Mind Worm + Psychic Shriek

Crazy Jay

I'm sure this combo isn't news or anything but I took down a greater Deamon with this the other day. seems like a solid choice for dealing with large threat single model units. My only complaint is I wish Mind Worm was either S5 D3 wounds or S4 assault 3. Or was always wound on a 4+. It stinks that the things it's typically worth using on has a good toughness.

Anyone else use mind worm or this combo?

Well the good news is that Mind Worm got SORT of better with the 7th edition Focussed Witchfire rules.  Greater Daemons (and any MCs for that matter) have always been great candidates for Mind Worm.  However, like you said the odds aren't in your favor since the things you'd WANT to use it on (MCs) it's allow chance to happen.

Psychic Shriek is the real breadwinner it's pretty much always going to have a better chance to wound than Mind Worm.  Not to rain on your parade, but you got really lucky with it working for you.

Here's an extremely outdated mathhammer on Mind Worm I did last year under the 6th edition rules.  While the ability to land Mind Worm has improved slightly, the major limitation (Look Out Sir) is still the biggest roadblock with this ability.  I certainly expect it to change one day, and if GW doesn't recognize this is a poor ability that's grounds for heresy!

Would mind worm be a good candidate for taking on the Necrons CCB? Focused witch fire so you can place it on the Overlord, AP2 so it ignores armor (still gets RP) and ignores cover so jinking does nothing.

Just a thought.

Would mind worm be a good candidate for taking on the Necrons CCB? Focused witch fire so you can place it on the Overlord, AP2 so it ignores armor (still gets RP) and ignores cover so jinking does nothing.

Just a thought.

Nope because then the Necron player will just choose for the shots to go against the Barge and have no affect. S4 on AV13 = nothing. Even if the quantum shielding was down and you scored a 6 to glance the power says "for each unsaved wound" and as vehicles don't have wounds the power still has no affect.

RAW it certainly looks that way but it doesn't really make any sense unless you factor the 3d6 roll as the roll to hit. Which then doesn't tie in with RAW on witch fire.

So until GW can be bothered to clarify it then its roll to hit

I've scoured round for look out sir on focused witch fire but there's nothing saying you can't pass it on.

In relation to Demons there psychic so get a deny buff + they tend to pack so many dice that casting anything is nigh impossible.

RAW it certainly looks that way but it doesn't really make any sense unless you factor the 3d6 roll as the roll to hit. Which then doesn't tie in with RAW on witch fire.

So until GW can be bothered to clarify it then its roll to hit

I've scoured round for look out sir on focused witch fire but there's nothing saying you can't pass it on.

In relation to Demons there psychic so get a deny buff + they tend to pack so many dice that casting anything is nigh impossible.

The Miniwargaming guys discussed this at length with RAW vs RAI. They came to the conclusion as RAW wasn't really clear and declared a house rule that any Witchfire with weapon profile should be used as a shooting weapon using the normal shooting rules i.e rolling to hit using BS. Any that don't have weapon profile like Psychic Shriek should be resolved as is. That's how we use it at our local.

Here's a link to the video if you guys were interested:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/rules-debate-does-psychic-shriek-need-roll-hit

Yeah Witchfires (the parent ability are always consider shooting attacks) so Shriek always should roll-to-hit.  Granted Ezekiel is a 5, but still.

And yeah LoS is the bane of Mind Worm or any Focussed witchfire, all that hard work to psychic test/roll to hit/roll to wound and then they basically get a 2++ despite it being against ONE'S MIND.  Oh and don't forget that Psychic Shriek was upgraded to be 18" now which is pretty big compared to MW.

I can go on forever on how bad Mind Worm is but I'll spare you all! I don't discourage anyone from trying it, but you can't get frustrated if it never goes off for you because in all probability... it won't.  If it goes off for you then huzzah!

I'm sure this combo isn't news or anything but I took down a greater Deamon with this the other day. seems like a solid choice for dealing with large threat single model units. My only complaint is I wish Mind Worm was either S5 D3 wounds or S4 assault 3. Or was always wound on a 4+. It stinks that the things it's typically worth using on has a good toughness.

Anyone else use mind worm or this combo?

Mind Worm + Horror + Psychic Shriek biggrin.png

Archived