Dread Spam

Charlo

Hi all, has anyone tried out mass dreads with the new codex yet?

The maximum you could potentially have is seven using just the codex book with the Baal Strike Force:

2 Librarian Dreads for HQs.

4 Furioso/ DC for Elites.

1 Cassor for Troops.

Pretty nasty, especially if you got them Pods I imagine.

What would you guys take with this? Or even how would you use them?

Definately not asking because I will own 5 dreads in a couple of days...

Ran five dreads for a while and it was great fun.

3 fragiosos dropping for effect. 2 DC dreads dropping with an eye to assaulting next turn; Lucius pods are ideal for these. Back in old dex of course, but had meph and corbulo in a land raider.

Obvious weakness is mobility, and covering their rear arcs. You might find this a problem no matter what you run with them.

I suppose it goes without saying you'll take Sanguinary for the Libby dreads? Quickening will make them pure anti-MC.

If you want to go for even more you could always run a CAD as an allied detachment; Libby dread as HQ, scout troop tax and as many furiosos or DC dreads as you can fit. Of the top of my head, that might give you 9 dreads in total..

3 fragiosos dropping for effect. 2 DC dreads dropping with an eye to assaulting next turn; Lucius pods are ideal for these. Back in old dex of course, but had meph and corbulo in a land raider.

Obvious weakness is mobility, and covering their rear arcs. You might find this a problem no matter what you run with them.

I suppose it goes without saying you'll take Sanguinary for the Libby dreads? Quickening will make them pure anti-MC.

If you want to go for even more you could always run a CAD as an allied detachment; Libby dread as HQ, scout troop tax and as many furiosos or DC dreads as you can fit. Of the top of my head, that might give you 9 dreads in total..

Woah...lost my internet there and look what I did! Mods..please help?! :)

Excellent help guys! I'm just a bit in love with Dreads after they ripped through a zone mortalis game the other day (although there is a lot less shooting there but still...) I currently have two Dreads, one With two combat weapons that could be DC or Furi and another with no arms currently. Then I have the parts for 3 more coming. Goin to make one Librarian, one fragi and then Cassor and see what parts I have left for anything else.

Really tempted by the new shooty Daredo(sp?) too, especially with those big plasma guns they showed at the weekender ...

Dont forget BSF needs 2 troops, so you need scouts anyways.

Librarian Dread, pod

Librarian dread, pod

Fragioso, pod

Fragioso, pod

5 scouts

5 scouts

5 scouts

Cassor, FA Pod

5 dreads at 1080 pts using 2 baal strike force detachments.

You have the option to add 2 more librarian dreads, and up to 6 more elite dreads depending on your point limit.

Nice list. I have a few sniper scouts and a few combat ones but the third choice will have to be Tacs. Probably with a grav gun or missile launcher to pot shot things.

Hopefully some infiltrating combat scouts can assist a dread where it's needed to stop a tarpit or intercept a Melta threat.

Just to add, Forgeworld's new Deredeo pattern Dreadnought takes up a HS slot so that increases your maximum and the best bit is that it potentially sorts the list for anti-air. Sadly it has the Relic of the Armoury rule so if you wanted anymore you would have to squeeze in a Chaplain somehow.

Then there's the Lucious pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod which may be of use (any Dreadnought can take it as a Dedicated Transport) as it can give your Dreadnought Shrouded on the turn it arrives (along with anything that draws a line of sight behind it) and if you wanted, you could leave the Dreadnought embarked and still fire due to the open-topped nature of the Drop Pod.

Ah, I see the confusion. Instead of "anymore" I should have typed "more than one". Sorry, my bad. I've also just noticed you mentioning the plasma arms in an earlier post and as nice as they are, it looks like they will be 30k only :( (So you'll more than likely need permission in a casual setting.)

Well, adding sniper scouts with cloaks (+ missile) adds 30pts.

Swapping 5 scouts to tac marines with a grav/missile adds another 30pts.

That brings the list I proposed up to 1140pts.

To that, you can add 2 more fragiosos in pods, then upgrade 2 pods to get deathwind launchers for an even 1500pts.

However you can fit all this into a single BSF. In that case, I'd drop the tacs and a scout squad and add ML to the librarians.

Going to 2000pts:

Librarian Dread, pod ML2

Librarian dread, pod ML2

Fragioso, pod

Fragioso, pod

Fragioso, pod

Fragioso, pod

Death co dread, pod

Death co dread, pod

5 scouts

5 scouts, camo cloaks, missile launcher

5 Tacs, grav gun, combi grav, drop pod

Cassor, FA Pod

5 assault marines, 2x melta, combi melta, pod

2000pts exactly.

9 dreads, 11 pods. You get 6 dreads in your enemies deployment zone turn 1.

That is fully brutal. I guess see what you roll and if you get Blood Lance get some happy sniping going on Turn one. Main problem here is I don't have however many £'s to spend on pods. Personally I think they should be cheaper for what they are. Time to get paper crafting...

Is it legal to take 2 BSF? Maybe it's just tourny comp over here but the second detachment has to be different to the primary?

If so:

BSF:

2 Libby dreads

4 furioso

Cassor

Scouts

3 HS dread

10 dreads in one detachment. Circa 1500 points including pods, off the top of my head.

Is it legal to take 2 BSF? Maybe it's just tourny comp over here but the second detachment has to be different to the primary?

Yes. Perfectly legal.

If your second detachment had to be different to the primary, no army could ever take a second combined arms detachment, which unfairly gimps 6th ed codexes unless they're using allies.

An army can be made up of as many detachments as you like. The ones available to Blood Angels are:

Combined arms

Allied (must not be from Codex Blood Angels)

Baal Strike Force

Archangels Strike Force

Flesh Tearer Strike Force.

You can mix and match these as you choose, as long as you meet all the minimum requirements in the force org.

Archived