hail from. Also, use swords as part of a chapter or other marking that is included on the armor or banners of the chapter or squad.

Company/Squad Markings - the Dark Angels use a non-standard way of noting their companies because they were at one time based on heraldry. The GW publication that showed various successors painted up showed the Second Founding using the exact same company markings. Same goes with the DA squad symbols and their use of numbers.

A good silver + blue scheme based on/similar to the Guardians of the Covenant would probably work, but the Unforgiven seem to not be terribly creative with their color palette. Green, black, bone/tan/cream, red, silver, white, smattering of gold/brass/bronze - these seem to be the colors of the Unforgiven. I'd say a base color of one of those with the blue as an accent/secondary color would probably make a pretty cool looking Unforgiven.

Well, one option you have if you want blue is to use a slightly different shade. Maybe go darker (or lighter). 

If you go darker, follow Belial's excellent advice and think about pale bone and metal spot colours.

If lighter, think about dark green as an option, possibly black too.

The other option is painting some parts of the armour a different shade so that it is clearly a different Chapter to the Ultramarines.

I would agree with the test mini ideas so you can get a sense of how the colour scheme will pan out.

Archived