Dreadnought or libby for deathwing and general DW load outs

faytality

Hi all, 

Looking to piece together a DW army and looking for a bit of advice on it.

Ive got the core of my army sort and have a few points spare so was wondering would a DP deed with double flamer or TDA libby be more complimentary?

Core list is:

belial

3 x 5 man squads

1 x 5 man DWK

land raider crusader

land raider (normal one)

dread / libby / 2-terminators?????

Im thinking the dread can help with the alpha strike nature of the DW, but its also nice to have a libby to cast a couple physic powers / nullify emery powers, or is it getting 2-3 more terminators?

With the DW squad load outs, i generally have 5 man with cyclone and TH/SS, but is it worth putting the cyclone and TH/SS on the same guy or 2 separate models?

Hope you can help 

I would put the TH&SS on a non cyclone model. The reason is that sometimes you want the TH&SS at the front taking AP2 shots and if you put it on the cyclone if he fails you loose both tank and heavy weapon. Of course the other side of the question is that you want the cyclone to be the last one to go so you should give him the best protection. There is really no wrong choice, you have to know how the choice adapts to your gaming style and usual opponents.

AS for those extra points, I'm partial but I would go for the libby as a force multiplier. He can bring psychic defense and some neat tricks to augment DW if you pick the right disciplines. Again taht depends on your style and usual opponents.

It's unfortunate that Dark Angels can't select a Storm Shield independently of the Thunder Hammer, like some other chapters can.  It would be nice to have the extra survivability while preserving secondary ranged weaponry like a storm bolter or combi-weapon.

I would put the TH&SS on a non cyclone model. The reason is that sometimes you want the TH&SS at the front taking AP2 shots and if you put it on the cyclone if he fails you loose both tank and heavy weapon. Of course the other side of the question is that you want the cyclone to be the last one to go so you should give him the best protection. There is really no wrong choice, you have to know how the choice adapts to your gaming style and usual opponents.

AS for those extra points, I'm partial but I would go for the libby as a force multiplier. He can bring psychic defense and some neat tricks to augment DW if you pick the right disciplines. Again taht depends on your style and usual opponents.

Thanks, i agree with separate models as a 5 man unit because with the correct placement the cyclone has a good chance of surviving longer. I think when the squad is 6 -7 the cyclone should also get a TH/SS and another guy with additional TH/SS.

I have been leaning towards the libby as it does help the army more, and if i choose to DS turn 2 the pod will have to come down no matter what and will become first possible kill point to the opponent.  But there is something satisfying when placing to flamer templates over a squad :) but ill stick with the libby for now.

It's unfortunate that Dark Angels can't select a Storm Shield independently of the Thunder Hammer, like some other chapters can.  It would be nice to have the extra survivability while preserving secondary ranged weaponry like a storm bolter or combi-weapon.

I know, but DA usually get the short end of the stick :P , but maybe theres hope in the next codex :)

I like your general setup. Welcome to the painful world of Deathwing :)

If you're intending to run a mechanised list I would opt for a unit of DWKs in the Crusader. Nothing wrong with a Librarian as a second-string HQ at all - he's a good force multiplier - but he does suck out points that could be spent on basic termies.

Cheers

I

I would say that the points are best spent making one squad into a command squad, and giving them the fnp banner. As far as force multipliers go, that's huge, and they can deep strike last with belial to give the fnp to everyone on the table. Without that, I don't really see the point of 3x5 terminators, instead I would do a 1x10 and a 1x5, so that you are making the most of belial in a 10 man squad

Archived