Starting BA and 40k from scratch

Blood Priest

Hi Blood Angels! I'm getting back into 40k, the last time I played having been I think 2nd edition when I was a kid. My problem is that I have absolutely no idea where to start. Ultimately I'd like to make a successor chapter focused on daring space and aerial warfare, so thematically I love jump packs/drop pods/terminators. I also love Sanguinary Priests and apothecaries in general. I've read many threads discussing favored units and have gotten impressions on things, but without any real knowledge of the game I have no idea if I'm viewing things accurately.

Should I start with one of the boxed sets? I've seen the Shield of Baal: Deathstorm set on the online store but have no idea if any of it is useful for a new player. Or would it be best to get the rulebooks and just start with the bare minimum needed to play (1 HQ and 2 troops I think, is that right)? I also know nothing about painting so I'll be learning that along the way so I don't mind getting things a unit at a time.

I appreciate any advice the veterans can give a neophyte, and sorry if this is a little vague.

Well sounds like you already know what to start getting- drop pods, jump packs, and terminators.

If thats your fancy then the Deathstorm Box is a good start. Comes with a nice terminator character and squad, along with some death company.

I would suggest getting a box of the new Blood Angels Tactical Marines and Death Company. The sculpts are pretty good, and they (especially the death company box) provide you with all the extra bits to customize your guys.

You can easily make your own unique Sanguinary Priest from the bits in these two kits.

If you really like Terminators, a box of the New Blood Angels Assault Terminators is also good for converting up the basic Tactical Terminator guys you get in the Death Storm box. Plus the new models look awesome.

Also, last but not least, buy the Codex. Welcome to the Blood Angels man! Glory to Sanguinius!

I'll second what he said ^ and add that you should decide early on how much bling you want your BAs to have. If you get the Deathstorm box, you have a Death Company box, a BA dreadnought box, a set of generic terminators and a special character. If you add a box of BA tacticals and terminators, that gives you quite a lot of BA bling. Add a box of generic tacticals and Vanguard Vets and you'll be able to spread the bling out really well. I'd suggest also adding a box of Sanguinary Guard. Grand total would be somewhere in the vicinity of $300 US. You could also shop for deals on ebay if you're willing to buy stuff in pieces, but I'd definitely suggest getting Deathstorm either way. I lucked out when I picked my copy up and was able to find someone interested in the tyranid models so it cut back on the cost a bit.

Thanks for the advice :) While I'm asking about the Deathstorm box, are the models in it the full sets all packaged together. For example, the standard Furioso Dreadnought kit appears to let you make a Furioso, DC Dread, or Librarian Dread. Is that what's in the Deathstorm box?

Yeah it's all the complete models as if you buy the box separately

Unless you plan on running the squads listed as name squads there loadout is a bit underwhelming and pricey for the DC.

Get some magnets this way u can build all the options

If you can find it, the old Blood Angels Battle Force Box wasn't too bad a deal either. The way I see it, a strong core of basic stuff- a few rhinos, drop pods, tactical squads, and of course death company- will be necessary to play in every codex edition. Good places to shore up your painting skills as well before you hit the centerpiece models you want to look real good

Some good advice so far... I was just gonna say, since it seems to go with your desired theme; definitely take Drop-pods with Locator Beacons. Teleport Homers are only good for Termies but the Locator Beacon will work with JP units as well as Termies... and we can only get them on Drop-pods and StormRavens (well and Scout bikes if anyone ever takes those).

I'm slow and only recently figured this out but it works pretty well. :)

Death storm contains around £60 of models in a £72 box, plus the nids.

If you can find a nid mate ( or even if you can't,) its well worth it, you Max out your hqs and elites at 4 half boxes (20 tetmies and 4 dreads)

The DV box is good too, not as good, but not bad.

Sang priests aren't as good as they were (used to bubble multiple units, now just one) but they are still great.

Terminators kinda suck

I love them to bits, but they just don't work right.

Archived