Miscommunication on the new Sanguinary Priest?

Quixus

Is it just me or does the new generic Sanguinary Priest look more like Corbulo than Corbulo himself? Has there been some miscommunication between the modelling department and the marketing department?

Corbulo's signature wargear:

Heavens Teeth (chainsword)

Red Grail

Narthecium

Power Armour

Now look at the models:

Special looking Chainsword:

Corbulo: no, Sanguinary P: yes

Ornate power armour befitting a named special character:

C: no, SP: yes

Big cup:

C: yes, SP: yes.

There are additional inconsistencies: Most Sanguinary priests do not carry an actual chalice but just a shard of one of the chalices used by Sanguinius himself in their narthecia, or has that been retconned in the current codex?.

The SP model looks like it couldn't take a JP which Corbulo wouldn't anyway and the Corbulo model looks perfectly capable of switching the backpack for a JP.

I find that really curious. Does anyone use the new SP as Corbulo?

No. I think they realize they could earn a lot more money by selling the model as Sanguinary Priest rather than a Special character, as you can have twice as many Sang Priests in an army as detachments, but only one Special Character. If used as allies you generally go for the cheapest reasonable HQ. Very few select named characters like Corbulo when they just want FnP on their terminators.

That is absolutely a model of Corbulo. It may have been inteded fo release as such at one point, but there was definitely no miscommunication by the time it actually hit the shelves, and the fact that it has the optional helmet seals the deal. Quozzo's points are all on the money, plus, look at their policy regarding codex entries needing minis, and vice versa* - there's already technically a model of Corbulo, but there wasn't a generic priest, hence, that's what this is, even if it totally is Corbulo in all but name. They know very well a whole bunch of BA players are going to use him as/kitbash him into Corbulo anyway.

*except wolf priests

there's already technically a model of Corbulo, but there wasn't a generic priest, hence, that's what this is, even if it totally is Corbulo in all but name.

There was a metal and/or Finecast SP model, released shortly after the 5th Ed. Codex but it is gone now for some reason. Found one, I think.

It is Corbulo, in the same way that Astorath is Mephiston, and the Sanguinor is Dante.

Didn't want to replace classic sculpts, so they make a model similar enough to be used as a great base for easy conversions to the other model.

The model is a sanguinary priest, however it look sufficiently like corbulo that it can be used as him no problems.

Putting it down to...miscommunication between the modelling and marketing departments....do you think they, or any of the other people involved don't talk at all?

Brief: "Make an ornate sanguinary priest that is close enough to the corbulo model that it can be used as a proxy if we ever decide to can finecast. Make sure it has a grail, as a grail is in it's wargear listing. We dont currently make a model of a grail, and dont want 3rd parties taking advantage of this."

OK. I'm pretty sure though that there was a Sanguinary Priest model before the release of the current codex.

Yeah what he means is, it was the same model. The old 3rd edition Blood Angels Honour Guard box had a standard bearer, a tech-marine with JP, a champion type, a regular guy and that same Sanguinary priest in metal.

They later released it alone (5th ed) in finecast.

But anyway I agree with the general consensus, that new model is a dead ringer for Corbulo.

It is Corbulo, in the same way that Astorath is Mephiston, and the Sanguinor is Dante.

I don't get that statement. Astorath has a Power Axe, Mephiston has a Force Sword. The Sanguinor has a Power Sword and a chalice, Dante has a Power Axe and an inferno/Infernus Pistol. Neither of them can be used interchangably without conversion. The Sanguinary Priest on the other hand can be used as Corbulo out of the box, while he is ill suited to take many of the options that a Sanguinary Priest has. JP will probably be blocked by the collar, bike legs cannot be attached easily as the torso and legs are split from collarbone to the groin instead of across the waist, only the arms can be easily exchanged.

Didn't want to replace classic sculpts, so they make a model similar enough to be used as a great base for easy conversions to the other model.

The model is a sanguinary priest, however it look sufficiently like corbulo that it can be used as him no problems.

Putting it down to...miscommunication between the modelling and marketing departments....do you think they, or any of the other people involved don't talk at all?

Brief: "Make an ornate sanguinary priest that is close enough to the corbulo model that it can be used as a proxy if we ever decide to can finecast. Make sure it has a grail, as a grail is in it's wargear listing. We dont currently make a model of a grail, and dont want 3rd parties taking advantage of this."

I don't know whether this was intentional but it just seemed weird that the generic SP is what a contemporary Corbulo should look like and the model does not lend itself well to conversions. BTW I doubt GW can copyright a chalice, even a skull faced one.

I have some FW apothecaries I use for regular priests. 

I really need to do this, I've wanted an excuse to get those sculpts fot ages. Speaking of - and while I'm aware it's a derail it saves me making a thread about it - does the Mk.IV apothecary have a swappable pauldron on either arm, or are they both fixed? I figure the one on the arm with the reductor etc is part of the arm, but what about the other one, with the apothecarion symbol?

I have some FW apothecaries I use for regular priests. 

I really need to do this, I've wanted an excuse to get those sculpts fot ages. Speaking of - and while I'm aware it's a derail it saves me making a thread about it - does the Mk.IV apothecary have a swappable pauldron on either arm, or are they both fixed? I figure the one on the arm with the reductor etc is part of the arm, but what about the other one, with the apothecarion symbol?

The pads are separate.

I don't get that statement. Astorath has a Power Axe, Mephiston has a Force Sword. The Sanguinor has a Power Sword and a chalice, Dante has a Power Axe and an inferno/Infernus Pistol. Neither of them can be used interchangably without conversion. 

This was no issue in 5th edition when power weapons were not distinct. There are plenty of people with Dante counts-as with swords etc.

Like I said, the new character sculpts allowed for very easy conversion into older special characters.

Archived