Deconstructing my Dark Angels: Re-booting for 7th changes

Prot

Well Prot I spent the better part of the evening trying to make a 750 point list with Sammael in it that actually "looked" like a Dark Angels list (and used the elite slot per your requirements) and honestly I couldn't do it. Between him, the command squad, and the banner, your pretty much are building a deathstar list that is just too short on the "death" for the points and all of them looked like garbage.

That said, since you were posting some 1K lists above, I thought I would see if I could squeeze out a Ravenwing list using Sammy at that point level. Here are too different takes on it, both of which are based on MSUs with high fire power to points ratio.

List #1 1000 pts. Ravenwing - "Fortitude of Angels"

HQ (410)

Sammael (Corvex) - plasma cannon

Ravenwing Command Squad (3) - Ravenwing Champion, Standard of Fortitude

Elite (120)

Dreadnought (2 x auto cannon)

Fast Attack (150)

Typhoon Land Speeder

Typhoon Land Speeder

Troops (320)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3) - 2x melta guns 1 melta bomb

Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3) - 2x melta guns 1 melta bomb

Attack Bike - multimelta

Attack Bike - multimelta

List Logic - Many units each relatively low in points cost with high firepower output. Target saturation, high toughness, jink, FNP, or AV for defense. Dread & Typhoons open transports early on, Attack bikes counter heavy armor, and the squad bikes provide anti AP2 shooting and obj. sec. Potential use of outflank, Deep Strike, and reserves to counter pod and gun line lists. Attack Bikes also benefit from FNP making them more survivable as well. Lots of options here but would require a fair bit of skill to pull them together.

List #2 1000 pts. Ravenwing - "You brought WHAT???"

HQ (320)

Sammael - (Sableclaw) - wait isn't that the...yes, yes it is.

Ravenwing Command Squad (3)

Elites (120)

Dreadnought (2x auto cannon)

Fast Attack (150)

Typhoon Land Speeder

Typhoon Land Speeder

Troops (270)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3)

Attack Bike - Multimelta

Attack Bike - Multimelta

Heavy Support (140)

Land Speeder Vengeance - yes, I just went there...

List Logic - Okay before you permanently ban my account hear me out. At this point level, your opponent will only have so much anti armor, and much of that will be of the "combi" variety. You have large number of units, great mobility and range, lots of AV and a ton of firepower. If you can un mech your opponent's infantry then it will rapidly become a turkey shoot. Plus there is little enough that can take on a AV14 fast vehicle and you can reserve or Deep Strike both Sableclaw and the Vengeance to thwart drop pod shenanigans. It has no answer for flyers but realistically no DA list will at this point level without some serious investments in Forgeworld or crippling your list elsewhere. If the LSV makes you apoplectic, you can swap it out for another Typhoon plus a Whirlwind; same points but more units and some anti cover options. Soooo much armor....

It all made sense when I wrote it, but I think lack of sleep might have crept in towards the end. :)

Fire away while I start working on the PFG libby version. I love him as a flag carrier but the challenge is, if you use him, the rest of the list starts looking like vanilla marines very quickly because we can't take bikes as troops...

Ultra Magnus

When i put my PFG libby in the CMD squad it's usually for the first turn to ensure some invul for the BK against ignore cover and high AP shot. He usually leave the squad when they are close enough for a charge and get in the thick of my opponent line.

Most of the time at this point, my opponent has to many thing to take care of, and too close to his line to concentrate on the BK's.  

So new take on RW list:

Text
    HTML
    BBCode

997 Pts Dark Angels
HQ
Librarian (150 Pts) FgGren, KrGren, Force Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Psyker LM2, Bike, Power Field Generator, ,
Ravenwing Command Squad (285 Pts)
- Ravenwing Black Knight (5): FgGren, KrGren, Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Plasma Talon, Corvus Hammer, Teleport Hover, Ravenwing Grenade Launcher, Standard Of Fortutide, ,
Troops
Scout Squad (75 Pts)
- Scout (4): FgGren, KrGren, Scout Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter(4), Missile launcher, ,
- Sergeant (1): FgGren, KrGren, Bolter, Bolt Pistol, ,
Scout Squad (75 Pts)
- Scout (4): FgGren, KrGren, Scout Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter(4), Missile launcher, ,
- Sergeant (1): FgGren, KrGren, Bolter, Bolt Pistol, ,
Fast Attack
Ravenwing Black Knight (126 Pts)
- Ravenwing Black Knight (2): FgGren, KrGren, Plasma Talon, Bolt Pistol, Corvus Hammer, Teleport Homer, Ravenwing Grenade Launcher, ,
- Ravenwing Huntmaster (1): FgGren, KrGren, Bolt Pistol, Corvus Hammer, ,
Ravenwing Black Knight (126 Pts)
- Ravenwing Black Knight (2): FgGren, KrGren, Plasma Talon, Bolt Pistol, Corvus Hammer, Teleport Homer, Ravenwing Grenade Launcher, ,
- Ravenwing Huntmaster (1): FgGren, KrGren, Bolt Pistol, Corvus Hammer, ,
Elites
Venerable Dreadnought (160 Pts)
- Dreadnought (1): Multi-melta, Dreadnought CCW, Storm bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers, ,
- Drop Pod (1): Storm bolter, ,
Heavy Support
Fortification
Created by epicroster.com

Lucifer I like your list. Thematic and effective.

My only concerns would be its ability to effectively deal with AV13+ (fairly common with predators, ghost arks, walkers, etc) and low unit count. 6 units in total and if I ignored the damage output of the scouts, I have just 4 to focus on. It puts a lot of faith in that dread's multimelta which might not be able to remove enough hull points before the dread went down.

Maybe downgrade the dread's venerable status and use the points for some melt bombs or combi-melta on the librarian? I don't know where else you could pull the points as the list is very efficient. In a pinch the librarian could cast Prescience on the dread to boost its shooting on the initial drop.

Just some thoughts although I do like the dread being venerable if for nothing else than thematic reasons. Makes him "Deathwing" and supports the combined arms vibe between the two companies.

UM

Archived