How do you equip your Death Company?

Sanguine_Blood

In 6th edition I used 10 in a pod with bolters to some success. I think in 3rd edition they were randomly generated, but I can't quite remember now. I seem to be going back to how I used them a long time ago, as an assault hammer. At the moment I'm still trying to figure how to get the army up and running with the new codex.

Raphen's Death company from Shield of Baal Deathstorm. I like the objective secured, jump packs, Raphen is a character, and some of the wargear. I don't like how many points it is for 5 models. However, this unit does make an interesting all jump pack, allied detachment available. Even if overcosted, because of its troop status this unit is worth another look.

Standard Death Company. I run 5 with jump packs, 1 powerfist, 1 power weapon, CCW & BP on the rest. I think 6 or 7 for unit size is probably better to keep enough alive for viable combat. I don't run them with a priest. I have used a psyker (divination) with some success. The 4+ invulnerable, re-roll hits, or rending are great bonuses for them. Chaplains or astrorath are usually too many points for me, but I do see the value. The bolter variant is ok, but if you get stuck in a combat that CCW extra attack is really valuable. 

Jump packs do seem to be the way to go. There's too much tactical flexibility in them to ignore. Sure, they're outpaced by jetpacks, jetbikes, bikes, flyers, and vehicles, but jump packs are still far better than infantry. Also, with some luck that Veritas relic could allow you to infiltrate 3 non-vehicle units, the sanguinary discipline could get you an extra 12" move, Dante could help your deep strike, the relic jump pack on an unnamed HQ could reduce your drop and help against interceptor. None of these are guarantees, but I think each really lends well to jump pack units. If you play maelstrom missions, mobility is even more important. 

Haven't touched my BA's in quite some time (ie have no 7th ed rules for them) ... so am I reading this right.. Jump Packs are now viable options for DC ?  I made 30 of em for my collection, all modeled with magnetised JP's because at the time it was all about the rhino delivery system.

Bolter with fist or thunder hammer still the appropriate choice ?

In last week's game, used  DC (5) with a PF, PA, PS, and two CS, jump packs, delivered by Stormraven.  Eventually they deployed from the raven (turn 3?) to drop behind a Melta dread, shot it up from behind, and finished it off in close combat (at maybe I5 with simple S6 krak grenades), and then in following turns scored on some objectives for sorely needed points and tried not to call attention to themselves from the Knight with its long-range S8AP3 rapid fire cannon. It was not the best use for them, but the game was unique.  In the same game, the Stormraven delivery system accounted for popping two siege dreads and damage to a Knight.  On the other hand, the podded assault squad accounted for two dreads and a pod.  More disappointing, the jump assault squad with libby and SG accounted for just a dread, and then was stomped to pulp by a siege dread and the Knight.  I'm revisiting the DC and other units to see where I can get maybe some meltabombs or something...       

I haven't used DC since randomed generated 3rd edition DC, but I definitely see their value now, especially with the huge price cut on adding jump packs. Lately I've been on the Sanguinary Guard + Sanguinary Priest train with good success, but I've been tempted to proxy a squad of DC to check them out. Probably something like:

8 DC w/BP & CCW

Jump Packs

Thunder Hammer

2 Infernus Pistols

&

Lemartes

It totals out to 377, which really isn't that bad for what you get

Archived